• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  373
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,331
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  12/24/1965

False May 21, 2011 Doomsday prophet Harold Camping "deserts" devastated followers, church offers solace

Doomsday prophet Harold Camping, who predicted that the End of the World would come on May 21, 2011, has gone missing ever since it became increasingly clear that his prediction is going to fail, even as local churches willingly stepped in to provide counseling and help to Camping's devastated followers.

Camping, the head of the Family Radio, had predicted that the selected number of people on earth, approximately 200 million, would Rapture to heaven on May 21, 2011 while those left behind would witness the destruction of the earth which would come about on October 21, 2011.

He has based his predictions on Bible verses, namely Genesis 7:4 ("Seven days from now I will send rain on the earth") and 2 Peter 3:8 (

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  17
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/04/1981

False May 21, 2011 Doomsday prophet Harold Camping "deserts" devastated followers, church offers solace

Doomsday prophet Harold Camping, who predicted that the End of the World would come on May 21, 2011, has gone missing ever since it became increasingly clear that his prediction is going to fail, even as local churches willingly stepped in to provide counseling and help to Camping's devastated followers.

Camping, the head of the Family Radio, had predicted that the selected number of people on earth, approximately 200 million, would Rapture to heaven on May 21, 2011 while those left behind would witness the destruction of the earth which would come about on October 21, 2011.

He has based his predictions on Bible verses, namely Genesis 7:4 ("Seven days from now I will send rain on the earth") and 2 Peter 3:8 (

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

I agree, they really need prayer. And they need something solid under their feets... solid leadership that will point them to the bible (honestly, did they not read "no one knows the hour"?) and to Jesus rather than man.

I'm glad to see that other churches are stepping up to the plate on this and reaching out to those who were mislead by Camping. Those who really belong to Jesus but were mislead will be hurting -- but there are many also who will be embittered by this also. The unbelievers are already having a field day with some of this stuff, but it does open doors to talk about Christ, too.

• Topic Count:  373
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,331
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  12/24/1965

What really bothers me is some people may look at Camping's failed prediction and conclude that Christianity in it's entirety is false.

What really bothers me is some people may look at Camping's failed prediction and conclude that Christianity in it's entirety is false.

That was devils intent when he first whispered that prediction into Camping's ear.

I agree, they really need prayer. And they need something solid under their feets... solid leadership that will point them to the bible (honestly, did they not read "no one knows the hour"?) and to Jesus rather than man.

Misinterpretation.

Blind followers of the blind.

Guest Alligator guy

Sadly it wouldn't be the first time (nor it will be the last) a Teleevegalivist(sp) done or said something that puts Christians in a bad light. There is a reason why I don't watch Pat Robertson, Joel Olsteen, Benny Hinn, etc is becuase for one, they go a good job making us look bad.

1. One example: Right after Pat Robertson went off saying that "the Haitians deseve to be destroyed by the earthquake because of they were sinners" and this was right after the disaster no less, these anti-christian blogs and what not of course went bonkers.

I saw one post on one of them that said this: "I'm glad that christians have Pat Robertson and others on tv like him becuase it shows the worlld what christians really are a hate-filled (I will let you fill in the blank on that one) that should never of existed." Another one said this: "People wonder why Christianity is dying."

As someone who was raised Lutheran and has started getting back into the faith I have few things about this:

It would be very easy to dismiss these two and other hateful comments but, sadly they are right to an extent. People who are not familiar with the Christian faith see exactly the stuff Robertson says and would have to ask "is this typical of Christians?" Then when you tell these people about your faith, they simply think of you as some kook. You can say "Pat Robertson don't speak for us" but you might be asked "why do you people watch him and others like him if he doesn't for you?"

It is the same thing with the Tea Party Movement. I'm not part of it but my roommate is and pretty much the same deal with the same thing. Whenever he tells other students about his being a Tea Party member, he gets labled "racist" becasue of few higher ups in the movememnt were exposed using racial slurs.

Same with us with regards to consevation (but not as bad to be honest becase the media hasn't really done many stories on Eco-terrorists and whatnot).

It also seems these type of preachers do the "Do as I say, not as I do." To me (and most others) I know we are all fallible but, let us not be telling people not to visit prositutes WHEN YOU ARE DOING IT YOURSELF. Just like if I see Jack Hanna driving down the road in a gas guzzling SUV with his wife wearing a fur coat of a endangered species. I will be asking questions his advocating conservation and yet he is doing the oppisite

Edited by Alligator guy