IGNORED

Is It Acceptable for Christians to Swear?

Mila Friiele

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  29
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/29/1963

I come across so many Christians who have absolutely no problem with swearing. And I mean, swearing. Since when is it okay to let loose with a tirade of nasty language? Or even the "f" word. I had lunch with a woman calling herself a Christian, who says she believes there is nothing wrong with cussing. Or swearing. Even the "f" word is okay to her. I told her we are to be in the world but not of the world. Separate and called out, but that made no impression upon her at all. Her boyfriend has no trouble speaking with every second word being "f" this and "f" that, and then telling my other unsaved friend he needs Jesus. My friend later laughed and said they are no Christians.

There's at least one woman in my church who seems to believe that swearing is not an issue either. And though she doesn't use the "f" word, I find myself bothered by her language. I haven't said anything, and honestly not sure if I will. Perhaps these are signs of people falling away in the last days.

Does anyone else have a problem with this, or am I just being too "Christian".

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  40
  • Birthday:  09/09/1985

I've been doing really well in curbing my obsenities for a while, and I think the bible says it best in Ephesians 4:29, "29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.". I highly doubt that us using the F-bomb is building anybody up... that's probably been one of my greatest challenges, because I used to swear so much it became second nature, and I'm STILL trying to break the habit, especially if I'm having an impatient day or something... it's tough...

To answer the question, no I don't think we as Christians should swear. I'm sure we'll all have our slip ups, but we should be focusing on NOT using those words, as they don't benefit anyone else, including ourselves.

I've been doing really well in curbing my obsenities for a while, and I think the bible says it best in Ephesians 4:29, "29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.". I highly doubt that us using the F-bomb is building anybody up... that's probably been one of my greatest challenges, because I used to swear so much it became second nature, and I'm STILL trying to break the habit, especially if I'm having an impatient day or something... it's tough...

To answer the question, no I don't think we as Christians should swear. I'm sure we'll all have our slip ups, but we should be focusing on NOT using those words, as they don't benefit anyone else, including ourselves.

I slip up...crickey, it's gonna happen. I get frustrated with the computer and I can swear with the best of them...sometimes better, lol. But to continually swear and with such gusto...hahaha, oh my gosh. You're trying to change your language. Which is awesome. You also recognize that it is ungodly. They don't. Or they refuse to. And I think that's my biggest issue with this whole thing.

Thanks for the scripture verse. I'll be able to use that. :)

I slip up...crickey, it's gonna happen. I get frustrated with the computer and I can swear with the best of them...sometimes better, lol. But to continually swear and with such gusto...hahaha, oh my gosh. You're trying to change your language. Which is awesome. You also recognize that it is ungodly. They don't. Or they refuse to. And I think that's my biggest issue with this whole thing.

Absolutely! It's most unGodly. And that verse is what REALLY put it in perspective for me. My wife and I have both been working on it, with mixed results. But I think what your friends' problem is is that they are as you say, OF the world, and not IN it. They're not being the salt, and helping to preserve the world and flavor it. They're more than likely going along with a lot more social norms that are probably disturbing to those of us trying to walk closer to Christ...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  131
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,188
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  8

I come across so many Christians who have absolutely no problem with swearing. And I mean, swearing. Since when is it okay to let loose with a tirade of nasty language? Or even the "f" word. I had lunch with a woman calling herself a Christian, who says she believes there is nothing wrong with cussing. Or swearing. Even the "f" word is okay to her. I told her we are to be in the world but not of the world. Separate and called out, but that made no impression upon her at all. Her boyfriend has no trouble speaking with every second word being "f" this and "f" that, and then telling my other unsaved friend he needs Jesus. My friend later laughed and said they are no Christians.

There's at least one woman in my church who seems to believe that swearing is not an issue either. And though she doesn't use the "f" word, I find myself bothered by her language. I haven't said anything, and honestly not sure if I will. Perhaps these are signs of people falling away in the last days.

King James Version

About swearing.....

James 5:12

But, above all , my brethren,

do not swear , either by heaven or by earth

or with any other oath.

About Cussing....

James 3:10

Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing.

My brethren, these things ought not be so.

2 Timothy 2:16

But shun profane and idle babblings,

for they will increase to more ungodliness.

So tell your friends that say these things .... it is ungodly .

If an unclean word comes out of my mouth ...I ask God ...immediately to forgive me.

Absolutely! It's most unGodly. And that verse is what REALLY put it in perspective for me. My wife and I have both been working on it, with mixed results. But I think what your friends' problem is is that they are as you say, OF the world, and not IN it. They're not being the salt, and helping to preserve the world and flavor it. They're more than likely going along with a lot more social norms that are probably disturbing to those of us trying to walk closer to Christ...

I agree.

Changing is difficult. Especially when we are accustomed to a certain behavior for so long. But...with the Holy Spirit's help, it can be done...yahooey!! I spent years practicing witchcraft...it's been many years since I left that behind, but there are still days when I come pretty close to telling the Lord I'll see Him in a day or so, while I take care of business, haha!!! That's sounds so funny now that I say it. :)

King James Version

About swearing.....

or with any other oath.

About Cussing....

If an unclean word comes out of my mouth ...I ask God ...immediately to forgive me.

Amen sister!

King James Version

About swearing.....

or with any other oath.

About Cussing....

Wonderful!!! Thank you so much!! I did search on Biblegateway, but I didn't get all of them. :)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  131
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,188
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  8

profane words ( cussing) .... is the devils language .

This is my opinion...it is not in the bible. o.k.

profane words ( cussing) .... is the devils language .

This is my opinion...it is not in the bible. o.k.

I absolutely agree with you. It's unacceptable.