• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

OK, I have a little project here, and I'm a bit stumped on where to start. Thought I'd ask for some perspectives and see if I can find something to go with.

What does it mean, what does it look like, how is it applied, to love God with your mind?

I'm interested in Scripture that addresses this.

Now I don't mean the ones that tell us to love God with our minds, I mean ones that explain or demonstrate how it is lived out, how one expresses this, what it really mean on the practical level.

Any ideas?

Now I don't mean the ones that tell us to love God with our minds, I mean ones that explain or demonstrate how it is lived out, how one expresses this, what it really mean on the practical level.

Well Dear Sister As Often Happens I Start To Answer One Way But The Word Turns Me To Another Path

So Here Is Where Your Question Lead Me

________

______

___

Only Because Of Jesus

If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed. John 8:36

Can One Have The Freedom To Love Him

And to love him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love his neighbour as himself, is more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices. Mark 12:33

And He Enables The Reborn Mind To Love Him

Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ; 2 Corinthians 10:5

And So Because Of Jesus, The Believer Is Empowered To Love

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. Philippians 4:8

To Love Even Those Who Might Hate Jesus

I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;

For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.

For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;

Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. 1 Timothy 2:1-4

I Think

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  10

The Psalms tell us so much, they are a window into how David and others saw how God treated those who kept His ways. Ps. 81 tells us that because the people will not listen to His voice He would give them over to them stubborn hearts. God is pretty good at saying 'if you will, I will', 'if you don't I will' kinda things. Romans 13:13 shows what not to do, Eph. 4:17 tells us not to live like pagans, all of Eph 4 and 5 are good reads. You can look at the verse that show how Yeshua gave us a perfect example to live also. That help any?

shalom,

Mizz

Perhaps.

I'm thinking of how one man asked Jesus about what it means to love his neighbor (not exactly worded that way, but the same idea), and Jesus responded by giving the parable of the Good Samaritan.

Is there something similar for loving God with the mind?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,318
  • Content Per Day:  7.99
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

OK, I have a little project here, and I'm a bit stumped on where to start. Thought I'd ask for some perspectives and see if I can find something to go with.

What does it mean, what does it look like, how is it applied, to love God with your mind?

Any ideas?

One of the strongest I can think of is Abraham... Everything was centered on that boy of His beloved Sarah yet God has asked for him to be sacrificed. Abraham knew God had promised through this son's seed a great nation would be formed. Here is where he loved with all his mind-> Abraham raised the knife to kill the boy relying with all his mind upon God and the promise made to him. He did not allow his mind on anything other than God's promise and that God never fails in his promise this enabled him to obey God fully with his mind... with all the mind also all heart and all strength comes unity in being unto God. It is the safest storage of all eternity that of The Father for in His hand nothing can be taken out! Love Steven

Guest shiloh357

Perhaps.

I'm thinking of how one man asked Jesus about what it means to love his neighbor (not exactly worded that way, but the same idea), and Jesus responded by giving the parable of the Good Samaritan.

Is there something similar for loving God with the mind?

the first place this is mentioned is of course, Deut. 6:5. It is further illuminated for us here:

And the scribe said to him, "You are right, Teacher. You have truly said that he is one, and there is no other besides him. And to love him with all the heart and with all the understanding and with all the strength, and to love one's neighbor as oneself, is much more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices." And when Jesus saw that he answered wisely, he said to him, "You are not far from the kingdom of God." And after that no one dared to ask him any more questions.

(Mar 12:32-34)

Jesus affirmed the scribe in that. But I think it is helpful to understand that in Hebrew the mind and the soul are the same thing. Your mind is the seat of your will, thoughts, and emotions. In Hebrew the word for soul, "nephesh" It refers to "soul, self, life, creature, person, appetite, mind, living being, desire, emotion, passion" (Brown Driver and Briggs)

It would also seem that loving God with your soul/mind cannot be done separate from loving God with the heart and with one's strength. It is impossible to separate the three. The Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament cites McBride:

"J. McBride noted: "The three parts of Deut. 6:5: lēbāb (heart), nephesh (soul or life), and meʾōd (muchness) rather than signifying different spheres of biblical psychology seem to be semantically concentric. They were chosen to reinforce the absolute singularity of personal devotion to God. Thus, lēbāb denotes the intention or will of the whole man; nepesh means the whole self, a unity of flesh, will and vitality; and meʾōd accents the superlative degree of total commitment to Yahweh." While agreeing that these terms were chosen to denote the singularity of devotion, we would now underscore nepesh as pertaining to the personal desire or inclination." ~Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

First one has to renew one's mind:

Rom 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Then you have to use your renewed mind with humility:

Act 20:19 Serving the Lord with all humility of mind, and with many tears, and temptations, which befell me by the lying in wait of the Jews:

Then you have to use your renewed, humble mind to fight sin:

Rom 7:23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

We are to use our renewed, humble mind to fight sin and love others:

Rom 12:16 Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits.

And by being humble, fighting sin and loving we can use our mind to, glorify God:

Rom 15:6 That ye may with one mind and one mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,318
  • Content Per Day:  7.99
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

First one has to renew one's mind:

Rom 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Then you have to use your renewed mind with humility:

Act 20:19 Serving the Lord with all humility of mind, and with many tears, and temptations, which befell me by the lying in wait of the Jews:

Then you have to use your renewed, humble mind to fight sin:

Rom 7:23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

We are to use our renewed, humble mind to fight sin and love others:

Rom 12:16 Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits.

And by being humble, fighting sin and loving we can use our mind to, glorify God:

Rom 15:6 That ye may with one mind and one mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Score!!!!

lgthumbsup.jpg

Thanks for the responses all - there is much to chew on here.

But Shiloh - I'm still trying to wrap my mind around what you wrote. Would you be able to expound more on those three Hebrew words? I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Guest shiloh357

Thanks for the responses all - there is much to chew on here.

But Shiloh - I'm still trying to wrap my mind around what you wrote. Would you be able to expound more on those three Hebrew words? I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Well think of the three words in terms of three concentric rings. At the center is the heart (levav). The next outter ring is mind/soul (nephesh) and the final outer ring as strength (meod) God always works from the inside out and that is the picture in Deut. 6:5. Loving God with your entire being, heart, mind and strength.

Levav (heart) and nephesh (soul/mind) are two words that are often used interchangably. The phrase, "setting my heart to..." refers to mental resolve to achieve a goal. Both levav and nephesh tend to be used in terms of being the seat of one's emotions, desires, passions, appetites wisdom and understanding, but nephesh is also used to reflect one's personality or intellect. Nephesh is often used to refer to the entire person, which includes the heart, where as levav is slightly more limited. The point is that you really have to pay attention to context becasue levav and nephesh are used many, different ways and there is no single definition that fully explains either word. To love God with all of your heart and mind means to be love Him without reservation. We do not withhold any part of being from him, and includes our mind and intellect.

The word meod refers to strength. It is used first in Genesis when God saw creation on day six and said it was very (meod) good (tov). The tone is emphatic. It is a word that speaks of great energy. We are too love God unreservedly with all of our energy and resources.

Hope that helps, let me know if you need more info.