• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  106
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/20/1990

I've recently learned (very recently) that in order to successfully lead a life pleasing to God is to bring Glory to him in everything we do. I've read 1 Corinthians 10:31 loads of times but never really understood it until earlier today.

Which brings me to my main question.

I am a huge Doctor Who fan, I've got posters, registered on a fansite forum, got about 10 doctor who dvds, never miss an episode when its on. But I'm wondering, by watching doctor who I dont think I'm glorifying God in anyway so does that mean I should stop watching it and get rid of my dvds, posters, etc.

thanks.

I haven't seen any Doctor Who episodes, but I have seen enough science fiction films and television to know that many times the subjects touch on what it really means to be human, the nature of our world, the universe, it goes into areas of philosophy and theology, and I don't ever think that those are bad subjects to consider. It is one of the few genres I believe that really allows us to contemplate our existence in so many ways. While to content of the show may not be specifically God honoring, I think what matters more is what you do with it, just like eating or drinking.

Ultimately though this is a question that only you and God can come up with an answer to.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

There's a lot to debate about what it means to be "in the world but not of the world".

Being a sci-fi fan (at any level) can bring you into contact with non-Christians you might otherwise not be associated with; if you are the evangelistic type, it's an open door.

Otherwise, questions to consider:

Is fan-dom crossing over into idolatry? (Not saying you are, but take it to the Lord)

Are you gaining or losing from the experience? Example, the Holy Spirit has taught me lessons through some Sci-fi presentations. Weird, huh? So basically, is your spirit/spiritual life being benefited by watching the show and being a fan, or is it being hindered and distracted?

Is it helping or hurting your witness? Is it becoming a stumbling block to another brother/sister in Christ?

Finally, ask the Lord to show you, and anticipate being answered.

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  9
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I watch Dr. Who been suckered into it. My husband the original fan, got my 10 year old addicted to it, so now the .......show is on in our house every single day! Well at least Dr. who isn't such a "friends with the world" sort of tv show! Worry the most when your a fan of Wendy Williams talk show ------------ somedays I worry about my soul over that...............what the heck that I would ever watch wendy william's show and enjoy that stuffs????????????? You'd be better off without the Dr. Who god is a jealous god, the more time we give Him the happier He for sure is!

These days I'm actually liking the christian shows some them more.........last night I watched the 700 club, it was 500 billion times better then regular tv news, so upbeat.........somedays I'll watch regular news and be entirelly bogged down! I don't think I like really want to hear about the bad going on somedays............somedays I very much just want to hear about people seeing angels and etc. etc. of good stuffs : )

Do you have one those Dalek cat attacking robots, they look so cool? Hope that helped somehow??????????????

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  2

I'm a big Doctor Who fan too.

Back about 30 years ago, I was a big fan of the show Magnum, PI - mainly because I had a huge crush on the character of Higgins, played by John Hillerman. It got to the point that my life revolved around getting to watch the show each week - and one day, I felt impressed that the LORD wanted me to stop watching the show; it had become an idol to me. And so I stopped watching. I still lived at home, so when the show came on, my parents would watch it - and I would stay in my bedroom so I wouldn't even hear it.

That was my experience. Now, what should YOU do? Pray and seek the Lord about it, whether He wants you to give it up - and then obey what you know He is telling you.

I am a huge Doctor Who fan, I've got posters, registered on a fansite forum, got about 10 doctor who dvds, never miss an episode when its on. But I'm wondering, by watching doctor who I don't think I'm glorifying God in anyway so does that mean I should stop watching it and get rid of my dvds, posters, etc.

Keep The Scarf

Gore Predicts Heat So Expect Snow :24: :24: :24:

A man's heart deviseth his way: but the LORD directeth his steps. Proverbs 16:9

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  806
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  10/21/1973

I've especially enjoyed animated TV shows over the years, and was blessed by having the chance to work on an obscure one (Poochini). Thankfully, it didn't have sunject matter that conflicted w/my faith (unlike a potential job that turned up some months back, which I passed on).

If you can minister to fellow fans, it seems like a good thing (as mentioned by others). 'Course, certain shows are just plain wrong for Christians. But some out there have a lot of quality (including some animated ones).

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  732
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  04/30/1971

I am a huge Doctor Who fan, I've got posters, registered on a fansite forum, got about 10 doctor who dvds, never miss an episode when its on. But I'm wondering, by watching doctor who I don't think I'm glorifying God in anyway so does that mean I should stop watching it and get rid of my dvds, posters, etc.

Keep The Scarf

Gore Predicts Heat So Expect Snow :24: :24: :24:

A man's heart deviseth his way: but the LORD directeth his steps. Proverbs 16:9

:24:

I do have to wonder just how many current Dr. Who fans got that reference! :laugh: Tom Baker was awesome! That's the Dr. I started watching a L-O-N-G time ago. I like the newer ones too, though they do seem to have lost something since they now have a budget to actually have props that aren't homemade. :21:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

So who is the best "new" one?

I've seen the first new one and the second. But I've heard there's a third?

If you are feeling convicted or uneasy when you watch the show, then you might not want to watch it. Otherwise - as Joe said. :thumbsup: