Crusader4Christ

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,029
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0

Is marriage outside of a christian church/ institution a sin for christians? Does God make it clear in scripture that christians must be married in a christian church? If so, please point me to these scriptures. I find this a very interesting question.

Now what I mean by marriage outside of a christian church/ institution is being married by the city (I don't mean christians being married in a Muslim Mosque or whatnot). To be more specific, being married by a Justice of the Peace. Is this wrong?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

Im interested in this as well. Ive always thought that the marriage itself was important to God, not where it took place. I know that in biblical times, a betrothal was almost as important as the marriage itself. The betrothal was so important, that if a man died before the wedding, then the woman was considered a widow. This is not how angagements are viewed today. Perhaps someone with more knowledge in this area can explain more............

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  179
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

If both are christians, getting married under God.. I dont see why it matters if its done by a priest or pastor or not.. marriage is legaly binding, so as long as its done under the law, an official marriage, I feel God is always a part of it if the couple ask Him to be. I feel its more in how the COUPLE go about the union than the person who does the union.

• Topic Count:  72
  • Content Count:  1,029

If both are christians, getting married under God.. I dont see why it matters if its done by a priest or pastor or not.. marriage is legaly binding, so as long as its done under the law, an official marriage, I feel God is always a part of it if the couple ask Him to be. I feel its more in how the COUPLE go about the union than the person who does the union.

This is how I feel about it. As long as the relationship between the two is a godly and God-fearing one, I see nothing wrong with them being wed outside of a christian church/ institution. Now I know there are those who will disagree, but that's okay. I don't find this to be an issue of Salvation, but still an issue of interest nonetheless. Let's keep it a peaceful and fruitful discussion.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,489
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

This is just my opinion..but anyway:

Marriage is a covenant between two ppl and God, it's also a sacred "reflection" of the relationship between Christ and His Bride, the church. Therefore, I think it should be honored and celebrated appropriately. (by this I'm meaning in a church by a pastor and attended by loved ones).

To me, anything less just doesn't do it justice and sort of devalues the holy committment that it is.

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  2,244
  • Content Per Day:  0.31

2 Corinthians 6

Do Not Be Yoked With Unbelievers

14Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? 15What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? 16What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God has said: "I will live with them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my people."

17"Therefore come out from them

and be separate, says the Lord.

Touch no unclean thing,

and I will receive you."

• Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,013

20 And they commanded the children of Benjamin, saying, Go and lie in wait in the vineyards,

21 and see, and, behold, if the daughters of Shiloh come out to dance in the dances, then come ye out of the vineyards, and catch you every man his wife of the daughters of Shiloh, and go to the land of Benjamin.

22 And it shall be, when their fathers or their brethren come to complain unto us, that we will say unto them, Grant them graciously unto us, because we took not for each man of them his wife in battle, neither did ye give them unto them, else would ye now be guilty.

23 And the children of Benjamin did so, and took them wives, according to their number, of them that danced, whom they carried off: and they went and returned unto their inheritance, and built the cities, and dwelt in them.

-Judges

I believe the OP referred to 2 Christians getting married in church versus Justice of the Peace. Nothing was said about one beleiver and an unbeliever getting married.

• Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

It doesn't matter where the marriage is held. Tess has the right idea, however the church is the gathering of believers. In the early church we know people got married, however there were no churches to do this in. So how were their marriages honored? As long as there is a gathering of believers, or it is in front of Christ, then it is a valid marriage.

As long as there is a gathering of believers, or it is in front of Christ, then it is a valid marriage.

Civil marriages would not count? I know some Christians who are remarried following divorce and keep talking about how it is civil marriage, not in church. I dont see how that would be different in God's eyes.

FYI, I am not saying anything for or against those of you who are divorced or remarried. I am not a judge of that situation at all. Please do not take my words like that. I am merely curious about what people think. I was married in a church, by our pastor. But I had a strong urge to elope 3 weeks before the wedding...parents etc, you know. Planning a wedding and doing an internship....stress level was high. To me, civil or in church, it doesnt matter in God's eyes, it is still a marriage.