IGNORED

At What Point Does a Job Get Abusive?

Wondering what others thing about abusive work places. How much is too much to put up with until you can find work elsewhere? I'm thinking of office policy type stuff rather than that "jerk" boss everyone has dealt with at some point in their working lives. This might include things like being told you can't have a lunch break, can't eat at your desk, etc., "you'll just have to eat before you come on your 8 hour shift.", being treated in other ways as if you are a 3 year old each day when you are an adult.

I get it that as believers we are to submit to authority. That's not the issue. What do you do when the authority starts getting abusive?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  48
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/22/1984

I put it back in It's place.

Years ago where I work people never drunk (water) or ate because they were told it cannot be done. A colleague with kidneys problem had to present a medical certification to keep a bottle of water with her. At first I didn't say anything about it. When even I begun to have to dring regularly, I simply kept a bottle with me, without saying anything. When people asked: "You keep a bottle? They don't say nothing to you?" I simply answered: "And who could say to me something like You can't drink? With all the complaint I could file against everyone or the company itself I'm pretty sure they know It's better to don't say nothing"

Now everyone keeps a bottle. The point is that nobody can deny your rights.

So, my advice is this: if you want to find work elsewhere do it, but at first teach wisdom to your co-workers. That's what Solomon teaches in Ec 10:4

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I thought the law required a meal break? Isn't there an official agency you can send complaints like this to?

I thought the law required a meal break? Isn't there an official agency you can send complaints like this to?

There is, but to do so basically means you'd be fired instantly. My area is not known for being "user friendly" and I have no intention of being homeless again. This is not so much about faith as it is not doing something dumb on my part. :) Part of the issue is that we are contract workers and management will do anything to avoid loosing the contract -- meaning they will happily toss anyone under the bus who makes waves. Anyone who has issues is on their own, and can expect little help from them. I am not going to toss away a job without having something else lined up if I can avoid it.

If they get really stupid and try to tell me to violate God's Word -- I'll quit in a heart beat.

I put it back in It's place. <snip> The point is that nobody can deny your rights.

So, my advice is this: if you want to find work elsewhere do it, but at first teach wisdom to your co-workers. That's what Solomon teaches in Ec 10:4

That's all well and good -- but it needs to be done without getting fired first. :) They tried the no water thing here also -- which is illegal in my state since we're mostly desert. They dropped the issue like a hot potato when that little fact was mentioned. The situation is hard to describe and has more to do with psychological type abuse than the more obvious kind. These folks are very careful to avoid the lawyers. I'm looking for something else in the mean time but not having much in the way of results.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Start sending anonymous letters to OSHA.

Yep. We also have an Occupational Health and Safety Administration here. We also have an organisation called the CCMA that any employee, at no cost, can take a complaint to. No lawyers are permitted at these hearings on either side, and a retired judge makes the final and binding desicion. Employers are very wary of the CCMA, and some large cases have been won by employees.

Common cases are working hours, pay rates, overtime, discrimination, and unfair dismissal.

South Africans are entitled to two 15 min tea breaks and one 30 min lunch break in an eight hour day, minimum. Most don't take the tea break and take a one hour lunch break, although most employers give a one hour lunch break anyway.

As to eating at your desk? Not a good idea if there is a computer on your desk.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Luke 18:1 And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint;.....7And shall not God avenge his own elect, which cry day and night unto him, though he bear long with them? 8I tell you that he will avenge them speedily....

But Jesus foreseeing that men would turn to OSHA, Unions and other man made protective services rather than to God himself asks:

.....Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?

I and others I work with suffer abuse. Although I take it patiently and pray for those in authority over me, I also bring it before Almighty God who is the righteous Judge over all and ask him to have a look at things and do what he deems good.

In Jesus Name,

Gary

But Jesus foreseeing that men would turn to OSHA, Unions and other man made protective services rather than to God himself asks:

You speak as if OSHA is some sort of evil institution and that anyone who dares to even consider contacting them does so because they lack faith.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

You speak as if OSHA is some sort of evil institution and that anyone who dares to even consider contacting them does so because they lack faith.

Man has a way of seeking man for answers/help and not God. Are you positive that OSHA is Gods answer to the problem?

Gary