• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  373
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,331
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  12/24/1965

The Gospel of Greed - Exposing the Lifestyles of TV Ministers

They are some of the most popular TV preachers in the country, packing their mega churches each week and taking in millions every year. They urge the faithful followers to donate generously and in return the Lord will bring them prosperity.

There's no denying some people have prospered handsomely

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  426
  • Content Count:  3,633
  • Content Per Day:  0.58
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  08/26/1978

The only tv preachers I ever watched were the ones that were on the local tv channel, that all they broadcast to was the city they lived in. And then its not one person, its simply the churches, local broadcast of its Sunday morning service, and I know the pastors, they live in, nice but modest homes, and give, give ,give like crazy to missions and everything else.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  732
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  04/30/1971

It's "evangelists" like these that turn so many people off to Christianity. I don't expect them to live in a cardboard box, but there's a line they've crossed from having their needs met to living a life of obscene greed. I cannot fathom why so many people fall for their lies. Why would anyone send more money to someone who lives like that? If they need money for some "mission," they could sell off a few cars, planes, and houses. But then most of them preach that "gospel of prosperity" garbage so they live this lifestyle without an ounce of shame.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  426
  • Content Count:  3,633
  • Content Per Day:  0.58
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  08/26/1978

Steve Taylor, a musician that I like wrote this song.

You don't owe me nothing

There was a time in Christendom

The road to God was hard to tread

'Til charlatans in leisure suits

Saw dollars dancing in their heads

You don't owe me nothing

You don't owe me nothing

You don't owe me nothing

You don't owe me nothing

[ Lyrics from: http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/s/steve_taylor/you_dont_owe_me_nothing.html ]

I heard her say, she struck a deal

Her faith will bring in money bags

I'm heading for the mercy seat

My goodness looks like dirty rags

You don't owe me nothing

You don't owe me nothing

You don't owe me nothing

You don't owe me nothing

Need I even say

You don't owe me nothing

Why did you give it anyway?

I know you'll give me what I need

They say I need a shopping mall

I claim the victory over greed

Lord Jesus, I surrender all

You don't owe me nothing

You don't owe me nothing

You don't owe me nothing

You don't owe me nothing

More lyrics: http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/s/steve_taylor/#share

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,924
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/22/1953

I have a theory that for pastors, as fame and fortune increase, temptations they encounter increase exponentially. In other words, it is very difficult for mortal men (and women) not to fall victim to all the pitfalls inherent in pastoring a very large flock (whether it be on TV or to a mega-church).

In fact, the only long-standing, huge ministry that I can think of that hasn't been touched by scandal is Billy Graham's. (though I am sure there are others)

Back in the mid-80s, my wife and I and some members of our church attended a John Maxwell conference in San Diego. Now granted, Maxwell's ministry wasn't huge on the scale of a Copeland or Benny Hinn, but he was somewhat of a super star in "holiness" circles.

He did something during that week of conferences that has stuck with me: He went up on stage and surrounded himself with his staff, and he prayed with and for his staff. Among other things, he prayed that they would always be honest with him (not "yes-men") and they would hold him accountable to the Lord. As I describe it, it sounds rather un-sincere - but believe me it was a very transparent event. Maxwell came across a very sincere and humble.

This was at the beginning of the TV evangelist scandals, and Maxwell did not want to fall prey to what we saw all around us.

Now Maxwell went on to write books, and he may even be retired now. But I've never been aware of any hint of scandal - he's remained true to his calling.

To me, he showed how it should be done if one is called by the lord to a large ministry: Don't get caught up in the trappings of fame and fortune; don't surround yourself with yes-men.

Remain humble in the sight of the Lord.

Blessings!

-Ed

Reminds me of a song that Ray Stevens sings...

Woke up this mornin' turned on my TV set

There in livin' color was somethin' I can't forget

This man was preachin' at me.. yeah.. layin' on the charm

Asking me for 20 with 10,000 on his arm

He wore designer clothing and a big smile on his face

Selling me salvation while they sang Amazing Grace

Asking me for money when he had all the signs of weath

Almost wrote a check out.. yeah.. but then I asked myself…

Would He wear a pinky ring, would He drive a fancy car

Would His wife wear furs and diamonds, would His dressing room have a star

If he came back tomorrow there's something I'd like to know

Would Jesus wear a rolex on His television show

Would Jesus be political if he came back to earth

Have his second home in Palm Springs.. yeah.. but try to hide his worth

Take money from those poor folks when He comes back again

And admit He's talked to all those preachers who said they'd been-a talking to Him

Would He wear a pinky ring, would He drive a fancy car

Would His wife wear furs and diamonds, would His dressing room have a star

If he came back tomorrow there's something I'd like to know

Could ya tell me - Would Jesus wear a rolex

Would Jesus wear a rolex

Edited by CCole1983

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  732
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  04/30/1971

I have a theory that for pastors, as fame and fortune increase, temptations they encounter increase exponentially. In other words, it is very difficult for mortal men (and women) not to fall victim to all the pitfalls inherent in pastoring a very large flock (whether it be on TV or to a mega-church).

