MooseGirl

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  65
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

It doesnt offend me seeing G-d, I have never seen anyone spell it like that. Of course this is my first time being on any kind of christian web site.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  131
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,188
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  8

Go back and read what I said..........

In the Bibles that I HAVE READ !

I only know the ENGLISH language.

GOD BLESS you, vod

LOVE and PEACE to everyone, :hug:

• Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

Ooops. Sorry I was in a rush when I wrote this earlier.

For example the Tetragrammaton is generally rendered YWHW but some Ultra-Orthodox will use the form YKWK because the former even without the vowels is too close to taking the Mighty Name of the L-rd in vain.

I may not agree but I appreciate their zealousness for G-d and Torah.

It should have read YHVH...as Yod wrote it.

For example the Tetragrammaton is generally rendered YHVH but some Ultra-Orthodox will use the form YKVK because the former even without the vowels is too close to taking the Mighty Name of the L-rd in vain.

I may not agree but I appreciate their zealousness for G-d and Torah.

The point is whatever your point of view even if you think it is a bit quirky or false piety...you don't know a persons heart and it should never be something that causes you refuse to fellowship with a Believer...which was part of my initial experience with someone. I must also say that whatever Dad Ernies opinion about this minor issue I have never felt any animosity from him whatsoever...quite the reverse. :laugh:

Sometimes we want to put each other in a box and get people to conform to our own perceptions and misconceptions...there are far more important things to be getting on with...and there is room for all sorts in the kingdom of G-d....just take a look in the mirror next time. :laugh:

• Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  2,802
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Birthday:  06/01/1945

Greetings All,

I don't often apologize, as you all know, but I do at times when an argument is presented that I cannot refute. For many years now I have been inundated with the "Sacred Namers", and it is to them I responded, but I see Yod's and WIP's et al, POV and I respect it. A question was asked and I responded. It is basically how I see it, but NOT to disrespect those who are not oppressing me with their POV or requiring me to follow after them. I am fed up with that group as you can tell, but I sincerely apologize if I have offended ANYONE else by my last post. I ask your forgiveness. I will try to do better.

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

• Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

IMHO if you cant say God its being disrespectful to him......i read alot on cultures and if you didnt say some ones name they were considered dead

not to mention it looks plain silly G-d or l-rd

plus no where in the bible does it say to use a - in my name he said i am thy lord God not i am thy l-rd G-d

We get it from Hebrew writings and Greek writings. often times the Hebrew scribes would omit a certain letter from God's name out of respect. To say that it's silly or wrong is simply to be ethnocentric.

• Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  2,802
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Birthday:  06/01/1945

Greetings SuperJew,

We get it from Hebrew writings and Greek writings. often times the Hebrew scribes would omit a certain letter from God's name out of respect. To say that it's silly or wrong is simply to be ethnocentric.

If and when this was done, it was in extra-Biblical writings, and NOT in Holy Writ.

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  2,244
  • Content Per Day:  0.31

I disagree there Ernie. I have been talking to a nice Jewish woman, respectful and worshipful of God, and she too uses G-d when she does not use HaShem for His name. Those who choose to use G-d do not seem falsely pious to me, merely respectful to the Lord in their own way. I capitalize Lord, God, Jesus, Holy Spirit as well as His, He, You, Your when in reference to Him. That is how I show respect. If anyone is falsely pious, you can be sure the Lord will know the heart.

I agree, I a too show respect in the way you do with capitalizing Lord, God, Jesus, Holy Spirit as well as His, He, You, Your when in reference to God.

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  2,244
  • Content Per Day:  0.31

geez ... anyone who has a problem with this is a baby... Don't you see this is their sign of respect? People are becoming like the Pharisees!!! You have pushed stupid laws and in-force them as if they where the LAW! It is their sign of respect, like you give respect.

You who have a problem with this stop being Pharisees.

• Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

If and when this was done, it was in extra-Biblical writings, and NOT in Holy Writ.

Well, you're wrong on that :laugh:

Many of the Greek manuscripts simply use "chi" (X) to resemble Christ. In fact, this is most definately a mark of a Jewish scribe who wrote it and kept it this way out of respect. One of the first things you learn in Greek is to pay attention to the abbreviations of God's names. The Gentile writings don't have them, however the Jewish writings definately do. It's the same in Hebrew.

Now does this mean we have to write out God "G-D". Not at all. It's just how their culture dealt with it. We have manuscripts that abbreviate and others that don't. All it shows is a difference in culture. In modern day it's just up to the culture on how to write it or the person. If a person feels they are showing respect by omitting a letter, then so be it. I mean, after all, "God" is just the English name. In all reality, God doesn't even have a name except for "I -M". (This I do choose to omit because it is a name the Jews traditionally are not suppoe to say or write.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  36
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I feel like I have learned something today. I now do not have aproblem with using God as G-d I understand now. However, I still will use God.

Thanks!