• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Washington Post Opinion Piece

I'm wondering how a thread on OWS and ACORN being behind it got involved in taxation policy?:noidea:

Can anyone say, "Misdirection?":)

I am suggesting (you don't have to agree) that the taxation policies being proposed by candidates (Herman Cain) and members (Paul Ryan, Eric Cantor) of the GOP present an attitude that is hostile to the middle and lower classes. Campaign money coming from corporations and wealthy individuals appears to have fueled proposed taxation policies that will skew the playing field even more. But it is already pretty bad, because labor is taxed much more heavily (25 or 35%) than investment (15%). That just isn't fair.

But once again, you don't have to agree. Just pointing to something that people might protest about, because it is a true inequity.

What does that have to do with ACORN's involvement with OWS?:noidea:

I provided a link above, to an opinion piece that I have just read -- it came in my email.

It is entitled: "The study that shows why Occupy Wall Street struck a nerve"

Quoting from it:

The hard-right conservatives who dominate the Republican Party claim to despise the redistribution of wealth, but secretly they love it — as long as the process involves depriving the poor and middle class to benefit the rich, not the other way around.

That is precisely what has been happening, as a jaw-dropping new report by the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office demonstrates. Three decades of trickle-down economic theory, see-no-evil deregulation and tax-cutting fervor have led to massive redistribution...

So I am not the only one who feels that past tax policies, and current proposed tax policies are fueling the fire.

What does that have to do with ACORN's involvement and organiation of OWS? :noidea:

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  139
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

American Legislative Exchange Council

Washington Post Opinion Piece

I'm wondering how a thread on OWS and ACORN being behind it got involved in taxation policy?:noidea:

Can anyone say, "Misdirection?":)

I am suggesting (you don't have to agree) that the taxation policies being proposed by candidates (Herman Cain) and members (Paul Ryan, Eric Cantor) of the GOP present an attitude that is hostile to the middle and lower classes. Campaign money coming from corporations and wealthy individuals appears to have fueled proposed taxation policies that will skew the playing field even more. But it is already pretty bad, because labor is taxed much more heavily (25 or 35%) than investment (15%). That just isn't fair.

But once again, you don't have to agree. Just pointing to something that people might protest about, because it is a true inequity.

What does that have to do with ACORN's involvement with OWS?:noidea:

I provided a link above, to an opinion piece that I have just read -- it came in my email.

It is entitled: "The study that shows why Occupy Wall Street struck a nerve"

Quoting from it:

The hard-right conservatives who dominate the Republican Party claim to despise the redistribution of wealth, but secretly they love it — as long as the process involves depriving the poor and middle class to benefit the rich, not the other way around.

That is precisely what has been happening, as a jaw-dropping new report by the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office demonstrates. Three decades of trickle-down economic theory, see-no-evil deregulation and tax-cutting fervor have led to massive redistribution...

So I am not the only one who feels that past tax policies, and current proposed tax policies are fueling the fire.

What does that have to do with ACORN's involvement and organiation of OWS? :noidea:

In E.J. Dionne's opinion it isn't ACORN - in his opinion (and I agree) it is people seeing the kinds of policies that are being developed in concert with moneyed interests. (The current and proposed tax codes are just one of several examples one could give.) Oh, and there is one more link I need to show you. The American Legislative Exchange Council (known as ALEC) is actually lawmakers and lobbyists writing laws to benefit campaign contributors. It's just a little too cozy for me. These lawmakers need to be put on notice that they are being watched. Voting for ALEC legislation needs to start being hazardous to their political careers.

Edited by Assured

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

The facts from the article state this;

Members of New York Communities for Change, in orange t-shirts with orange banner, attend a press conference in New York with union leaders, including United Federation of Teachers president Michael Mulgrew.

The former New York office for ACORN, the disbanded community activist group, is playing a key role in the self-proclaimed “leaderless” Occupy Wall Street movement, organizing “guerrilla” protest events and hiring door-to-door canvassers to collect money under the banner of various causes while spending it on protest-related activities, sources tell FoxNews.com.

The former director of New York ACORN, Jon Kest, and his top aides are now busy working at protest events for New York Communities for Change (NYCC). That organization was created in late 2009 when some ACORN offices disbanded and reorganized under new names after undercover video exposes prompted Congress to cut off federal funds.

I'm not interested in E.J. Dionnes misdirection or your own. Do you want to address the OP or not?:noidea:

In E.J. Dionne's opinion it isn't ACORN - in his opinion (and I agree) it is people seeing the kinds of policies that are being developed in concert with moneyed interests. (The current and proposed tax codes are just one of several examples one could give.) Oh, and there is one more link I need to show you. The American Legislative Exchange Council (known as ALEC) is actually lawmakers and lobbyists writing laws to benefit campaign contributors. It's just a little too cozy for me. These lawmakers need to be put on notice that they are being watched. Voting for ALEC legislation needs to start being hazardous to their political careers.

