Gael

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  65
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  1

I saw the term "casual Christian" mentioned in another thread and was wondering what everyone's opinion on that is. Is it really possible to be a "casual Christian"? Is it a term only used to describe some in the United States? Isn't easier to be a Christian in the U.S. than probably anywhere else in the world? I doubt very seriously if there are any "casual Christians" in places like North Korea, Iran, Iraq, or China where it could cost you your life for being a follower of Jesus.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  115
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

I saw the term "casual Christian" mentioned in another thread and was wondering what everyone's opinion on that is. Is it really possible to be a "casual Christian"? Is it a term only used to describe some in the United States? Isn't easier to be a Christian in the U.S. than probably anywhere else in the world? I doubt very seriously if there are any "casual Christians" in places like North Korea, Iran, Iraq, or China where it could cost you your life for being a follower of Jesus.

really good question. I spent a week or about that time looking for a good bible study group around London - I have come across this 'casual' Christian term too. Ok granted I haven't quote the bible or anything at one of these meetings I attended and im no genius but I dont get why people call themselves that it just seems silly. I met some really great people and some space cadets but on whole I'm an all or nothing type so for me I don't think a class works just yet.

I met someone who called themselves a casual and then jokingly a part timer I was like huh :noidea: so i asked her one question so: how do you switch it off? (I felt guilty for making her feel stupid though)

Edited by freeinnocentspirit

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

No such thing as a casual Christian.

This scripture comes to mind;

2Ti 3:5

Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

I understand the term though because I used to be one and I've worked with them as well. They aren't Christians although they do wear a cross and some even have tattoo's of a Cross.

God doesn't honor what one wears. He honors what's in your heart.:wub:

Peace,

Dave

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  17
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  01/17/1969

really good question. I spent a week or about that time looking for a good bible study group around London - I have come across this 'casual' Christian term too. Ok granted I haven't quote the bible or anything at one of these meetings I attended and im no genius but I dont get why people call themselves that it just seems silly. I met some really great people and some space cadets but on whole I'm an all or nothing type so for me I don't think a class works just yet.

I met someone who called themselves a casual and then jokingly a part timer I was like huh :noidea: so i asked her one question so: how do you switch it off? (I felt guilty for making her feel stupid though)

Your "all or nothing" reminded me of Jesus' warning against the lukewarm being vomited out His mouth. He'd prefer we were all or nothing (hot or cold) I think, as opposed to lukewarm/casual.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  382
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  3

This is only my opinion, but I consider a casual christian a person who does not really live the christian life. They don't witness to people, they don't regulary go to church, they don't regularly read the bible, they don't regulary pray, etc. They DO believe and have a relationship with Christ, but the fire of god has died to a little candle and they mostly go through the motions.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  65
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

This is only my opinion, but I consider a casual christian a person who does not really live the christian life. They don't witness to people, they don't regulary go to church, they don't regularly read the bible, they don't regulary pray, etc. They DO believe and have a relationship with Christ, but the fire of god has died to a little candle and they mostly go through the motions.

But how can you have a relationship with someone and never want to spend any time with them?

I just don't understand how someone knowing the price Jesus paid for them would not want to follow him, out of graititude if nothing else. I just have a hard time grasping the concept of a "casual Christian", unless they have honestly been decieved to the point they don't think it's necessary.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,782
  • Content Per Day:  0.36

Talking about a "casual" Christian is akin to discussing, for one example, a hockey player very wobbly on skates, or a baseball player who hits only .166 and likes it! The "casual" Christian thinks he/she is a Christian, would like others to kindly believe such, but clear-cut evidences are nowhere to be found. Yes, he/she may "hit" church the odd Sunday A.M. (without their Bible), especially at Easter or Christmas, but if the truth was really known they'd be seen functioning 75% in the world and only $25% in the church. One foot in the world; the other church-wise now & again. They know about tithing but their offering might amount to what, oh, a quik five bucks, if that.

They woud never see the inside of a prayer meeting. They'd never attend a Sunday night service, that is, unless major entertainment was featured and unless fgood was provided. Bible Study wouldn't make much, if any impression on them. Yes, yes, they'd come to a church wedding, maybe the funeral service of a neighbor or certainly a loved one.

The real problem with a "casual" Christian is that the essential New birth of John Chapter Three would be foreign to them, or if they thought they had been born again years before, they have now "progressed" into a form of semi-religiousity whereby they like the idea of setting their own life standards - some would describe it as "non-standards" - for religion affiliations as the spirit of self-righteousness might dictate to them.

"Casual" Christianity is deadly "Christianity" - not Christianity at all. simply a human stroll in lock-step with the enemies of the Cross of Christ. One could wonder if they had really been born from above via the Holy Spirit of God. Why? Because Christian evidences would be absent. They have that "zea"l somewhere in their background but minus all Holy Ghost power & biblical knowledge.

Bottom Line: Can one be a "casual" Christian & all that that implies, yet be saved? I hear you but where are the evidences? "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them and they follow Me!"

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  115
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

But how can you have a relationship with someone and never want to spend any time with them?

I just don't understand how someone knowing the price Jesus paid for them would not want to follow him, out of graititude if nothing else. I just have a hard time grasping the concept of a "casual Christian", unless they have honestly been decieved to the point they don't think it's necessary.

For me it is a comical concept - I dont get it at all either. A Casual Christian to me sounds like someone who is kinda Christian. But then how can I be kinda female?

Then again I think its a process element, Like what drives a person to believe in Christ and the Holy Spirit and keeps their faith so strong. If something occurs in a person life you almost wake up from a deep sleep and see the light. Your hooked and you cant turn away from what you now see. However if your an unaffected with any suffering in your life (the very luck type!) and simply attend church for attendance sake and do identify as a Christian...maybe that's the casual Christian.