Housing trouble

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,413
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

Hello. I've posted here before, and like my other post this one doubles as a prayer request. I've been playing caregiver for my grandmother ever since I got out of highschool, and her health issues have been getting worse. The rest of the family tends to take advantage of her, so between that and her increasingly bad dementia and other health issues she's gone pretty deep into debt. We're at the point where we're about to be foreclosed on and evicted. We've probably got all of December and maybe January to find a new place, but we can't count on January. This is alright. We're in agreement about needing to move. The house is falling apart from old age and all the abuse it's taken from our relatives, and we want to get away from them and go somewhere that's more senior friendly for her and would have some employment options for me. There are just other problems.

Despite having months to save, we haven't saved much. She keeps giving the money away to family members (who are most likely using it to buy beer and drugs) and splurging, and she's of the impression that her credit score is great and she can get a loan with no problems. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Our location of choice is Manhattan, Kansas, which is out of state for us. It meets a lot of our requirements very nicely. I'd rather we bought a mobile home than rent a place. Even with lot rent and insurance taken into account it's looking to be a considerably cheaper option, especially if you're coming with pets. All the online listings I've found have wanted to charge quite a bit for pets and limit it to two. We have five, and I'm not too keen on giving up any of them. They're family. Right now we're having trouble finding a lender who's going to give us the time of day. Getting a 5% down payment isn't a problem, and with her pension or me getting a job up there the monthly payments wouldn't be a problem. It's just her credit issues over these past two years and my medical bills and lack of employment. I'm not really sure what we can do or where to even look after all the lenders we've talked to.

I've also been struggling over the issue of whether or not she should go into a nursing home in the near future. She's still mentally living in the time when loans and bankruptcy were much easier to get and before her debt started piling up. She takes it personally and gets extremely vicious whenever anyone suggests otherwise, and she's that way with a lot of things that just aren't so. Sadly this is true of her health issues as well. She's diabetic, and there's absolutely no getting her to eat right. Every time I feel like I'm at the end of my rope I find the resolve to go a little further. I'm hoping that moving will help out a lot since it will remove the stress and financial strain of the relatives here that are just taking advantage of her. Even then I'm not sure how much further I can or should go in taking care of her, since she's getting really difficult to be around. Any prayers or advice are appreciated.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

Praying.. just try not to borrow money if you can. It's better to save up and pay for something you want. I would say a rental is better than a mobile home because mobile homes don't rise in value.. regardless do what you think best. I'm praying for you.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  426
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,633
  • Content Per Day:  0.58
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  08/26/1978

Praying,

Also I recommended the book "The Total Money Makeover" by Dave Ramsey. Its a great book and He loves the Lord, so much so, while its a financial book a friend of mine said "its good info but why does he have to talk about God so much!"

• Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  540
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  32,935
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  232
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

:emot-pray::emot-pray::emot-pray::emot-pray::emot-pray::emot-pray::emot-pray:

• Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,166
  • Content Per Day:  0.45

praying.

love your sister in Christ,

Rebekah David

• Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

Praying,

Also I recommended the book "The Total Money Makeover" by Dave Ramsey. Its a great book and He loves the Lord, so much so, while its a financial book a friend of mine said "its good info but why does he have to talk about God so much!"

I have the same book, highly recommended!

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,823
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Days Won:  2

Praying

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,413
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

Thank you all for the prayers. She's had bloody urine since the time of my last post. We talked to her urologist's office yesterday, and they can't take her in for an appointment until Monday. I've been trying to get her to go to the hospital since they said that, but it's turning out to be an uphill battle.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Thank you all for the prayers. She's had bloody urine since the time of my last post. We talked to her urologist's office yesterday, and they can't take her in for an appointment until Monday. I've been trying to get her to go to the hospital since they said that, but it's turning out to be an uphill battle.

May the Lord undertake for you mightily in all these needs. +