In fact, the only long-standing, huge ministry that I can think of that hasn't been touched by scandal is Billy Graham's. (though I am sure there are others)

Back in the mid-80s, my wife and I and some members of our church attended a John Maxwell conference in San Diego. Now granted, Maxwell's ministry wasn't huge on the scale of a Copeland or Benny Hinn, but he was somewhat of a super star in "holiness" circles.

He did something during that week of conferences that has stuck with me: He went up on stage and surrounded himself with his staff, and he prayed with and for his staff. Among other things, he prayed that they would always be honest with him (not "yes-men") and they would hold him accountable to the Lord. As I describe it, it sounds rather un-sincere - but believe me it was a very transparent event. Maxwell came across a very sincere and humble.

This was at the beginning of the TV evangelist scandals, and Maxwell did not want to fall prey to what we saw all around us.

Now Maxwell went on to write books, and he may even be retired now. But I've never been aware of any hint of scandal - he's remained true to his calling.

To me, he showed how it should be done if one is called by the lord to a large ministry: Don't get caught up in the trappings of fame and fortune; don't surround yourself with yes-men.

Remain humble in the sight of the Lord.

Blessings!

-Ed

I don't know anything about John Maxwell. Never heard of him. But I think you're onto something with your theory about the bigger the church or "ministry" the stronger and more numerous the temptations. It starts with the temptation to compromise your principles, I think. Sadly, I've seen it first hand. When I was young I attended a small Pentecostal church. I was raised Baptist, but started attending church with my best friend after my home church opted to do some things that I just couldn't accept. (LONG story. ;) ) She used to call me a "Bapticostal." :21: Anyway, while I did not agree with everything they believed (namely the women should only wear dresses, no makeup, and never cut their hair) I did have great respect for the pastor and his wife because they stood so firm in their convictions. I remember him making some of the younger girls wash the makeup they were wearing off before we went to a multi-denominational event once because they were representing the church and it's beliefs. (I'm not advocating his beliefs, or even his actions, I'm just demonstrating that he made it a point to stand up for what he believed.)

That was more than 20 years ago. That same church, with the same pastor, has no grown to something much closer to a mega-church. I moved away long before it happened, but I know they no longer adhere to the beliefs they once held in such high regard. My best friend's mother told me several years ago that she isn't sure why they don't "have" to wear dresses any more. "Times change," she said. (Sounding sad and confused.)

While I never did share all this church's beliefs, I did love their sincere hearts and they way they so faithfully sought God. Geron Davis's song, "Holy Ground" could have been written for this church. Because it was one place where I truly did "sense His presence" when I "walked through the door." Now, the church is so big that all the members can't possibly know each other. The tenets they built the church upon have been set aside for the sake of "drawing more people in." And I think that's how it always starts. Compromises are made for the sake of getting more people in the pews - usually with only the best intentions - but then it just snowballs until eventually it stops being about serving God, or evangelizing, or feeding the flock and becomes all about the money.

• Topic Count:  373
  • Content Count:  3,331
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  12/24/1965

I think it all begins when a pastor buys a watch that costs more than an average house. When he can check the time on such a watch and not think about how many people that money could have fed, it's too late...

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

speaking of songs:

Dr. Jekyll, Mr. Christian

by WhiteHeart

You wear a Sunday suit and tie,

Everybody thinks you're such a guy,

Climbing up the American dream,

Got the whole world on a golden string,

You got the glow, a shiny face,

Respectable man with holy taste,

You got that family pew reserved,

When the hymns are sung your voice is heard,

But late one night you got your plan - you'd be religious on demand.

Dr. Jekyll, Mr. Christian,

It's a mask you wear to hide,

You got a notion God's a potion, and it works most every time,

Dr. Jekyll, Mr. Christian.

Experimented with your eyes just to get a bigger piece of pie,

I really think you do believe, yet you use religion to deceive,

So when it's time for you-know-who you feel the change come over you.

You got a notion God's your potion, and it works most every time,

What is faith?

What is a lie?

Don't you know that, can't you see that God is not your alibi?

Now when the change comes over you there's almost nothing you can do.

You got a notion God's your potion, and it works most every time,

What is faith?

What is a lie?

Don't you know that, can't you see that God is not your alibi?

You got a notion God's a potion, and it works most every time,

God is not your alibi,

Is not your alibi,

God is not your alibi,

God is not your alibi.

I think it all begins when a pastor buys a watch that costs more than an average house. When he can check the time on such a watch and not think about how many people that money could have fed, it's too late...

How very true . . . :thumbsup:

Or:

When a preacher can get on TV wearing a suit worth more than I make in 6 months -- and have the gall to ask for a $1000 "seed" donation with a straight face. :blink: