• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,931
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  07/13/1955

The movie that has everyone hot and bothered of late may well be the most disgusting movie yet. There isn't enough food, so let's have a contest and the winner...gets to eat. It's children killing children in gladitorial games. AND THE KIDS ARE EATING IT UP.

Has anyone actually seen this tripe?

• Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,961
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  0

I won't participate in this discussion. But I'll provide an overview of the movie......so it can be discussed clearly.

http://www.focusonthefamily.com/parenting/protecting_your_family/book-reviews/h/hunger-games.aspx

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  732
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  04/30/1971

I have not read any of the books, nor seen the movie. However, my (admittedly limited) understanding is that the book is something of a condemnation of the increasingly voyeuristic and graphic "reality" tv shows that are so much a part of our culture. It is also intended to warn about the dangers of a government grown too big and selfish. I don't think it is intended to glorify the fight to the death that the children are forced to participate in. Instead, it seems to strive to use it to demonstrate just how far those in power have "fallen."

As I've said, I have not seen the movie or read the books, but I can certainly imagine a day when something like this would happen. As the article refugepsa91 posted states, similar things have already happened in the past. The Roman Coliseum and the atrocities that took place there is proof of just how bloodthirsty and heartless humans can be, and it isn't an imaginary story.

There have been a seemingly endless array of books and movies that share a similar theme of people fighting to the death, or killing others purely for the pleasure and entertainment of a mercenary and decadent "elite" class, or even for the masses. The Hunger Games is just another added to that list. The only difference is the "gladiators" in this instance are children.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

The movie that has everyone hot and bothered of late may well be the most disgusting movie yet. There isn't enough food, so let's have a contest and the winner...gets to eat. It's children killing children in gladitorial games. AND THE KIDS ARE EATING IT UP.

Has anyone actually seen this tripe?

I believe it's an interesting commentary on the times in which we live. Replace the premise with Obamacare and see how far that gets you. :thumbsup:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  1,246
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Days Won:  5

i havent read the reviews but yes kids seem to love. as a vet of war who can easily look at death and not be phased all that much. i find it discussing as i dont like forcing myself to block the normal reactions.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  258
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

Saw the movie the other night because I wanted to see what all the hype was about.

Its sad that we are living in a time where it is undeniable that we find murder a form of entertainment.

Sure its not "real", but watching this stuff effects our spirit.

That this would appeal to the youngsters and that those youngsters parents are taking them to see this is disturbing.

Where does the chain break, does the generation that is growing up on these movies then eventually take their children to go see Bambi as the hilight of the week?

I shudder to think where this is leading. :emot-argh:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

One of our theaters in town had a free showing and the kids were lined up for two days! I had no idea what it was about until just few days ago, and I am seriously sickened. What is the fascination of Christians with witchcraft (Harry Potter), vampirism (Twilight), and just plain images of violence and murder doing to our youth and younger children?

Christian parents need to be a lot more restrictive and knowledgeable about the influences out there on our children's hearts and minds.