• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  115
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/06/1974

I just want to remind you guys that this thread was based on an article I wrote for the Examiner. In this article, I do argue that it is not possible to lose your salvation but sin has its own set of consequences. If you are interested, please check it out. It might either give you a new perspective or something to argue.

http://www.examiner.com/christianity-in-west-palm-beach/dear-fearful-is-it-possible-to-loose-your-salvation-read-on

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

I just want to remind you guys that this thread was based on an article I wrote for the Examiner. In this article, I do argue that it is not possible to lose your salvation but sin has its own set of consequences. If you are interested, please check it out. It might either give you a new perspective or something to argue.

http://www.examiner.com/christianity-in-west-palm-beach/dear-fearful-is-it-possible-to-loose-your-salvation-read-on

I do believe we have the jest of your article, and that some of us have already read it.

Guest shiloh357
James 5

19 Brethren, if anyone among you wanders from the truth, and someone turns him back,

20 let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death and cover a multitude of sins.

First of all this is not talking about salvation from sin.

To "wander from the truth" refers to a departure from a bliblcal standard of living. This is not referencing a rejection of Christ, but a straying from how one should live. It refers to a form of moral apostasy and James is talking about a believer intervening in the life of a believer who has erred and helping him return to proper conduct. All of us potentially can stray from the truth. Being weak is and having seasons where your walk is not what it should be is a reality of the Christian experience.

James is talking about the moral virtue of godly correction and why being part of a congregation/fellowship of believers is so important. We have people to whom we are accountable and who can sharpen us and keep us on the right way. That is a vital element to the Christian life.

"Covering a multitude of sins" or "hiding a multitude of sins" was an ancient proverbial phrase (used various times in Scripture in both OT and NT and even in ancient secular writings) that simply means that we refuse to look at those sins any longer. In other words, when a believer intervenes in the life of another believer who has strayed from the right path, and brings him back from the error of his ways, the congregation is not going to continue looking at the sins of the repentant believer. He is restored as if he never sinned in the first place.

Why don't you just post the article?

First off, the question indicates the one asking is not clear about what "salvation" is.

Salvation is not just a get out of hell pass. It is the way out of a predestined doom in hell forever and ever.

John 3:18 (KJV)

18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Our salvation is also a redemption.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 (KJV)

19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God

Guest Tony&Michelle

I believe that My salvation can be given up by me. Taken? As in by another force? no. Salvation is A gift. A gift can be taken or refused. Its like the bologna that your soul can be taken....or inadvertantly be given up. My soul doesnt belong to me, it belongs to God...I cant give it away and God will not allow it to be taken.

Can you loose your salvation? Once you have recieved Christ in your life, can your salvation be taken back by your actions? What if you are a Christian, claim to accept Christ and yet have an affair on your spouse? What if you struggle with lust or are having pre-marital sex. What if you simply accept Christ, yet it's party all the time? Can you still claim to be a Christian? Can you still say you know the lord? Is it possible to have once been saved, yet not be saved anymore?

There are those in the church that believe this is in fact possible. That you can loose your salvation. There are others that believe that you cannot loose it, God doesnt take it away but you can in fact "give it up".

Read my latest examiner article. It investigates each of these claims.

What do you believe. Can you loose salvation? Can you surrender it? Once you have it, is it yours for all time? Post what you think and dont forget to check out the article.

Edited by Tony&Michelle

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Agreed!

"We are punished by our sins, not for them"

Guest shiloh357

I believe that My salvation can be given up by me. Taken? As in by another force? no. Salvation is A gift. A gift can be taken or refused. Its like the bologna that your soul can be taken....or inadvertantly be given up. My soul doesnt belong to me, it belongs to God...I cant give it away and God will not allow it to be taken.

There is not one Scriptural example of a Christians giving up their salvation. The idea that a Christian can at some point in the future reject salvation fails to take into account the transformational aspect of salvation and several other aspects connected to salvation such as the nature of justification.

Agreed!

"We are punished by our sins, not for them"

"Punished by our sins"........Really? You honestly believe that?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  115
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/06/1974

Fantastic One Light. Then that post would be for anyone ELSE who would like to read it.

I do believe we have the jest of your article, and that some of us have already read it.