churchmouse2

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  22
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

God's Word discusses repsecting "persons" or showing partiality. It says that we should not do this: Lev 19:5, Prov 28:21, Prov 24:23, Job 13:10, Mal 2:9, 1 Tim 5:21, and Jas 2:4. Jesus was an example of this in all of His relating; with the Jewish-despised Samaitan woman at the well, with the Pharisees, with the wealthy "righteaous" man, unwilling to abandon his wealth, and in His parable of the Good Samaritan (the failures being represented by the behavior of a priest and lawyer (scribe) and the success and behavior we are to exemplify, tha of a lowly Samaritan.) Our position being saved by the blood of Jesus or not and if so there are a few POSITIONS given more respect due to their responsibility and accountability to God. How well do you think Christians today are or are not separating the person from the position in their rendering respect? In other words, do you think there is any favoritism in the body of Christ and if so what can we do to Quench it? :huh:

Edited by churchmouse2

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  48
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  10/19/1954

..We can overcome respecting the one who is rich or beautiful or smart or desired over others by preferring each person that we meet in life as being more important that ourselves. For example: a man's home is his castle... But after the Lord, it is our family members who are our first priority to serve, just as Jesus served the Church by giving his life for it. The wife isn't supposed to bring the slippers and supper after the day's work, but rather each should serve the other as the need arises. Also, while I am at it, it is not the husband's right or duty to discipline his wife, even though the scripture tells the wife to obey her husband, as that is for the Lord to convict according to his own will in due season, just as he does in each one us who belong to him. Then we can add serving others to the serving of our own families.

..To stop the respecting of one person above another in a congregation will require revival and "Revival spreads from one who is on fire for the Lord!" Just as a forest fire can begin with one match, so too revival, which can begin with one person who commits to filling their mind with the Lord's word and then walking in moral obedience to that word. Btw... In Rom12:2: "And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God," and in Eph5:26 "That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word," and especially in Phil2:13 "For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure," we see that the desire and the ability to obey the word of God is also contained within the scripture itself by the ministry of the Holy Spirit who loves us like he does Jesus and uses the passages that we put into our minds to transform us into Jesus' moral image, "here a little, and there a little." This is also seen in 2Pet1:3,4 too "According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue: Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust." Then in 1Jn3:20-23, "For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things. Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God. And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight," we see the importance of moral obedience and the clear conscience that is its result. For one might say that a clear conscience empowers full power faith. Then add to your growing moral excellence the prayer of faith regarding this issue because Jam5:16b "the effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." To obtain your answer, make your prayer request a prayer project like the parable of the widow and the unjust magistrate; wear the Lord down by your continual coming before him regarding the object of your request. The more heart-felt your prayer, the more favorably it will be received by the Lord, since the Lord wants us to want his blessings fervently.

..Now as far as respecting another or showing honor to another; we are to show respect to whom respect is due and honor to whom honor is due, both within and without the Church. This is based upon that person's position or on their own accomplishments and this attitude actually belongs to those who do regard others as being more important than themselves.

Edited by glf

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  178
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

God's Word discusses repsecting "persons" or showing partiality. It says that we should not do this: Lev 19:5, Prov 28:21, Prov 24:23, Job 13:10, Mal 2:9, 1 Tim 5:21, and Jas 2:4. Jesus was an example of this in all of His relating; with the Jewish-despised Samaitan woman at the well, with the Pharisees, with the wealthy "righteaous" man, unwilling to abandon his wealth, and in His parable of the Good Samaritan (the failures being represented by the behavior of a priest and lawyer (scribe) and the success and behavior we are to exemplify, tha of a lowly Samaritan.) Our position being saved by the blood of Jesus or not and if so there are a few POSITIONS given more respect due to their responsibility and accountability to God. How well do you think Christians today are or are not separating the person from the position in their rendering respect? In other words, do you think there is any favoritism in the body of Christ and if so what can we do to Quench it? :huh:

Did Christ show favoritism amongst His own disciples?

IHS

JB

GLF, Thank you for your thoughts. You spent a good amount of time discussing how a woman should be treated. Interesting. After I became a new creation in Christ (1975) a new radio talk show came out in 1978 which I benefited from for decades. It was this up and coming pshyc (child and general, I believe) who gave me a lot of the knowledge I needed to be a good husband and eventually father. I had very, very little in me. I had the heart form God but the how is just generally and sporadically given, esp directly laying out the practical application thereof, in the Bible. Most people have this knowledge and take it for granted and are ignorant of such a need some. Dr. James Dobson on "Focus on the Family" as you probably guessed was the show. Eventually, I was listening to Dr. Charles Stanley in "In Touch", "The Art of Family Living" with John Nader, Dr. Chuck Swindoll on "Insight for Living", "The Minereth-Meyer Clinic" hour with Dr.s Minereth and Meyer, and many others with excellent expounders of God's Word with people like (Dr. Tony Evans, Robi Zacheriah, Dr. Stoll of Moody (now Cornerstone Univ), Chuck Colson, Dr. Vernon McGeee, Dr. David Jeremiah, and few others. I drove truck all day long (10-16 hr days) and had a lot of time and opportunity to listen. To these men I owe credit for much of my Biblical knowledge. Every Sunday before I went to Sunday school and sat under my pastor for a half hour sermon I had already enjoyed hours and hours of Christian sermons and teachings that week.

