• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Jesus Christ Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

Well, again I must say "Ye do greatly err, because ye know not the Scriptures, neither the power of God." Look at Matthew's, and Luke's longer accounts of the same event. In the Matthean and Lucan pericopes, Jesus continues His speach, and clearly states that these men ARE (present tense, NOT FUTURE TENSE) ALIVE. This is a vitally important detail, for the Saducees not only denied the resurrection, but spirit, soul, and angels as well. The arguments between the early Pharisees and Saducean Rabbis can be found in the Talmud, and the Saducees' argument followed the lines that once the 'life' was gone out of the body--which was undeniable when the person had been dead for 'three days'--then no getting life back was possible, for 'life' itself was gone.

What the genius of our Lord's proof does, is to answer first their claim that 'life' itself had ceased for these deceased individuals. He is clearly NOT just talking about resurrection, but shutting down the whole Saducean heresy AT ITS SOURCE. If they ARE indeed still living, then 'life itself' is NOT EXTINGUISHED for them.

Only be denying the clear meaning of the words of Jesus can a person obstreporously cling to this heresy.

With a blessing,

Leonard, a sinner

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,230
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/03/1952

Jesus Christ Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

Well, again I must say "Ye do greatly err, because ye know not the Scriptures, neither the power of God."  Look at Matthew's, and Luke's longer accounts of the same event.  In the Matthean and Lucan pericopes, Jesus continues His speach, and clearly states that these men ARE (present tense, NOT FUTURE TENSE) ALIVE.  This is a vitally important detail, for the Saducees not only denied the resurrection, but spirit, soul, and angels as well.  The arguments between the early Pharisees and Saducean Rabbis can be found in the Talmud, and the Saducees' argument followed the lines that once the 'life' was gone out of the body--which was undeniable when the person had been dead for 'three days'--then no getting life back was possible, for 'life' itself was gone.

What the genius of our Lord's proof does, is to answer first their claim that 'life' itself had ceased for these deceased individuals.  He is clearly NOT just talking about resurrection, but shutting down the whole Saducean heresy AT ITS SOURCE.  If they ARE indeed still living, then 'life itself' is NOT EXTINGUISHED for them. 

Only be denying the clear meaning of the words of Jesus can a person obstreporously cling to this heresy.

With a blessing,

Leonard, a sinner

Hi Leonard,

Their whole arguement is based on their definition of death. Without defining "death" there can be no premise to discuss this topic. I agree with you.

LT

• Group:  Soapbox - Members
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Content Count:  962
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  02/11/1932

To continue this thought one scripture, book, or phase at a time let

Here Jesus affirms that centuries after their deaths, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob are all STILL LIVING. Were their bodies alive? Certainly not, their tombs were in known places and could be inspected. Their bodies were quite dead.

So where was CHRIST after he was crucified and before HE was resurected? since HE also says I have not yet assended to my FATHER in heaven?

Joh 20:17

Jesus said to her, "Do not cling to Me, for I have not yet ascended to My Father; but go to My brethren and say to them, 'I am ascending to My Father and your Father, and to My God and your God.' "

Now CHRIST said to daniel. You will rise to your inheratance at the end of the days.

Therefor all who are the LORD'S are alive in HIM. Though they sleep they will rise again.

Well, again I must say "Ye do greatly err, because ye know not the Scriptures, neither the power of God."

In CHRIST JESUS :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Content Count:  2,230
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  05/03/1952

To all,

If this is to become a backslaping, patting one another, thread, nothing will be accomplished.

I have asked a question of those that believe in "soul sleep." Would you please define "DEATH"?

I would add at this point, Please define SOUL & SPIRIT, AND DISTINGUISH BETWEEN THE TWO IF THERE IS ANY DISTINCTION.

I really cannot discuss this with you if you will not define your terms.

LT

LarryT, I suppose you wish to have a definition of Soul, Spirit and Death as you have some argument you wish to put forth showing that the normal definitions are not correct or that the idea of

In my previous post we saw how Peter exhorts us to look for the appearing of Christ in 1 Pet. 13

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  162
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

larryt,quote:

Please define SOUL & SPIRIT, AND DISTINGUISH BETWEEN THE TWO IF THERE IS ANY DISTINCTION.

As a response ot your question ,which is an important one i n this discussion, I think, this is my reflection . . .

It is confusing because it is true the Bible does use the words 'soul' and 'spirit' interchangeably -

But, I see the human being ' as being composed of (1)the body,(2) the soul

( which is the cognitive , emotions, & the personality) and (3) the spirit ( Paul and Peter refer to this as the "inner man" or the "spirit man")

The way I understand it is that when we 'die' our it is our body that dies - and I suppose there is a medical definition for 'death'. It is the spirit which goes to be with the Lord.

anyway perhaps this is a bit limited . . . . :wub:

Edited by sachi