Opinion? A person's opinion versus clear evidence that it is, in fact, ACORN lackeys that are helping organize the OWS protests? Opinion doesn't mean much when you have the people in question themselves point-blank saying that they are behind it. Good grief, you have people gloating over it and fighting over being the ones who are behind it. So a person's 'opinion' counts for spit.

I guess you are never going to actually deal with the subject of the OP. It isn't "people seeing the kind of policies being developed in concert with moneyed interests." You have a group of liberal whacks with a very clear-cut agenda who went around purposely gathering people here and there and encouraging them to go protest. Only in the beginning, they didn't even know what they were protesting. Just like the 60's. The hippies in the 60's never knew what they were against. They couldn't agree about anything. They didn't know what they wanted to get rid of, beyond this nebulous "Establishment" and they certainly had no plan as to what they would replace it with. Same thing going on here. They don't like Capitalism. They don't like Jews. Great. They obviously don't want to work either. They are vilifying the very system that is feeding their unproductive mouths every day. If you can't see the irony and hypocrisy in that, then you are not looking hard enough.

ACORN no longer exists - haven't you all heard? They lost Congressional funding and folded. Where have you heard it was ACORN? Do you have a link to a hard news article, or is the piece you read this in an opinion piece like the one I linked? Because this ACORN stuff doesn't make sense to me.

Edited: OK, I read your OP, and I see that it is a group of FORMER ACORN staffers, who are donating their time (they don't WORK for ACORN because it doesn't exist) to a private endeavor. That's like you or me going to the public library and reading to the children. Why Fox News is worrying about this and calling it ACORN (as though they wish to prevent these former staffers from doing anything at all with their own time!) sounds like bullying. They need to leave these people alone and let them do what they want with their own time. It's none of their business. Little League, the Public Library, Church Bazaars, all of these endeavors are done by unpaid volunteers and are none of Fox News' business.

Edited by Assured

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

ACORN no longer exists - haven't you all heard?

ACORN re-organized and changed it's name.

Same people, same stationary, same building, . . . .

I don't see what the problem is. It's like someone poisoned someone, finds out they are still alive in the hospital, and says, "Darn it - they are still alive!" I don't think you realize how mean this sounds.

Why wouldn't ACORN be allowed to exist? Liberal community organizing isn't immoral or illegal.

But people are demonstrating here where I live, thousands of miles from New York on the other coast (I am in California). I doubt that the skeleton crew described by that Fox News article would have been responsible for it. People are deciding to do this on their own. Oh, and Candice mentioned that people are demonstrating in Australia (where she lives) and in fact all over the world. ACORN isn't responsible for that, either.

Edited by Assured

Guest shiloh357

I don't see what the problem is. It's like someone poisoned someone, finds out they are still alive in the hospital, and says, "Darn it - they are still alive!" I don't think you realize how mean this sounds.

Why wouldn't ACORN be allowed to exist? Liberal community organizing isn't immoral or illegal.

But people are demonstrating here where I live, thousands of miles from New York on the other coast (I am in California). I doubt that the skeleton crew described by that Fox News article would have been responsible for it. People are deciding to do this on their own. Oh, and Candice mentioned that people are demonstrating in Australia (where she lives) and in fact all over the world. ACORN isn't responsible for that, either.

The claim is not that they are responsible for it. The claim is that that they are working behnd the scenes, helping out and supporting it.

Why wouldn't ACORN be allowed to exist?? Really?? You have to ask?? Well unless you were living under a rock, there was the vote registering scandal. ACORN submitted fraudulent lists of "registered voters" and getting caught on camera givng tax advice to help a "pimp" and "prostitute" evade paying taxes. They were shut down when the gov't pulled their funding and rightfully so. So it is not surprising that these dregs are out on the streets with the other dregs and the lowest common denominators in our society cutting off their nose to spite their face.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

I think it was implicit that ACORN was involved in the OWS in America, not worldwide. But remember - the rest of the world copied from the States. ACORN might not be involved here, but the poison is spreading none the less.

But remember - the rest of the world copied from the States.

And the States copied from the Arab Spring.

And that's a whole other can of worms.

I am not understanding your train of thought at all.

Assured, ACORN was caught breaking the law.

I truly fail to understand how you went from being a Republican to being a blind worshiper of Obama and all he stands for (Obama and ACORN have a history together).

Thousands of people spontaneously have the desire and are able to sacrifice their time to camp-out in city squares all at the same time . . . is not a community organized event?

Assured, how much research have you done?