~candice~

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

OK, I'm missing something here in my study.

I'm reading through the minor prophets along with the history relevant to them.

2Ki 14:25 He restored the border of Israel from the entering of Hamath to the sea of the plain, according to the Word of Jehovah, the God of Israel which He spoke by the hand of his servant Jonah, the son of Amittai, the prophet, who was from Gath-hepher.

It all started with a study in Micah.

So as far as I can tell, the neo-assyrian empire is growing in the north, and so is the threat against Israel. The prophecy is for the northern Kingdom of Israel, however they are rather hard of hearing and don't take heed, they are rather comfortable at this period in time.

Prior to this, Jonah had been to Ninevah the capital of Assyria, and they repented:

Jon 3:5 And the people of Nineveh believed God. And they called a fast, and put on sackcloth, from the greatest of them even to the least of them.

Jon 3:6 For word came to the king of Nineveh, and he arose from his throne. And he laid his robe from him, and covered himself with sackcloth, and sat in ashes.

Jon 3:7 And he cried out and said in Nineveh by the decree of the king and his great ones, saying, Do not let man or beast, herd or flock taste anything; do not let them feed, nor drink water.

Jon 3:8 But let man and animal be covered with sackcloth, and cry mightily to God. And let them each one turn from his evil way, and from the violence that is in their hands.

But it isn't much later in history that Assyria has captured Samaria as Micah prophesied (that prophesy came about pretty quickly).

Mic 1:5 All this is for the transgression of Jacob, and for the sins of the house of Israel. What is the transgression of Jacob? Is it not Samaria? And what are the high places of Judah? Are they not Jerusalem?

Mic 1:6 And I will make Samaria into ruins of the field, planting places for a vineyard; and I will pour down her stones into the valley, and I will uncover her foundations.

Mic 1:7 And all her graven images shall be beaten to pieces, and all her gifts shall be burned with the fire, and I will destroy all its idols. For she gathered it from the reward of a harlot, and they shall return to the reward of a harlot.

So where is the change of the heart of the Assyrians or is it not recorded? They went from repentance to attacking and beseiging Samaria in a relatively short period of time.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I am not understanding something in your train of thought.

The repentance of Ninevah was pleading to God concerning their own sin.

The attacking of Samaria was the judgment against Samaria, not Assyria.

Yes, I understand, but Assyria was the vehicle God used to bring this judgement upon Samaria.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

I believe that Assyria was raised up by God as an instrument of Judgment. However, they became proud and haughty about it and even exceeded their mandate by multiplying their cruelty;

Isa 10:5

¶ O Assyrian, the rod of my anger, the staff in their hand is my indignation.

Isa 10:6

I will send him against a godless nation, and against the people of my wrath will I give him a charge, to take the spoil, and to take the prey, and to tread them down like the mire of the streets.

Isa 10:7

Yet he means not so, neither does his heart think so; but it is in his heart to destroy and cut off nations, not a few.

Isa 10:8

For he says, Are not my princes altogether kings?

Isa 10:9

Is not Calno as Carchemish? is not Hamath as Arpad? is not Samaria as Damascus?

Isa 10:10

As my hand has found the kingdoms of the idols, and whose graven images did excel them of Jerusalem and of Samaria:

Isa 10:11

Shall I not, as I have done unto Samaria and her idols, so do to Jerusalem and her idols?

Isa 10:12

Therefore it shall come to pass, that when the Lord has performed his whole work upon mount Zion and on Jerusalem, I will punish the fruit of the arrogant heart of the king of Assyria, and the glory of his high looks.

Also, the repentance of the Ninevites only held off their ultimate Judgment. :thumbsup:

The larger picture is that God had a purpose for them and had they excecuted it without malice things may have ended differently for them.

Yes, I understand, but Assyria was the vehicle God used to bring this judgement upon Samaria.

I am not understanding why their repentance would have kept them from being the instrument of judgment.

I believe that Assyria was raised up by God as an instrument of Judgment. However, they became proud and haughty about it and even exceeded their mandate by multiplying their cruelty;

Isa 10:5

I am not understanding why their repentance would have kept them from being the instrument of judgment.

I'm just wondering what's going on in Assyria to move from that kind of repentance, to brutality to do that kind of thing to the northern Kingdom of Israel and to Samaria. I guess it's going to be that same balance again between man using free will and God using man's sin to bring about His will.

I'm just wondering what's going on in Assyria to move from that kind of repentance, to brutality to do that kind of thing to the northern Kingdom of Israel and to Samaria. I guess it's going to be that same balance again between man using free will and God using man's sin to bring about His will.

OK.

Well, the question here is what kind of repentance took place.

Ninevah cried out to God for mercy with prayer and fasting.

But there is no indication they made any changes in their religion or behavior.

Now I know that goes against our senses of repentance, but how would they have known the ways of the Lord?

That's the only thing I can figure.

OK.

Well, the question here is what kind of repentance took place.

Ninevah cried out to God for mercy with prayer and fasting.

But there is no indication they made any changes in their religion or behavior.

Now I know that goes against our senses of repentance, but how would they have known the ways of the Lord?

That's the only thing I can figure.

Hmm interesting. But why would God relent from the calamity He had for them, because of false piety?

Hmm interesting. But why would God relent from the calamity He had for them, because of false piety?

I would be hesitant to call it "false piety" - I mean, going without food and water for 3 days and crying out to God the whole time is more than most likely any of us have done.

If someone comes up with a better insight, though, I'm all ears.