IGNORED

Conflict of Ages

Guest Jipsah

A website is now available for a free copy of the book, Conflict of Ages, a Treatise on the Dichotomy between Military Service and Christian Pacifism, on the website: http://www.christianpacifism.com

The book deals with the Old Testament view of warfare, the New Testament teachings of Jesus; the attitude of the early Church toward the military; a history of Christian pacifism from apostolic times to the present, and the present role of the Christian pacifist.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I just found this in C.S. Lewis' book Mere Christianity I think it supports how I feel on the subject:

"Does loving your enemy mean not punishing him?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  252
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,859
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Birthday:  03/16/1963

:thumb: Way to go Jaeson.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  193
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  01/05/1954

What about murder in self-defence? Does he say anything about it? Sorry if it's off topic.

Actually, Tatie, I think you are on topic.  Someone, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Dan Shubin is a Jehovah's Witness, and I think Jehovah's Witnesses are not allowed to kill in self-defence.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  252
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,859
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Birthday:  03/16/1963

Killing in self-defense it justifable by God. God however does not want His people to become warmongers without cause. A lot of people justify Jesus as being a pacifist by New Testament scriptures such as turning the other cheek. This is the same type of logic as people use today for the "constitutional" separation of church and state.

The separation of Church and state was for one reason and one reason only. That was to keep the government from mandating a single religion on the people as the Romans dis with the Catholic Church. Jesus was talking about turning the other cheek when out evangelizing (soul winning) in his name. You are never to use violence or retaliation to proclaim Gods word. Obviously this is something that the Muslims never picked up on.

Guest Jipsah

If a Christian is conscripted into the military, and is ordered to go attack Christians in another country (or in his own) when those people have done nothing worthy of violence, and/or the sole reason for attacking them is to enhance some politician's career or to advance some political end or the other, should the Christian go and fight, or refuse?

I hope I'd have the guts to refuse.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  400
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

Look up just war theory and you will get lots of hits. We as believers do have to consciously object to an unjust war.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  189
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Jipsah do you have a for instance there. I'm trying to think of one and can not come up with it. But I must say I'm not very educated in all the wars.

LOve in Christ

Teri