If you brought this subject up for personal reasons please allow me to share from what I have learned Ephes 5:25 which says that the husband should give of himself for his wife even as Christ gave of himself (sacrificially unto death) for us and in vs. 21 of same as Paul leads immediately into one of the very few husband/wife relationship instruction sections, we are told to "submit to one another" , no exceptions, as Christians. Ephes 5: 22-end, Col: 3: 18-21, 1 Pt 3: 1-7, and 1 Tim 2: 9-15, and 1 Cor 7: 1-16 discuss husband/wife relationships in the NT and 1 Pt 3:7 implies that if a husband fails to respect his wife his prayers won't be answered.The demands are clearly greater for the husband, but if he complies, the wife will feel agope' loved, safe, and respected and freely submit in her role as helpmeet. I could only figure that you or a friend or relative must be struggling with these issues hence the reason for your taking a tangent into this subject. I hope I was of some help.

Again, thank you for your input.

Edited by churchmouse2

Sent Today, 10:05 AM (From Chtrls)

Greetings Churchmouse.

Your questions are very good and important for Christians to consider. I'll try to answer them with scripture and early Christian writings.

1) How do we double check our views with scripture when different teachers are telling us contradictory things about the same passage?

Here's what scripture says:

Matthew 18

17If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, treat him as you would a pagan or a tax collector.

Note that the ultimate authority here is the Church. Where did the Church get this authority? From Jesus!

Matt 16

18And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. 19I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."

2) You said that someone sent by Christ doesn't necessarily speak for Christ. I don't think that this is consistent with scripture.

Luke 10

16"He who listens to you listens to me; he who rejects you rejects me; but he who rejects me rejects him who sent me."

You must have faith in the promises of Jesus and trust his Church to protect the Truth.

John 20

21Again Jesus said, "Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you." 22And with that he breathed on them and said, "Receive the Holy Spirit. 23If you forgive anyone his sins, they are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven."

1 John 4

6 We are from God, and whoever knows God listens to us; but whoever is not from God does not listen to us. This is how we recognize the Spirit[a] of truth and the spirit of falsehood.

1 Timothy 3

15if I am delayed, you will know how people ought to conduct themselves in God's household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.

How can we follow the message of Jesus if we don't know what the message is?

Jesus gave us a Church to lead us so we don't need to worry about the message. The Church is protecting it!!

3) Who is sent by Christ? We are all sent by Christ, but we don't all have the same role. If we contradict those who are to be our teachers we are not following Jesus.

Notice here that Jesus contrasts the role of the Church leaders with those who will follow:

John 17

15 My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one. 16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of it. 17 Sanctify them by[d] the truth; your word is truth. 18 As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world. 19 For them I sanctify myself, that they too may be truly sanctified.

20 “My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21 that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you.

Do you remember what the Christians at Antioch did in Acts 15 when they had a disagreement about circumcision? Did they just pray and study scripture, or did they consult the Church?

Jesus loves us and wants us to be in full communion with his body, whcih is the Church. We cannot be in full communion with his body if we are fighting against his Church.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent Today, 12:04 PM (From cm2)

Chtrls, I never asked anything even similar to the first question which you said I asked. Is this a characteristic flaw of your type of "reasoning"? This is the very type of dialogue people who attacked Jesus and Christians today would do in order to try to steer the conversation. Your first answer is probably something you dragged in from another thread you probably have on file and on your propagation list. I refuse to acknowledge such a disrespectful response; having putting words in my mouth. If you want to start a new topic, please start your own thread on that topic. You are distracting this one.

The response to your number 2 fails to establish the fact that everything someone says whom Christ has sent is from God. That is what I was saying was the problem with the qualifier "necessarily." People love to tell half-truths and telling the truth most of the time in order to make their lies more believable. God tells us in His Word that there is no human walking the face of this earth or ever was or will be who is, was, will be perfect; that is anywhere on earth. Jesus, God the Son, son of man, was the only One. God tells us how wicked and deceitful the human heart is in His Word which tells everyone that you MUST double-check everything that you hear from anyone or anywhere with God's Word. He also says that our most righteous deeds are as filthy rags in His sight (Isa 64:6.) Remarkably, in your response here you have proven my point. When I read 1 Tim 3:15 which starts in the middle of a sentence I started at the beginning to get the meaning and context, vs 14. Guess what? Paul is telling Timothy to read his instructions in this letter (God's Word to us) so that he would know... not to go to any church or human and ask.

On your point 3, you say, " If we contradict those who are to be our teachers we are not following Jesus." Well God tells us Christians to be shrewd and discerning and warns us that esp in these days there will be false teachers. But there have always been false teachers and pastors in the church. One Big example many people know of is when the church leadership, widely accepted as God's alleged representative, told the emporer to combat the invading Islamic Moors on the shoreline with boat loads of innocent little children holding men's swords. These church leaders said that God would grant them victory. The blood-soaked sands of the slaughter which followed clearly convinced the world of the fallacy of church leadership. God didn't direct that slaughter and if people had read His Word and not listened to humans they would have known that God would have never directed such an atrocity. Sinful men in high positions of the church did. Pastors and teachers I sit under in church welcome contradiction as it affords them an opportunity to go to God's Word for substantiation and clear up misunderstandings. I don't know where you go to church but I would look somewhere else. That sounds scary. If they come to you with some Kool-Aid to drink, run! Church leaders and teachers (any leaders or teachers) should welcome a contradictory dialogue. I certainly would be suspicious of the credibility of any who didn't. The should be ready with God's Word or willing to come back at a later time with it to support anything which they say or so. Humility is essential. Ask Jesus.

There is so much evil which has permeated the ranks of Christian leadership. Self-professing gays are welcome as pastors in the pulpit, little boys and girls are being sexually assaulted, and so much more. We need to clean house or the Light will die and the salt become bitter.

Chtrls, my time is very short hence the lack of scriptural addresses. As you so freely quoted God's Word I assumed that you knew of which verses I was referring, BUT if there is anything which I have said that you wish scriptural references I will find and give them. I know about where they all are and with my chain-ref and concordance can and will find them with pleasure. It will take a few days as I am VERY busy right now.. IHS, Chuchmouse2