IGNORED

Have the gifts of the Holy Spirit ceased?

Nebuchadnezza10

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  340
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

Guys, I just want to intrude here long enough to tell you how much I appreciate you carrying on a debate for this long and staying perfectly sane, polite, and civil to one another. This is how it should be done! I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread. I hope to see more of it. :D

Well done guys. :il: :hug:

Now you have ruined my reputation. How am I going to intimidate those posters who come on here with the fear of "The Scudbuddy" if you are going to say such nice things. :D

I will accept your apology if you will say "Neb was the nice guy, and Scudbuddy is just having a bad day." :D

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neb says,

"Why did Peter and John have to travel so far to lay hands on them if the laying on of hands was not nessesary?

Let me know what ya think."

Scudbuddy replies,

I have to go to work, so I can only give the simple answer to this question.

Frequent flyer miles.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

Guys, I just want to intrude here long enough to tell you how much I appreciate you carrying on a debate for this long and staying perfectly sane, polite, and civil to one another. This is how it should be done! I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread. I hope to see more of it.  :D

Well done guys.  :il:  :hug:

Now you have ruined my reputation. How am I going to intimidate those posters who come on here with the fear of "The Scudbuddy" if you are going to say such nice things. :D

I will accept your apology if you will say "Neb was the nice guy, and Scudbuddy is just having a bad day." :D

To Whom It May Concern:

Please note that during the discourse of this thread that Nebuchadnezza10 is being quite the gentleman, the scholar, the humble debator displaying characteristics of grace and suave demeanor. His opposition is Scud.

(there - that better? :D )

Frequent flyer miles

:D:D:D

Guys, I just want to intrude here long enough to tell you how much I appreciate you carrying on a debate for this long and staying perfectly sane, polite, and civil to one another. This is how it should be done! I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread. I hope to see more of it.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  143
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Frequent flyer miles.

Scudbuddy, you

Edited by Nebuchadnezza10

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  80
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,595
  • Content Per Day:  0.22

Travellers shake!

Yes oh dreaded Scudbuddy, I will shake!

Oh wait, that doesn't say AnotherTraveler, never mind. :cool:

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

Thanx traveller,

I think the reason that this has stayed so civil is because people know that this is not a personal thing. We are just trying to find an answer to a question.

Right people?

..er right?! (looks sheepish)

Anyway. Probably the best place to continue is where we left off.

I know you have seen these vs many times before, but I would like you to answer the question below each vs.

Acts 8:18

When Simon saw that the Spirit was given at the laying on of the apostles' hands, he offered them money

Was the Gifts of the HS given by the laying on of the apostles hands?

Well in this instance the Holy Ghost fell upon the people as the Apostles hands were placed on them...and presumably Simon the ex-Sorcerer was fascinated because he saw the demonstration that they had been filled/baptized with the Spirit because they were speaking in tongues/languages and prophesying.

It is interesting to note that they had already believed in Jesus...and were baptised into Him...therefore the Spirit was given in some measure...but they had not been baptised in the Spirit.

You bring up a good example and a good point...why couldn't the Holy Ghost just have fallen on these people through the ministry and preaching of Philip...and does it then follow this is the New Covenant pattern for baptism in the Holy Ghost...at least I guess this is what you are wanting us to think about.

Later when Philip the Evangelist preaches to the Eunuch...there is no indication that the Spirit has fallen on Him...but He sees Philip whisked away by the Spirit and is filled with joy...interesting!

2 Timothy 1

6For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. 7For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.

How did Timothy receive the gift from God?

In this instance through the laying on of the Apostle Paul's hands.

Act 8

14When the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had accepted the word of God, they sent Peter and John to them. 15When they arrived, they prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit, 16because the Holy Spirit had not yet come upon any of them; they had simply been baptized into[3] the name of the Lord Jesus. 17Then Peter and John placed their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.

Why did Peter and John have to travel so far to lay hands on them if the laying on of hands was not nessesary?

Let me know what ya think.

As far as I understand it the Apostles were called upon by G-d to minister and witness the outpouring of the Holy Ghost in various areas and with different groups of people...I presume this is to establish the Apostles authority and leadership...and to demonstrate the power and impartiality of G-d...between Gentiles,Samaritans and Jews.

We know there is no hard and fast rule about receiving the Holy Ghost because of what happened at Pentecost...(Which has happened since throughout the world)

and the example of what happened at the house of Cornelius...which is very contrastable with what you mention of Simon the ex-Sorcerer seeing ...ie the evidence of the out pouring of the Holy Ghost.

Acts 10:44  While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

Act 10:45  And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Act 10:46  For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,

Act 10:47  Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?

Act 10:48  And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

I don't think you can get away with saying this was a one off unique experience the Gentile equivalent of what happened at Pentecost...and there was no rushing wind sounds or tongues of fire.

This is what I feel about your questions no doubt others will have differing views. :cool:

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  143
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Acts 8:18When Simon saw that the Spirit was given at the laying on of the apostles' hands, he offered them moneyWas the Gifts of the HS given by the laying on of the apostles hands?

Well in this instance the Holy Ghost fell upon the people as the Apostles hands were placed on them...

It doesn

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

Acts 8:18When Simon saw that the Spirit was given at the laying on of the apostles' hands, he offered them moneyWas the Gifts of the HS given by the laying on of the apostles hands?

Well in this instance the Holy Ghost fell upon the people as the Apostles hands were placed on them...

It doesn

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  224
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  08/24/1952

No one can dispute the presence of spiritual Gifts in the church today.

Salvation is a Gift I most certainly hope has not disappeared.

As for 'miracles'... Disciples of Christ say miracles ceased with the death of the last disciple/apostle in the New Testament. If this were so... one should wonder

about the role of God in their performance. Also, no one should think Christian re-birth in Christ is anything but a MIRACLE. If its not a miracle in your life, its a miracle you can sustain a straight face when telling the lie that you have been born again. Philosophy isn't reality. Some merely live a standard of conduct without having ever contacted the LIFE of Christ and the POWER He gives to enable His children to live an Abundant Life. Rebirth means: Old things have passed away and ALL things are become NEW. New. New Creatures in Christ. Old nature NO MORE. NEW NATURE evermore. New creatures. New people. New LIFE. New desires, hopes, dreams, motives, responses, appetites and interests. New.

god bless you!