Can Do (Phil 4:13)

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,194
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0

So...does that mean that no one reads Shakespeare because he might have been gay? Or Walt Whitman? Should we not read Dylan Thomas because he was a drunk/pub-crawler? If we discounted everything having to do with this described "debauchery" then we've lost everything from Elton John to Edgar Allen Poe. No Chaucer (sex, drunkenness, homosexuality), no Marquez (incest, "witchcraft," promiscuity)...and God knows, no Grateful Dead. I mean, really.

I guess now would be the time to mention that I don't QUITE put homosexuality in the same category as heroin usage.

PS: Happy post #420, me!

And losing these things would hurt the world in what way??

Ever wonder why the world is so messed up today? One reason is because we get so accustomed to sin that it seems cool or intellectual.

I see no reason to glorify sin as needed any longer.

PS: Happy 420?? Hmmmm.....want to explain why THAT number is so special?? :emot-highfive::36:

t.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

these is the same mindset as that of the Taliban.

Edited by amor

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

these is the same mindset as that of the Taliban.

:D

You mean the same Taliban I just spent 9 months fighting?

Thanks for the insult, but the difference is, this is just my opinion and people can feel free to do what ever they want. I'll take up arms to defend that. In fact, already did.

The Taliban would simply wipe you or me out for what we are writing now. God gives us the free will to either buy that garbage (meaning the book in question at the top of the thread) or to not buy it. I choose not to.

That's all. No need to read into my response any more than that.

Cozy on up to the worlds most attractive sins, but Iv'e left it behind. I soaked it up for 34 years and the only thing good about it is the ability to see through it now.

Try to reason to yourself that it's ok, that's your choice. Mine too, until I was led away from it.

Have a good day! :blink:

t.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  1,234
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Birthday:  04/10/1987

I repeat my earlier question again...if one says that a "good Christian" should avoid all sinful literature, doesn't that then stifle the brains God gave us? Imagine what the world would be without literature, Shakespeare, Hemingway, Socrates...besides, often the things immediately tagged as "sinful" are there to teach us something about the story and/or characters, like the incest in One Hundred Years of Solitude. For example.

As for my number reference...you spend enough time in high school, you begin to react every time those numbers pop up. Sigh. It just becomes habit after a while, I guess.

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  2,063
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  1

This is just my opinion. You don't have to accept it if you dislike it. DISCLAIMER: I am not a christian.

besides, often the things immediately tagged as "sinful" are there to teach us something about the story and/or characters, like the incest in One Hundred Years of Solitude. For example

There are other examples of incest...in fact, right in the bible...didn't Lot's daughters lay with Lot after they got him drunk? I think that qualifies as sin. I wonder how those that would ban books based on sin content rationalize the same sentiment toward the bible? Hmmm.

Regards,

UndecidedFrog

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  965
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  05/28/1979

I repeat my earlier question again...if one says that a "good Christian" should avoid all sinful literature, doesn't that then stifle the brains God gave us? Imagine what the world would be without literature, Shakespeare, Hemingway, Socrates...besides, often the things immediately tagged as "sinful" are there to teach us something about the story and/or characters, like the incest in One Hundred Years of Solitude. For example.

As for my number reference...you spend enough time in high school, you begin to react every time those numbers pop up. Sigh. It just becomes habit after a while, I guess.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No- avoiding things like that does not stifle the brain. The long and short of it is that is either glorifies God or is doesn't. I used to love Shakespeare, Poe, philosophy, etc- but I chose to "stimulate" my brain reading the Bible, or books on Christian living- my personal preference.

1 John 2:15-16

Stop loving this evil world and all that it offers you, for when you love the world, you show that you do not have the love of the Father in you. For the world offers only the lust for physical pleasure, the lust for everything we see, and pride in our possessions. These are not from the Father. They are from this evil world.

• Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

GBG, I agree with you when it comes to the great pieces that are created to make us thinks about the things in life. I also agree that there are many wonderful examples of fiction and art that are created for nothing more than our innocent pleasure, but Personally, I draw the line on things with little hidden agendas.

There comes a time when we have to look at the intent.

It doesn't mean I'm into book burnings or anything like that, but I choose not to allow the agenda stuff into my life any more, if I can help it.

My kids are better off for it.

Thanks,

t.

• Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,782
  • Content Per Day:  0.36

The abomination of homosexuality, whether literature of film, etc, certainly deserves its own special place: in the proverbial waste-basket category with all due haste. Any individual who will not respect & obey the commandments of Jesus Christ will not have anything of holy substance to contribute to my new life as a believing Christian. The Apostle Paul hit it right on its head in Philippians 4:8,9 - which surely completely rules out the jaundiced practice of homosexuality.

2 Corinthians 5:17 is VERY GOOD!

Thank You, Jesus!

http://arthurdurnan.freeyellow.com

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  2,194
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

The abomination of homosexuality, whether literature of film, etc, certainly deserves its own special place: in the proverbial waste-basket category with all due haste. Any individual who will not respect & obey the commandments of Jesus Christ will not have anything of holy substance to contribute to my new life as a believing Christian. The Apostle Paul hit it right on its head in Philippians 4:8,9 - which surely completely rules out the jaundiced practice of homosexuality.

Thank You, Jesus!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just the waste-bin, why not the bonfire? Do you feel the same way asbout books and films that deal with the issue of divorce, or ones that glorify war.

Thank You, Jesus!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just the waste-bin, why not the bonfire? Do you feel the same way asbout books and films that deal with the issue of divorce, or ones that glorify war.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank You, Jesus!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>