IGNORED

Two Questions For Unbelievers

Guest shiloh357
I'm commenting on how many Christians are unable to view Christianity and their own faith experiences accurately when compared to other faiths. I do not think many Christians are aware of how Christianity works in relation to other faiths. I'm not talking about specific dogma or whose religion is right, just the callow understanding many Christians have of other faiths.

Part of the problem is that I draw a distinction between the Christian "religion" and the authentic faith of the New Testament. That is where the disconnect is. You are talking about a religion. I am talking about being authentic follower of Christ (something you wouldn't know anything about).

Don't you think it is at least common courtesy to not misinform people about other religions?
I am not misinforming anyone about any relgion. Jesus is the only Way to God. Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, Islam will not bring a person to God or salvation. They may have beautiful rituals and stuff, but in the end, all of their followers will go to hell without Christ.

Christianity can be quite cruel as well. In the middle ages Christians would go around looking for Jews to beat up and possibly kill during passover. I honestly don't think Christianity can claim any moral high-ground, there are both good and bad people and doctrines in every religion.

Your problem is that you are not intellectually or theologically equipped to know the difference between a genuine follower of Christ and those who simply carryout attrocities in the name of Jesus. Those were not genuine followers of Christ. They may have called themselves Christians, but they were not Christians.

I guess we differ on the issue. I just don't like the spread of misinformation. I'm not really offended when people do that, but I do think that it is something that should be avoided and corrected in general.
I am not spreading any misinformation about anyone. Frankliy, from what I have seen, you have less than rudimenary understanding of what genuine Christianity is, and are really not in a position to level accusations of misinformation against anyone.

I don't want to be a conservative Christian, the theology/philosophy is just too closed-minded for me.
Well, when there is sin in your life, I can understand why the last thing you would want to be is a Christian (at least a Christian who beleives the Bible). I have met lots of people like you who treat the Bible like a smorgasboard. When you step out into eternity, you will discover, unfortunately, that you were wrong.

And things like divorce rates, murder rates, abortion rates, teen pregnancy etc. (which are higher in the Bible belt and/or among conservative Christians) also doesn't make me enthused to have such theology part of my own.
Much of which is distorted. You are relying more on an urban legend than genuine fact.

But I do think that there is something special about the Christian experience and Christ, I just do not find that transcendent quality in much of conservative Christianity today.
Your problem is with the Bible, not "conservative" Christianity. Your problem is that the Bible confronts your sin and you prefer a version of Christianity that white washes the Bible's condemnation of sin and a version of Christianity that basically rejects the Bible's authority so that you don't have to feel accountable before God. That makes it easer to worship at the altar of evolution and embrace other religions.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy

And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission. Hebrews 9:22

Blood

Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things,

as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers;

But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot: 1 Peter 1:18-19

>>>>>()<<<<<

....Working under the impression that the God who sent his "only begotten son" to die for my sins, and to pay for the original sin, is the same God that blinked the universe into existence with His Will, does it not seem absurd that this great sacrifice is necessary?

If god chooses to forgive his creations for doing that which comes naturally to them, why is this terrific sacrifice necessary? Why are we indebted to the Son of God, an extension of God himself? Why not simply forgive and be done with it? Why is bloodshed a requirement?,,,,

The Same

And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory. 1 Timothy 3:16

Almighty One

See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand. For I lift up my hand to heaven, and say, I live for ever. Deuteronomy 32:39-40

Who Hung On Calvary's Tree

Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. Hebrews 12:2

Is The One Who Called The Worlds Into Existence

That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. John 1:9-10

And Yet He Calls

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life. John 6:47

Come Sinner

I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star. And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely. Revelation 22:16-17

Come

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Romans 10:9-10

Love, Joe

Doesn't do it for me Joey.

Anyone else have a reasonable answer that isn't a direct quote from the book I'm refuting?

Why does God require bloodshed? How can this law that states bloodshed is required be imposed on the creator of everything?

It seems like a very dark and merciless being that would insist on blood and death.

You ask a very interesting question. Why does God require bloodshed?

