• Days Won:  58

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19

If you read the article fully, you would see that it wasnt just about getting into medical school, it was about how it was not cost effective for them to spend so much for medical school only to be a primary care doctor and make very little. That it doesnt begin to pay back their debt because the reimbursements are so poor for primary care doctors. Especially when tort reform for malpractice was never addressed with obamacare.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19

Charging more wont make any difference if there is a shortage.

Yep, but if there are fewer doctors, the ones who are left can charge more. That's the law of supply and demand.

Not with Obamacare, which at some point will result in a single payer system, i.e. the government. Medicare is a current example where patients often have problems finding a new doctor, partly because of the small amount that Medicare pays, so they have to limit their practices to a percentage of Medicare folks.

Like Jade said, if a medical student has little hope of paying off their debt, they are going to choose a different field. I would do the same if I were considering medical school right now.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  438
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,947
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  04/18/1949

We must also remember that doctors are not YET owned and ordered around by the government like slaves. This is one reason why some doctors are already denying service to certain categories of patients. They expect to be paid, and the government isn't doing very well. This should not be shocking since our government doesn't even have a budget, and they're borrowing much of what they're paying. We should know that doctors have at least average intelligence and know what direction things are going in.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  438
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,947
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  04/18/1949

Many businesses can't handle the costs, so they have started trimming their ships for hard times ahead. People are losing their jobs or having it changed to part time (below 30 hours). No, I don't have hard numbers or facts, but you'll be hearing about it soon from your friends and relatives.

We'll see. So far this is all speculation. We don't know if we will end up on a single payer system or not. But I think that since there is a mandate, a single payer would make sense.

There shouldn't be a mandate at all, but since they got away with it now it starts hurting everyone. This matters very much to me because I can't live on 29 hours a week. I'd be unable to keep my apartment and would therefore be homeless. I did my time with that before and I don't wish to go backward.

If we're going to have a mandate and a single payer system, then let's at least have a go at something like the Aussies have. If you buy your own health insurance, you don't pay tax for the public health care system. That would never happen in the US because of the insurance companies.