WorthyNewsBot

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  221
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

Hmm.... sounds like he is poking the bear with a stick.....

Edit:

Just noticed he made the claim that US is and has always been a Pacific Nation.

Since when? I know of no geography or history text book that makes that claim about the United States.

Geographically, we straddle between the Atlantic and the Pacific Oceans. We have the Gulf of Mexico waters to the South (Texas, Louisiana, Miss, Alabama, slightly Georgia, the Florida Panhandle/Florida for our boundary next to Mexico).

I do not think it is accurate to say we are geographically a Pacific Nation. A PART of our boundary is found abutting the Pacific Ocean on the WEST side of the country.

I am sure he is speaking of Hawaii, which is close to the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

Hawaii is but one state. ;)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

Hmm.... sounds like he is poking the bear with a stick.....

Edit:

Just noticed he made the claim that US is and has always been a Pacific Nation.

Since when? I know of no geography or history text book that makes that claim about the United States.

Geographically, we straddle between the Atlantic and the Pacific Oceans. We have the Gulf of Mexico waters to the South (Texas, Louisiana, Miss, Alabama, slightly Georgia, the Florida Panhandle/Florida for our boundary next to Mexico).

I do not think it is accurate to say we are geographically a Pacific Nation. A PART of our boundary is found abutting the Pacific Ocean on the WEST side of the country.

I am sure he is speaking of Hawaii, which is close to the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

Hawaii is but one state. ;)

So?!?!? :noidea:

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

I get what cajun means. It was very odd to hear Obama declare America to be a pacific nation.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

I get what cajun means. It was very odd to hear Obama declare America to be a pacific nation.

Yet, we are, be it all so little in comparison. You gotta admit that Obama is not known for speaking the full truth.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

The little "m" messiah is everything to everybody.:thumbsup:

America may be an ally of some of these Nations yet we are not one of them.:)

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  221
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

Thanks, candice and everybody who gets it.

A state does not equal a full nation.

Now, I'm done with this. What else to say? Not much.

Thanks, candice and everybody who gets it.

A state does not equal a full nation.

Now, I'm done with this. What else to say? Not much.

Oh Yes~!

(This article was originally published in the Oakland Tribune on January 22, 1988. Slightly different versions subsequently appeared in the Los Angeles Times on July 10, 1988; the Sacramento Bee on August 14, 1988; the San Jose Mercury News on September 20, 1988; the Los Angeles Herald Examiner on September 22, 1988; and the San Diego Tribune on October 17, 1988.)

For example, Pacific Rimmers, anxious to demonstrate the latest, ineluctable stage of the world's westward progression, are wont to emphasize that more U.S. two-way trade now crosses the Pacific than the Atlantic. But given the continued preponderance of imports over exports, that bit of news is nothing to applaud. The irritating fact that more U.S. exports are still shipped across the Atlantic typically goes unacknowledged. Why then do we remain so enthralled with the Pacific Rim? And why do we in California seem particularly susceptible to the Orient's lure?

Part of the blame can be attributed to a widespread misreading of U.S. government trade figures. As a recent study I co-authored for the state World Trade Commission pointed out, there are no export data which trace the movement of goods from the state in which they were produced to their final destination abroad. Federal officials do, however, publish statistics on exports leaving the U.S. through each of the nation's 42 customs districts, three of which encompass California. Regrettably, the crucial distinction between exports departing the U.S. via California's customs districts and exports by California firms is often blurred, with the former being incorrectly passed off as the latter.

Since geography and the logistics of transportation make California the nation's chief gateway to the Pacific, it is hardly surprising that most of the merchandise shipped through California's air and sea ports are bound for the Far East. The casual observer, though, is frequently left with the impression that the Far East is the only significant export market for California industry. For example, it's commonly reported that more than two-thirds of California's merchandise exports go to the Far East. In fact, the Far East is the destination of two-thirds of all U.S. exports shipped through California, not just goods that were manufactured or grown here in the Golden State. By contrast, the World Trade Commission study found that no more than 46% of shipments handled by California's exporters in 1986 crossed the Pacific. Europe, cavalierly dismissed by most Pacific Rimmers, absorbed over 31% of the state's exports, while Canada took nearly 9%.

It's An Old Old Issue

And Yet There Is Plenty To Think Upon :24: :24: :24:

Just Ask The Farmers In The San Joaquin Valley~!