• Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Vet Gets Eviction Notice over Patriotic Displays

By Lorie Johnson

CBN News Medical Reporter

Thursday, July 07, 2011

A Vietnam War veteran is fighting for his right to display his U.S. flag after property managers at his complex said he's violating apartment standards.

David Bone served in Vietnam in the 1960s. He said he displayed miniature American flags outside of his apartment during the Memorial Day and the Fourth of July holidays.

<snip>

Bone said that his property managers refused to let him display the flags in his bedroom window or in front of his car.

He said he was told such action didn't meet the apartment complex's standards.

The controversy doesn't end there. Property managers also told Bone that he couldn't put up a patriotic welcome sign on his door or even a sticker on his car.

Full report

:huh: Can't display an American flag inside one's own apartment nor a sticker [seen in the video] on one's own car?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

i'd sue.

I'd not only sue, I would have a flag waving party outside of his apartment. (Freedom of Speech)

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  378
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/18/1965

I wonder if the apartment policy was something broad like 'nothing can be put on windows and doors.' I'm not sure how they could justify things like car stickers though.

While I think the apartment managers are silly, if we sign something we should still abide by it. Doesn't mean we can't fight it in courts, but still abide by what we've signed.

Guest LadyC

I wonder if the apartment policy was something broad like 'nothing can be put on windows and doors.' I'm not sure how they could justify things like car stickers though.

While I think the apartment managers are silly, if we sign something we should still abide by it. Doesn't mean we can't fight it in courts, but still abide by what we've signed.

i looked up some other news reports about it. the lease specified signs, not flags, and legally (according to an attorney interviewed in one report) that can not extend to flags unless it is specified in the lease, which it was not. also, in that report, the apartment manager was interviewed and said that the apartments DO allow flags at holidays, as long as they are not there for an extended period of time. according to the manager, the eviction notice was about something totally unrelated and was issued prior to the guy ever putting displays out.

now, i can not, for a second, believe that it would be legal to tell someone how they can or cannot decorate the inside of their apartment in front of windows. or what stickers are allowed on cars. or what welcome signs can be displayed on doors. if those were an issue, then the apartment complex would be easily found to be targeting the guy, all you'd have to do is walk around with a complex and take pictures of every car sporting a bumper sticker of any kind, of any welcome mat, and of any window where ANYthing at all was visible.

if the guy is telling the truth, then i hope someone sues that complex for every penny. but after reading the words of the apt. manager in the other report, i have to wonder if the guy is just seeking out 15 minutes of fame and causing a ruckus to distract from some legitimate reason that he's been served with eviction.