I am no expert in the field of polytheistic religions, but it is quite obvious that Abrahamic religions derive many concepts and ideology from predating religious dogmas. Bloodshed is one example out of many. Don't take my word for it though. I am sure there is plenty of scholarly research in the field that is available. I am pretty sure that Bart Ehrman has written a little bit on this subject.

Research. In spite of popular belief, knowledge is not the tool of the devil.

:)

Thank You Gentlemen

For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice; and the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings. Hosea 6:6

For Your Considered Opinions

And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission. Hebrews 9:22

And For Reading A Little Of The Source

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23

Of Knowledge

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. 2 Timothy 3:16-17

Without Adding In A Lot Of Fool's Philosophy

Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. Colossians 2:8

From The Heart Of Sinners

The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it? I the LORD search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings. Jeremiah 17:9-10

_________

______

___

Do You Flounder Around In The Dark

But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them. 2 Corinthians 4:3-4

While Cursing The Light

And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. John 3:19-20

But Forgetting To Ask For Knowledge

That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him: Ephesians 1:17

Ask And Be Blessed Beloved

But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God. John 3:21

Love, Joe

PS: Blindly Thinking To Refute The Holy Word Of God

The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. 2 Peter 3:9-10

Is For A Very Short Time, The Sinner's Prerogative

I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness. And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.

He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day. John 12:46-48

PSS: Joey Bishop (Joseph Abraham Gottlieb) Was A Favorite Comic And Entertainer, Thanks For The Complement :)

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,063
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  1

DISCLAIMER: I am not a christian. My opinions are my own. You do not have to accept them if you dislike them.

Dear Fresno Joe,

Thank you for the OP. I shall attempt a response here:

Question #1:

Is it possible that the God of the Bible could reveal some things to us in such a way that we can know them for certain?

Anything is possible. However, not everything is probable. Thus far in my life, I have not experienced the god of the bible revealing anything to me in any manner. Thus, I would venture to estimate that the probability of this happening would be rather slim. However, I am still alive, and I can only continue to live my life. And if this happens, it happens.

Question #2:

How do you know anything for certain?

I don't know anything with absolute certainty. There is always a probability that I may be wrong. However, until further credible evidence arises that contradict other credible evidence upon which I base my understanding, I shall continue on as best as I can.

Regards,

UF

DISCLAIMER: I am not a Christian. My opinions are my own. You do not have to accept them if you dislike them.

Dear Fresno Joe,

Thank you for the OP. I shall attempt a response here:

Question #1:

Is it possible that the God of the Bible could reveal some things to us in such a way that we can know them for certain?

Anything is possible. However, not everything is probable. Thus far in my life, I have not experienced the god of the bible revealing anything to me in any manner. Thus, I would venture to estimate that the probability of this happening would be rather slim. However, I am still alive, and I can only continue to live my life. And if this happens, it happens.

Question #2:

I don't know anything with absolute certainty. There is always a probability that I may be wrong. However, until further credible evidence arises that contradict other credible evidence upon which I base my understanding, I shall continue on as best as I can.

Regards,

UF

Beloved If You Constantly Push Away Form The Table

But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God. Matthew 4:4

You Will Never Know Jesus

Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts. Jeremiah 15:16

Eat~!

And Be Blessed Beloved

Love,Joe

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  13
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

My girlfriend always talks about the rules of literary analysis.........I would sure like to see a list of those rules........sounds to me those rules can be twisted just the way scripture is sometimes twisted...............I guess I can google it......... :whistling:

I have only a layman's interest in higher criticism - my guess is that you too, are a layman in that area - sort of equals aren't we?
No, I am not a layman, and no we are not equqls. I am a student of Scripture and far more than a layman's interest/knowledge of Scripture.

As you suggest in your last sentence, different scholars have reached different conclusions, and while that may irk some people, I find it quite interesting
I wasn't talking about different conclusions. I was talking about the way higher criticism violates the rules of literary analysis.

Would you like to talk about Psalm 53 and Matthew 5:22 or shall we give up on that one?
I have already explained them and reposted it about five or six posts back, this morning. If you like you may respond to my explanation and we can go from there.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  13
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Must admit Bob, I also never understood the whole blood sacrafice thing either.......it seems so, so, barbaric if you will. :noidea:

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Corrupt are they, and have done abominable iniquity: there is none that doeth good. Psalms 53:1

Interesting that you quote a Psalmist who calls unbelievers fools, when Matthew (5:22) makes it clear that: "...whoever says 'You fool!' shall be liable to the hell of fire."

