• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,430
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/18/1981

Greetings in Jesus,

Let me clarify what I was saying here folks, as to not get too many people wound up here. I am in no way saying that it's wrong to read books; I've read/do read my fair share and there's nothing wrong with them.....as long as they agree with the Bible. The point I was trying to make ( and obviously did not convey ), is that the Bible is THE ONLY Word of God to be trusted! If I read a book by Dr. Graham for example, I expect it to first be Biblically sound and true; and second, I only use it as an educational guide to further my walk with God. To gain someone else's perspective; just like we all do here by reading threads.....but whatever is posted here best be in line with the Bible. If it's not, it needs to be tossed out. Same with books, teachings, doctrines, traditions, etc. We are told very clear in the Bible that we are only to trust the Word as preserved by God. Period. I happen to like certain authors, but to I trust them as having authority ? Absolutely not! Only the Bible has that power.

Are books ok to read ? Sure; as the others pointed out. That is not my issue. My issue is in saying - "hey, look at this writing or teaching/doctrine by so & so....wow - I like that better/it's different than the Bible - I think I'm gonna trust in this instead" ;) Why would you even consider that ? Only the Bible is inspired....how do I know ? 'cuz God says so.

I hope I didn't come off too hard on you Dave ? That wasn't my intention. I felt led to make the truth be know up front - before this thread took off; that way we can discuss under some ground rules & understanding and it will be fruitful instead of it taking off in a downward spiral and then we need to lock it and everyone gets upset :P

Hope that cleared this up ? If not, PM Wayne and complain :P :P

God bless,

Bob

Not at all Brother I understand setting ground rules, and was hoping you did not think that was my intent in starting this. Evidentally I was not very clear from the beginning either.

God Bless,

Dave

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,672
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

I think we were all a bit confused.

Bob you made the point (s) that I was trying to make but somehow my words got jumbled. Thanks for clearing the air!

:D

Bob you made the point (s) that I was trying to make but somehow my words got jumbled. Thanks for clearing the air!

Speak for yourself, I have not been confused in like 10 years or so.... :D:P

Bob you made the point (s) that I was trying to make but somehow my words got jumbled.  Thanks for clearing the air!

:P

Speak for yourself, I have not been confused in like 10 years or so.... :D:D

Brat :D

(sorry to hijack the thread but it had to be said)

• Group:  Royal Member

Bob you made the point (s) that I was trying to make but somehow my words got jumbled.  Thanks for clearing the air!

Speak for yourself, I have not been confused in like 10 years or so.... :D:P

And here I thought you lived in a constant state of confusion :x:

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  1,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

I agree Wayne. I enjoy reading the works of Moody, C.S. Lewis, B Graham, and many others. Sometimes they give me thoughts to think on. Things I had overlooked. I believe the Holy Spirit can cpeak to us through these works, but they are NOT scripture. However, they are ABOUT scripture. :P

Also, many books bring us insight into the culture and political nature of the times. This is very helpful to me. :unsure:

I agree with you 100% traveller...I also enjoy reading works from greats like Augustine, St. Frances de Sales, and other more current theologians such as Scott Hahn, and most especially, I love reading encyclicals written by John Paul II. I have learned very much from ALL of them, and they are very helpful to me. :b:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  162
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

The Bible is not a theological hand book, nor is it a histroy text, nor a scientific dissertation, or a record of archeological facts.

The Bible is the WORD of GOD

Through it God reveals Himself and His Salvation Plan for mankind :t2:

It is like no other book because no other book offers us that TRUTH.

Moreover it is the Living Word - that is transformative to our spirit-man. :D

Other books are good- Christian and non Christian- have their purpose and value.

I am a Counslor - so in my training I have had to study many different theories of Psychology. They have their merit.

Many psychological 'truths'/ principles are found in the Bible. However that does not make the Bible a psychology handbook.

The fact that a Psychology Theory is written by some one who is not a Christian also does not invalidate the 'truths' in that persons work. :o

I don't know for instance if Archimedes was a Christian. But His Principle of Displacment is sicentifically true. :)

Anyone pursuing any profession has to study works that contain truths relevant to that discipline /profession.

I have read many wonderful works by non Christians - which attest to me the immense creativity God placed into man's soul; AND SHOWS THE LONGING IN THE HUMAN HEART FOR GOD- Ecclesiastes says God has placed eternity into the heart of man - and we see it often most articulately expressed in a people literature. . .

However there is no TRUTH unto SALVATION except what is found in the Word of God.

That is what separates the Bible from other great literature and from truths in other disciplines. :D .

Blessings - Sachi

Edited by sachi

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  1,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

beautifully stated, sachi! :il:

• Group:  Royal Member

Ok so seems how we all seem to be in agreement here, I will share in Bob's concern that this may be hijack and used for another purpose. So it's Closed now.

God Bless and thanks for the great discussion folks,

Dave