IGNORED

Christian "Look"

Guest the_Panther

Guest the_Panther

Hello All,

I am new to this BB so I would like to start off by telling you a lil' about myself..I am a 37 yr. Male from Alabama..I am going to a "First Assembley of God" Church...Been going pretty regular now for about 7 months....Haven't been to a Church in years but, my son was going there & wife & I heard there choir & loved it so we desided to try it out & we have loved it..My Parents-Mom (Southern Baptist) & Dad ( Hasn't been to Church that I remember) My Wifes Parents Mom (Holliness) & Dad ( Hasn't been to a Church that Wife can remember) & even some of the nieces.Needless to say..We have enjoyed this Church. :P

As a Child I went to a Baptist Church every day & night it was open;Mind you, I was no Saint but did have Faith.I lost my Faith late one afternoon as My Sister,Our Friends & I were on our way to Church; My Sister & I were to teach a Childrens Bible Class for Vacation Bible School.As we were crossing the street My Sister was struck and killed by an Automobile.I was devistated(sp)! I was @ 13 she was @ 11.At the funeral hall I was told by several people(I know now that they meant well)that "It was God will"..My feelings were that if that is the way God does then I don't want any part of it.I totally went down hill from there.I "Backslid" big time!

Back in '91 I had an accident which broke my hip(I had @ 2000 lbs. fall on me at a cotton mill).Now mind you...I was spared by God & by the Grace of God I am up and walking(even after Doctors said I would not :o ...lil' do they know the Power of Our God :D )...But me & my Worldly & Headstrong ways I chalked it all up to myn willpower & good Doctors :o ...I know better now :D

In Sept. of '04 I had a Stroke & Anurisom(sp)-Total bleed out in my head...I was told that I was very lucky to be alive...but by the Grace of God I am :D ..I have gone through 4 head surgeries & even though I am on Dissability(got it the first time I tried--Thank God) I thank God I am here to testify of my life.This may be the wrong way to say this but,it's how I look at it....God got his point across this time :D . Anyways once I got home my whole outlook on life has changed..Many people see it by how I act & carry myself...so I am told :D .

Now on to my "Problem"... I have been trying to live a Christian life... Mind you...the new Church is a BIG differnce from the Baptist Church I was brought up in & I am not perfect but, I am truely trying my best to change my way of thinking & way of acting. Up until my Surgery in '04 I had long hair (they shaved me bald). I have 2 earrings in my left ear(2 studs...ones I made and am proud of)...I have tatoos which for the most part can be covered by a short sleeve shirt.None are vulgar or anything like that...they are my nickname & favorite song & ones to do with my wifes nickname....Anyways...last Sunday the Pastors sermon was on the short comeings of this World & the problems in it & how much worse it may get. He spoke about tatoos & earrings in men...saying things like earrings=girllyman :x: ...That offended me as I always thought that it was whats on the inside that counts!Is it that I'm being headstrong again & not listening to Gods message or was the Pastor just speaking his views...I'm unsure. I know I want to praise the Lord for all he has done for me(I want to go to Church)but, I don't want to be "looked down" at... What should I do ??????Thank you in addvance & I am sorry this was sooooooooooooooooo long.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  146
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

God receives you the way you are! That is all that matters. Man sometimes try to add to Gods word and it is not right. Does God not receive you because you have tatoos or earings? NOT AT ALL!

I must say the girly man phrase would bother me too. But we are taught to walk in forgiveness. I don't think I have ever met a pastor that I agree with 100%, actually I haven't met anyone whom I agree with 100%. :o But they are still my brothers and sisters in the Lord. Forgive him.

What is most important is that you are in a church that teaches the Word. Many pastors throw in their opinions and many of their opinions can be right, but not always. So study the fruit in this church. Are they producing good fruit? And make sure it is fruit and not good works. Study the fruit of the Spirit. Does he preach his opinion more then the word? If so then you may want to find a church thats focus is on the word.

And you are right, it is whats on the inside counts! When God looks at you, all He can see is His sons blood. Don't let any mans words disgourage you in your walk with the Lord. Keep pressing forward! The Lord has given you a powerful testimony and he desires you to share with many people.