Is the Psalmist in hell do you think?

Just for the record, and despite what the Psalmist has written, I am not corrupt, and I have not done abominable iniquity. I am surprised that you are prepared to imply that perhaps I have. Would you care to elaborate?

First of all, the NT passage you cited is referring to a type of slander. It is not slander for the Psalmist to call an unbeliever a fool.

Secondly, you are corrupt because of what you are not because of what you do. Everything you do in the context of being an unbeliever is inquity before God. You are incabable of pleasing God. Your best deeds on your best day are as filthy menstrual rags before God. You are born a sinner and you have a sentence of death hanging over your head. You are born separated from God and at enmity with Him. You are under the curse of His law and are going headlong down a path to eternal destruction unless you repent and receive Jesus as your Savior.

That is the condition you are in. God loves you enough that He sent His Son to Jesus take upon Himself the penalties of your sin and to provide you with the free gift of eternal life. It is yours for the taking. If you choose continued separation from God, you will face the consequences for that choice.

Working under the impression that the God who sent his "only begotten son" to die for my sins, and to pay for the original sin, is the same God that blinked the universe into existence with His Will, does it not seem absurd that this great sacrifice is necessary?

If god chooses to forgive his creations for doing that which comes naturally to them, why is this terrific sacrifice necessary? Why are we indebted to the Son of God, an extension of God himself? Why not simply forgive and be done with it? Why is bloodshed a requirement?

Salvation

For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell;

And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.

And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled

In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight: Colossians 1:19-22

Is Of The LORD

Must admit Bob, I also never understood the whole blood sacrifice thing either.......it seems so, so, barbaric if you will. :noidea:

Dear One If A Man Could See himself As God Does

As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:

There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.

They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

Their throat is an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips:

Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness:

Their feet are swift to shed blood:

Destruction and misery are in their ways:

And the way of peace have they not known:

There is no fear of God before their eyes. Romans 3:10-18

He Could Cry Out

Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.

The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.

I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.

And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. Luke 18:10-13

For Redemption

Or Not

Believe

And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation; Revelation 5:9

And Be Blessed Beloved

Love, Joe

• Group:  Seeker
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  290
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/05/1959

From The Blog Of Eric Hovind

Question #1:

Question #2:

A person individually sets the threshold for certainty. Once that is met, they accept their own certainty in the matter. It's just the way it works. They say they are certain and they are. It doesn't mean they are correct in their thinking. Only that they are certain.

Personally I don't. My threshold for certainty is too high for even me to meet. However I accept that something is reasonably true if supported by a reasonable rational argument.

Edited by Nakosis

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

From The Blog Of Eric Hovind

Question #1:

Question #2:

A person individually sets the threshold for certainty. Once that is met, they accept their own certainty in the matter. It's just the way it work. They say they are certain and they are. It doesn't mean they are correct in their thinking. Only that they are certain.

Personally I don't. My threshold for certainty is too high for even me to meet. However I accept that something is reasonably true if supported by a reasonable rational argument.

So I guess faith dosn't do it for you then?

Do you play chess?

Oh, and, welcome to Worthy.

• Group:  Seeker
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  290
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/05/1959

So I guess faith dosn't do it for you then?

I have a certain degree of faith in myself and a certain degree of faith in a few people I know.

Unless you mean like faith in the writers of the Bible. Or faith in "God".

I see no reason why God would expect people to rely solely on faith.

It's necessary in the beginning to place your faith in an individual in matters your are ignorant of, you know like your parents when you are a kid or a teacher.

However ignorance should not be an incurable condition. A teacher should guide one to the point they can make their own determination about the truth of a matter. A teacher that leaves one in a perpetual state of ignorance is no teacher at all.

Do you play chess?

As a matter of fact I do. In fact it's kind of a serious hobby with me. So, kind of surprising you'd ask.

Oh, and, welcome to Worthy.

Thank you, I appreciate the welcome.