IGNORED

"Extreme Couponing" TLCs new show.

Guest LadyC

ummm, are you saying that these people are sinning when they have the time, talent, and desire to spend what God gives them as wisely as possible? to use good stewardship to provide for their families?

please tell me that's not what you're implying.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  13
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/21/1984

My pastor told me a story of when his wife and he went to Africa to visit his wife's sister. There was an old woman there who had a chicken. She walked for miles with that chicken and gave it to them as a gift, told them that they should enjoy it. His sister in law told them that this chicken was all she had- nothing else. This would have fed the old woman's family and yet, she wanted to give it to them as an offering. They couldn't refuse because to do so would be a grave insult. They declined by saying that they had to go back that day to Canada, and wouldn't be able to enjoy the chicken- that they hoped she would enjoy it for them. The old woman insisted, saying they should take the chicken anyways and feed their family back in Canada. Eventually, she was persuaded to keep her last chicken.

I talked with a church friend who were fortunate to go to Africa on missionary work. She said that if you looked like you were in need of something and one of the poor they taught thought they had that thing you needed, they'd give it to you without a forethought. She said that the faith of those people who had so little, was beautiful. They sang everywhere they went- walked for miles for a bag of rice and always were happy and God loving people.

No wonder the faith of our western societies is lacking when we have everything at our fingertips. What sacrifices are we making for the sake of convenience?

Guest LadyC

my faith isn't lacking, but that doesn't mean that when God gives me the knowledge and wisdom to save money, i'm obedient to do so. it's called stewardship.

you never answered my question. lovely little dance you did though. so please, answer me now. be straightforward, without doing another little jig.

are you saying that if someone has the time, talent, and ability to save money while providing for their family, that they are in sin?

• Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  13
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/21/1984

I'm done talking to you. Clearly, you people don't know the meaning of what I'm trying to say. I guess that's the attitude of America though-- CONSUME, CONSUME, CONSUME, CONSUME. TAKE, TAKE, TAKE. And you all see nothing wrong with collapsing water tables when you have a burgeoning, greedy masses trying to sate. But oh, it's alright because you are stewards... right... responsible stewards-- don't think so.

Goodbye.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

I'm done talking to you. Clearly, you people don't know the meaning of what I'm trying to say. I guess that's the attitude of America though-- CONSUME, CONSUME, CONSUME, CONSUME. TAKE, TAKE, TAKE. And you all see nothing wrong with collapsing water tables when you have a burgeoning, greedy masses trying to sate. But oh, it's alright because you are stewards... right... responsible stewards-- don't think so.

Goodbye.

Perhaps it's because what you perceive to be greed, is not greed. If you are so disgusted and discouraged by the show in question - why do you watch it? Most t.v.'s have an off or change channel function. If these people have the ability to plan and shop wisely using manufacturer's coupons - supporting their families, and food banks ... how is that greed or over consumption of resources? What are you talking about really? So far, it's not clear. :noidea:

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  19
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/18/1967

I don't watch tv, but I did used to coupon and rebate when kids were little. I always had enough to help my neighbors. I also recycled, gardened, and shopped at second hand stores. I don't believe that earning or saving money is a bad thing. Though I do understand that hoarding is not a good thing either.

• 3 months later...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,798
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

Nothing wrong with using coupons.