• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  684
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  2

There is only one presidential candidate that wants to address these issues, while all others don't even acknowledge most of the fundamental problems. Unfortunately many people don't understand enough about the US constitution to know what the boundaries of the Federal government.

The government through use of media has successfully painted cutting military spending as being unpatriotic, leading to uncontrolled spending.

Edited by udx

There is only one presidential candidate that wants to address these issues, while all others don't even acknowledge most of the fundamental problems. Unfortunately many people don't understand enough about the US constitution to know what the boundaries of the Federal government.

The government through use of media has successfully painted cutting military spending as being unpatriotic, leading to uncontrolled spending.

Military spending is only a small part of the problems this country has, and that alone won't solve the problems.

I'm curious about something though, not attacking.

Why is it that you seem so focused on that one issue about cutting military spending when there are plenty of other issues that need to resolved also?

Military spending is only a small part of the problems this country has, and that alone won't solve the problems.

Why is it that you seem so focused on that one issue about cutting military spending when there are plenty of other issues that need to resolved also?

Because military spending is the single biggest discretionary spending (about 1 trillion) that is unnecessary/wasteful and cutting it would immediately fix the deficit?

All other reforms takes a long time to implement.

I don't know about you, but when i fix a problem I start from the easiest problem to solve that has the most immediate and wide impact.

Edited by udx

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

Because military spending is the single biggest discretionary spending (about 1 trillion) that is unnecessary/wasteful and cutting it would immediately fix the deficit?

I don't know about you, but when i fix a problem I start from the easiest problem to solve that has the most immediate and wide impact.

Military spending is, indeed, discretionary but it is NOT unnecessary. Without our military standing between you and the world, you would be speaking Russian or Chinese......maybe Farsi. I'm for cutting welfare, unemployment and Medicaid by cutting the 40% or so of recipients (and prosecuting them) that obtain these benefits through fraud. This would save and recover billions.

Military spending is, indeed, discretionary but it is NOT unnecessary. Without our military standing between you and the world, you would be speaking Russian or Chinese......maybe Farsi. I'm for cutting welfare, unemployment and Medicaid by cutting the 40% or so of recipients (and prosecuting them) that obtain these benefits through fraud. This would save and recover billions.

Yes it is not unnecessary. But have you consider how obscene the amount spent on military is (spent more than top countries combined)? The govt is so quick to cut education spending while leaving military spending untouched, when the biggest threat to a nation's well being is an under-educated populace.

Military spending is unsustainable, at about 900 billion that is about $3000 per person (assuming population of 300 million, though many don't pay taxes). People are just not seeing the effects of military spending yet because it is covered by Federal reserve printing more money (devaluating the currency), but sooner or later it would have to cut in a dramatic fashion if it isn't addressed. The question is whether we cut spending now, while we still have a choice or wait till the time when we have to cut it because we have no other choice.

To be clear, I am not saying to cut ALL military spending. There is a big difference between cutting spending a lot and cutting spending entirely. Too often people take cutting spending as effectively cutting spending on it entirely, and argue about the consequences of that which totally misses the point.

Yes it is not unnecessary. But have you consider how obscene the amount spent on military is (spent more than top countries combined)? The govt is so quick to cut education spending while leaving military spending untouched, when the biggest threat to a nation's well being is an under-educated populace.

I find it really ironic that there is a double standard in spending. When a school is failing its students, you cut its spending because it is not performing, but when the military fail, you increase its spending substantially. Nobody ask if the strategy is actually effective, but just dumps more money to fix the problem.

Military spending is unsustainable, at about 900 billion that is about $3000 per person (assuming population of 300 million, though many don't pay taxes). People are just not seeing the effects of military spending yet because it is covered by Federal reserve printing more money (devaluating the currency, aka generational theft ), but sooner or later it would have to cut in a dramatic fashion, or continue letting the military budget eat into what is more important (education), if it isn't addressed. The question is whether we cut spending now, while we still have a choice or wait till the time when we have to cut it because we have no other choice.

Edited by udx

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  1,246
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Days Won:  5

good withdrawal us from the un and nato and the wto as well. that way if opec goes to *edit* we can act unilaterally.the un has asked to get into some conflicts we didnt need to and lybia is one of those.

Edited by ~candice~

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  1,246
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Days Won:  5

but im not a ron paul supporter so take note of the sarcasm. reality wont allow us to do those things paul wants.securing the border with what? if its a state national guard issue then its federally funded in parts. if its the army calling the guard to fall in under the states command then its the same. either way it will cost

While staying at a homeless shelter I listened to a guy as he delivered a 45 minute lecture about how to "get a nut check" by gaming the system to get a mental illness disability. He was quite detailed and knowledgeable about his subject - got his "check" and moved out of the shelter a few months later. :blink: There is a lot of abuse of the disability system by people looking to not work for a living, so that's a good place to start. Shutting down all foreign aid (except Israel and disaster or humanitarian relief) would be a good place to start for that also.

On the military spending, udx: What Onelight said.

Edited by walla299