• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  39
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/03/1954

A True Story

I was working with a Christian company when I was in my twenties. A sum of money was given to the employees at one Christmas for the sole purpose to give to a missionary of our own choice. I asked my boss about a missionary that he would suggest, to give my donation to.

My heart was in it. I sent the cheque with a kindly letter stating this might help them get back to the mission field. With this correspondence, I thought I would get a thank you letter from them.

On my way to work for a night shift, I quickly retrieved my letters from the mail box. I instantly opened it and read it. My mouth dropped, my heart sank as I read it.

Not remembering now what it said, in a nicely handwritten letter, the content revealed how nasty and how unthoughtful I was supposed to be sending them the letter and the money, because I had no intentions of continuing support.

Feeling alone with disappointment and heart broken, I threw the letter in the bin. Dragging my feet, I continued to go to work with a gloomy heart.

Maybe being a bit more mature, I could have found out what the problem may have been. I certainly did not mean to hurt them in anyway. Whilst I did not feel guilty or in my mind cause the problem, I prayed for them.

What we do or our reaction to things may not be important to us, but they may be important to others. Sometimes we do things not knowing what we do, can hurt another.

Reaction from others may not stem from what we have done. The reaction could be what someone else has done or what they think has been done to them.

My reaction of throwing the letter away may have been an immature thing to do at the time. It could have been what God expected me to do, so He could do what he wanted for their lives.

We can learn from our mistakes and become the person that God wants us to be. At the same time he can deal with the person that we may have had correspondence with, even if we have lost contact.

We need not feel alone. God knows what he is doing.

For thou art great, and doest wondrous things: thou art God alone. Ps 86:10 KJV

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  373
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,331
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  12/24/1965

Not remembering now what it said, in a nicely handwritten letter, the content revealed how nasty and how unthoughtful I was supposed to be sending them the letter and the money, because I had no intentions of continuing support.

That was dead wrong on their part. Most missionaries are grateful for any kind of donation whatsoever. Afterall, they should be depending upon God to provide all they need. God can use many sources to support His missionaries.

The Bible says we are to give as we are able.

Don't feel bad, it wasn't your fault that they reacted that way.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  179
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

I agree with WYGUY. Unless Poppa told me to do otherwise, I wouldn't send them any more money. Praying for them is always in order though as they obviously need thankful and appreciative hearts.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Yeah, ditto. They shouldn't be demanding life-long donations from people. :emot-questioned:

I do not understand why you would feel guilty for not keeping the letter. What would you have done with it?

What they did was slap you on the right cheek. You did good by praying for them. :)

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  426
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,633
  • Content Per Day:  0.58
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  08/26/1978

When I was a missionary, living 100% by faith, no other income then donations, I was very glad for any money that came. Usually right on time, and Just enough for my needs. I don't know a single one who would explode like that for someone not wanting to support them for years. This is just not right, and I think the reason the missionary exploded was due to a lack of funds due to either a lack of faith, or a lack of integrity, or sheer greed. I have seen all the above sink a persons ministry in missions. Its funny, when you stop obeying the Lord he still loves you but you tend to see your resources dry up, as he ceases to bring you extra blessings. He'll still take care of you, but you will not be abundantly blessed. I know I stayed on at YWAM for just under a year longer then I felt I should have. I re-upped my staff position because I wanted to and did not pray about it, although I felt it was time for me to leave. I disobeyed the still small voice. My support dropped to just enough to barely keep me going, and I left in debt, and am still paying it off. Some other things occurred that caused me deep pain that would not have occurred, if I have left when it was time for me to leave. Non of this was due to the leadership or the ministry, it was all around me. I felt a bit like Jonah!

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  1,823
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Days Won:  2

Forgive and pray for them. Thank God that you are having a wonderful day.

Blessings

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  100
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  10/18/1984

I also agree with wyguy :)

It was good that you prayed for them :)