Guest the_Panther

Thank you Naomi...that made me feel much better about myself I was begaining to question my faith again & if I was following Gods word...Thank you so very much..God Bless You Sister ! :t:

Edited by the_Panther

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  146

Not a problem. :hug:

Don't ever doubt your faith. Like I said before, it sounds to me that you have a very powerful testimony and that the Lord has a plan for you in his kingdom. Keep your eyes on Him. The enemy will try to get your focus on man. Once we do that, we for sure will want to quit.

Guest ScriptureAndPrayers

the Panther,

The subject of tatoos, earrings, and other bodily adornments has been vigorously debated more than once on one of the other bulletin boards of which I am a member. It surprised me, but there were more people in favor than against. Although the Bible does call on us to be modest in our appearance, I only know of one place in Leviticus that could be interpreted as speaking against tatoos. On the other hand, I don't think that we are supposed to adorn ourselves with a lot of jewelry, but you'd never know it by watching televangelists. To a large extent, I think it's a moot point for you, since you already have the tatoos. It's not like you should be expected to have them all removed!

You're right when you say that God accepts you as you are, but that being said, remember that having been accepted, you will now be experiencing sanctification through the Holy Spirit as you are being brought into conformity to the image of Christ. As that occurs, you can expect to see changes in yourself, particularly in your relationship with God, all changes for the better. God is making changes in you, and no man has the right to judge His workmanship. As your love for God grows your heart will develop a deeper desire to please God, but at the same time you're gonna find out how weak and helpless and inadequate you are for the job. Then, at some point you'll realize that only God is sufficient even for that task, and only He is capable of performing His good works, but that He wants to do them through you! That is our great privilege.

As far as the comments by your pastor go, I think they were inappropriate, but you may as well get used to it because that kind of thing goes on all the time. Even our leadership are works in progress. Hopefully the Lord is working on him as we speak. As for you, just forgive him. And pray for him. He's in a position with a lot of responsibilities and accountability, and typically one that gets little appreciation. For your church to be strong, he needs to be strong, and the congregation needs to constantly keep him lifted up in prayer. No one benefits when he stumbles.

God bless you and your family. Amen.

Guest the_Panther

Thank You So Very Much...I too belong to 2 other BBs...I have seen posts on tatoos there also even some which left me going Huh?!?!?!?...LOL...God has blessed me & my Family quiet a bit & I do my best to thank him each and every day...I know I have a long way to go but I am doing my very best.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL !! :t:

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  274
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  01/05/1969

Hey Panther welcome to Worthy!

I should come visit your church sometime. I have some tattoos and an earring, go about 250lbs, and when dieting and carb-deprived, I get a little ornery. I'd like to see if your pastor calls me a girly-man. :oww: He must like Arnold, he's copying his phrase!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,026
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

Hey Panther,

I believe the anti christ will be all white washed and wearing a three piece suit, does that make him holy? :o

Dont worry about your outward appearance so long as you aren't being lewd or impure, otherwise i doubt very seriously if God is sweating it. Seeing Christ in you should be enough for them to know who you belong to. Those who cant recognize Him in you, probably dont know Him.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  144

The way we look doesn't affect our salvation, but rather our relationships with others.

Consider:

1 Corinthians 6:12

All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful.

If our "look" destracts someone from your message of the Gospel I would say it wouldn't be helpful even though it would be permissable.

I think this is why we are to be modest and not extreme in our appearance.

Also:

Romans 14:21

It is good neither to eat meat nor drink wine nor do anything by which your brother stumbles or is offended or is made weak.

If the way we look causes others to stumble then we should do what we can to change out of consideration for others (as an act of Love).

Edited by Green Darner

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Ask the pastor if he is willing to pay the cost for you to have those tatoos removed. :oww: :huh:

Keep in mind that the "adornments" and such described in the OT Instructions had were about separating the Israelites from the other nations. Tatoos and body piercings back then were as much idol-worship related as anything.

Funny, there's a passage in there about not wearing garments of mixed clothing. Ever notice how no preacher wants to touch that verse! :oww: