ray

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,111
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Days Won:  0

I am having a conflict over what to do with my kids on Halloween this year.

I have an 8 yr. old daughter and 3 yr.old son. My daughter loves dressing up for Halloween and going out and getting a bunch of candy.

I thought Halloween was harmless; after all I loved it as a kid. But is it right for a Christian to participate in this custom?

Some people say it sends the wrong message to children about greed. Also it is based on an ancient Druid holiday, when the dead were believed to return and mingle among the living.

So, is it wrong or not? As Christians we should not love the things of this world more than we love God. Aren't we to live holy lives and set a godly example for the world to see?

Instead of trying to conform to worldly customs and seek the world's blessings, we should turn our attention instead to the many blessings God gives to those who obey him.

I guess I answered my own question. It's not right for us as Christians to participate in Halloween. What do you guys think?

In Christ,

CarolineS :rofl:

Caroline, I think you will find this thread interesting. Grab a cup of coffee and sit back - it's thirty pages long. :blink:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,029
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

Check your local churches- many of them will have an Halloween alternative- for example, my church hosts a fall festival on Halloween night. They play Christian games, bob for apples, give out candy, etc.- and it's open to the public. It's a great opportunity to fellowship and share the Gospel with non-believers! :blink:

Ooooh.......good one! Yes, there are lots of neat things the Churches put on. One is "Judgement House" - my kids ask me to take them every year. I hope our OP can find one near him.

WIP, could you explain what "Judgement House" is? I'm not familiar with this since I've never been to a non-catholic church. Catholic churches probably don't do this.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  2,244
  • Content Per Day:  0.31

I believe you can worship God and trick-or-treat. i saw this one family trick-or-treating and giving out tracks while Trick-or-treating. Going as something evil could be wrong, but going as something good is ok in my opinion, but that is what it is Just an Opinion you be the judge :)

• Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

I passed out tracts two years ago. You'd be suprised how many people were receptive!

t.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  149
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

There is no inbetween. If you like candy, go out and buy some.

If they want to have dress up costumes to play in, buy them some.

If you want to celebrate Halloween, go "trick and treat"

I went trick-or-treating for at least 9 years before I stopped, and I enjoyed it. I didn't think about the satanism and the whatnot about it. I never dressed up like a demon or a devil when I went (I did go as a ghost and a vampire, but that's another story.) I feel that as long as you yourself aren't participating in anything satanic, you shouldn't be a stumbling-block.

What I mean by a being a positive influence is that we, as christians, should stand out from the rest and make it another God-glorifying day.

And christian parents should let their children go out for Hallowe'en if they choose to. As long as the kids dress up in modest costumes, why not? Let them have fun. I know I did.

I agree with this.. Hey when did you make you stop trick or treating.. I had to stop at 13 :suspect: I blame my parents for that.. :suspect: any ways.. yeh.. I agree with this.. altho yes I have dressed up as a witch for the past years of my trick-or-treating, thats just cause I look good in a black hat and with gray hair..*Kinda scary since I am only 16----17 in 27 days*

I went trick-or-treating for at least 9 years before I stopped, and I enjoyed it. I didn't think about the satanism and the whatnot about it. I never dressed up like a demon or a devil when I went (I did go as a ghost and a vampire, but that's another story.) I feel that as long as you yourself aren't participating in anything satanic, you shouldn't be a stumbling-block.

What I mean by a being a positive influence is that we, as christians, should stand out from the rest and make it another God-glorifying day.

And christian parents should let their children go out for Hallowe'en if they choose to. As long as the kids dress up in modest costumes, why not? Let them have fun. I know I did.

I agree with this.. Hey when did you make you stop trick or treating.. I had to stop at 13 :suspect: I blame my parents for that.. :suspect: any ways.. yeh.. I agree with this.. altho yes I have dressed up as a witch for the past years of my trick-or-treating, thats just cause I look good in a black hat and with gray hair..*Kinda scary since I am only 16----17 in 27 days*

I decided to stop trick-or-treating at age 13. I guess I got bored of it after so many years of doing it.

here in the USA Trick-Or-Treating is just something that happens, I mean, seriously alot of kids dont go out and dress up to worship the devil... I know.. I am one in a big way..eheh.. *always will be* but see.. the thing is.. that Kids dress up well like they do and in the "evil" constumes just because they get more candy at certian houses with nice constumes.. its just a custom of us Americans.. thats all..

here in the USA Trick-Or-Treating is just something that happens, I mean, seriously alot of kids dont go out and dress up to worship the devil... I know.. I am one in a big way..eheh.. *always will be* but see.. the thing is.. that Kids dress up well like they do and in the "evil" constumes just because they get more candy at certian houses with nice constumes.. its just a custom of us Americans.. thats all..

I live in Canada, and I guess you could say that it's the same thing up here.

• Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

I don't dress up in costumes any more. I have changed my evil ways.

Now, I just hide behind trees and steal the bags from little kids as they walk by! :):D

I have my 12 yr old son in training to get them too! :D

t.