• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Another link showing observed rising sea level.

http://tidesandcurre...s/sltrends.html

Some areas are going down and some are going up........ how can you tell if the sea level is going up and down or the land itself. It seems to me that if the sea level was actually changes that much, it would all be the same direction....

Don't forget that the earth's crust is seldom stationary, and I don't see any way to know for sure which is moving.

All you have to do is talk to the nearest Harbor Master and see if his tide charts have changed. All the 'sources' udx cites would seem to have a dog in the fight, from government agencies, acting as their own special interest group (they want to get more money for their little agencies) to 'scientists and researchers' who want government grants (IE: TAXPAYERS' MONEY!!!), it is IN THEIR BENEFIT to spread hysteria. The Harbor Master does not care one way or the other; his only concern is bringing the ships in sans incident, and must have accurate tide charts.

Besides that, people are nuts to build right on the coast at sea level in my personal viewpoint. It's like the people who keep rebuilding houses on the coast and expect my insurance premiums to keep rebuilding their houses from hurricanes...... it's nuts.

It looks like the majority of the readings are going up, especially for densely populated areas along the coast.

the entire north American plate could just as easily be sinking and the sea floor rising. Equalizing the weight of the earth's crust. Who's to know and from where would you take a reference point to measure.

Eh...you do understand how plate tectonic works right? Continental plates have lower density than oceanic plates. By basic physics, they do not sink below oceanic plates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_crust

Your idea is interesting although it just doesn't happen in reality.

If you're really interested in evidence, why did you not answer the simple fact that tide charts haven't changed for at least 140 years.................

Yes, I am interested in evidence.. and I am not getting any? You either agree with the statement I made that I have backed up with my evidence, or disagree with my statement by providing counter evidence, which no one on this thread is able to do, but disagree for the sake of disagreeing nevertheless.

And what does tide charts have to do with this discussion? What is your citation for tide charts being accurate for the past 140 years?

Tidal predictions are not constant and influence by variety of factors (wind, ocean currents etc), so it is not a good evidence for either proving or disproving sea level rise.

The fact there are thousands of tidal stations all over the world disprove your notion that tidal charts/tables do not change.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/earth/oceanography/tide-table1.htm