IGNORED

Father teaches daughter lesson on Facebook

nebula

Oh get over it. This has nothing to do with "smacking" or abusing that child. I've NEVER had to smack my kids....hint hint...because I follow through with what punishment I say they will receive if they mess up.

No I wouldn't post it on facebook.....but thats my personal choice. I doubt he would have either if he would of known what kind of response he was going to get.

You didn't get my point read it again. :) I have smacked my children and severely punished them when necessary. Discipline isn't abuse but a Godly requirement of any parent. My kids also have never shown me such disrespect and I suggest we might be better parents. :) That isn't always the case though.

Following through is very important and the dad could have done this WITHOUT the facebook shenanigans.

Glad you have more sense than him.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

I believe the father has done well in disciplining the girl harshly; however his method was poor. He showed the same immaturity as the daughter in making his point ,which indicated a lack of good parenting skills, and could partly be the reason he has such a rebellious daughter. I think his method will work in subduing the girl temporarily but will set a precedent where she may think destroying property is a good way of making a point. He could simply have removed the computer and privately delivered his tongue lashing while making a strong commitment to retrain her. Shooting the computer was typical American side showing imo and soap opera stuff.

Shocking, no? :P

You obviously haven't dealt with the entitlment society that we have here and neither do you understand that anything less than Truth, smack between the eyes, will get to our over sensationalized youth.:blink:

Apparently, they're so advanced in parenting that they've forsaken hte law of consequence and taken to just legalizing drugs and fornication for all teens everywhere. It's so civilized don't ya know?:emot-handshake:

Better a hole in that computer than a teen who's next cry for attention might have been a trip into a drug induced haze.:thumbsup:

No it isn't shocking. :) I was chuckling actually at another American side show. :P

I understand the the need for truth and I also understand the need for maturity and self control when dishing out discipline and punishment. I guess you don't get my point. Smack between the eyes is a great way to discipline and can be achieved in many ways by a good parent.

Putting a hole in the computer is fine but side showing and stooping to juvenile levels won't teach a kid to handle things maturely.

You do undstand maturity is important in parenting ?

Yes, I do and sometimes a 45 slug is too, apparently.:laugh:

Where do you live that you've achieved Utopia and transgressed the laws of teen angst? Perchance that you live in that bastion of Teen Utopia and perfect rearing, Europe?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  95
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

I don't know. There's something about the destruction of property and instilling of fear into a child that is not very Christ-like. Should we teach our children to destroy property when they don't agree with something or if someone says something terrible about them? It's not only immature, it's a crime in the adult world. I would try a more gentler approach. But, I haven't parented a teenager yet, so I guess we'll see. lol

you are right, we will see. A teenager can drive you bananas.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I don't know. There's something about the destruction of property and instilling of fear into a child that is not very Christ-like. Should we teach our children to destroy property when they don't agree with something or if someone says something terrible about them? It's not only immature, it's a crime in the adult world. I would try a more gentler approach. But, I haven't parented a teenager yet, so I guess we'll see. lol

Are you sure the action instilled fear?

But anyway, if your child said of you what she said of her parents, what would you have done? How would your teach her it inappropriate to use the words she did, have the attitude she had, and basically being a spoil-sport brat who only demand more?

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Forget it, I see that you're from the Land of Oz, "Way down Under." I know folks from there and they haven't completely lost their senses or literally given in. It must be a private matter.:wub:

Following through is very important and the dad could have done this WITHOUT the facebook shenanigans.

He was doing that for the sake of her friends "who thought it was cute". The offense was public, so the response was public.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  334
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  4

Are you sure the action instilled fear?

But anyway, if your child said of you what she said of her parents, what would you have done? How would your teach her it inappropriate to use the words she did, have the attitude she had, and basically being a spoil-sport brat who only demand more?

I honestly don't know what I would do. Maybe kick her out of the house? Have her do volunteer work where she can learn respect and appreciation of others? I don't know. Like I said, I've never parented a teen.

Guest shiloh357

Well, I've told my son after he began to drive (we supplied his car/pay his insurance etc...) that if he ever messed up we would be having a Ford Explorer Bon Fire. I meant it, and he knows I meant it. If he gets caught drinking driving or anything else that is illegal he will be watching that vehicle burn.

My kids whole life they have known if I say there will be punishment for bad behavior, that it WILL happen. None of this no no don't do that, or hun why did you do that, please try better next time. Then continue on that endless ro. ute of teaching them they can do anything they want because your spineless. Then they grow into rotten adults. I know, I've seen them everyday of my life. I watch kids tell their parents what to do not the other way around...it makes me sick.

You go dad! Shoot that laptop...I would of done the same thing!!!

Would you post your son's car burning on facebook? Oh better yet why don't we start posting smacking our kids online so the whole world can see what great disciplinariians we are The punishment is fine but the side show is immature.

The punishment fit the crime. She was a spoiled brat and purposely humiliated her parents in public. If the offense is public the punishment should be just as public. I hope more parents have the nerve and the backbone this guy has.

Shooting the computer was typical American side showing imo and soap opera stuff.

Just curious -

Would you have been less offended had he used a sledge hammer rather than a gun?

Did you read the whole story?

His daughter had previously bad-mouthed her parents on Facebook. He gave removed her computer rights and gave her a tongue lashing. It did not work!

He made his punishment public to her FB wall because she spoke vile things against her parents in public on FB, and many of her friends thought it "cute". So, as he said in the video, he was teaching them a lesson as well.

Do you have any experience trying to discipline a teen with the kind of attitude she expressed?

Yes I read the whole story and watched the video and it would be ignorant of me to comment if I hadn't.

Answering a childish immature action in kind is NOT good parenting. Is that how you discipline your kids?

I have kids and I know girls can be a real handful in the teenage years. I took my girl to the police once, when strife was afoot ,and she bawled her eyes out for me being so mean. She certainly didn't pursue the bad course though . :)

Do you have any experience dealing with such a child as you have asked me ?