• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

Joseph it seems to me as if somehow you'd like someone to say that the canon of Scripture isn't closed? Or am I reading this thread wrong...

I agree there is a difference between illumination and {new} revelation.

God bless,

GE

No, I just think the verses being used were not being used right. There is a lot to scripture and didn't know what I was missing. For so many to believe the canon is closed, there has to be a reason. Just trying to find out what that it is. I don't think I should accept something just because someone, even a lot of someone says something, but have it shown to me in the word. As I said, also I had got caught up in how others were using the verses, and was getting fustrated, because that just didn't make sense to me. I will say that as this has progressed, I'm becoming more and more convinced that it's not in the bible that God said something like " the canon is closed" or "there shall be no more revelation". A personal quirk of mine is to challange things thought to be tradition. Are they truly what the bible says, or is it what we want it to say. I was fooled once and got very damaged by tradition. I refuse to just accept it as gospel fact because it's popular.

I don't think that Revelation was meant to be understood as the last word of God spoken, but it is the last of our "revelation" of God in the canon. God still speaks; He speaks loud and clear, but it is not revelatory. He speaks to us through the word and through the Holy Spirit.

OK, but that still begs the question -

How do we know that it is the the last of our "revelation" of God in the canon?

If someone had not taught this to you, would you have come to this conclusion on your own from reading and studying the Bible?

I like this question by nebula. This is one of the questions I've been trying to ask and couldn't find the words. Isn't it important to challenage everything we may have been taught by tradition and man with the word of God. Openly and honestly seeking his truth.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

The "canon" consists of history, poetry, and teaching, not just prophecy. How does Revelation seal such things as well?

But all of those things were revelatory about God as well. God reveals Himself in all of those different genres. And there is so much cross-fertilization between them that we can see their unity in how they portray God. I am not sure that the book of Revelation was written by John with the intent or knowledge that it would be last book of the canon. In fact, if I am not mistaken, the Gospel of John was written after Revelation, but don't quote me on that, LOL.

I have friends on Facebook testifying of God revealing Himself to them through their circumstances. How is that different?

OK, but canonical books were written after Jesus left the earth. What makes Revelation the "end" of all this is to be revealed?

When you read Revelation, don't you get a sense of finality?

No.

I mean it is the end of our current age and the fullness of the eternal Kingdom. The final and full realization of God's plan. It makes the perfect ending to the canon. Wouldn't it be strange if the book of Revelation ended up being included in the general epistles and the Bible ended with something like Philemon or James?

But if John wrote his Gospel after Revelation, then all your argument shows is literary manipulation of ordering the books - not a completion of God revealing Himself.

Goodness, there are things about Jesus I would like to know that are not written in the Canon - like His body language and countenance, how He dealt with life's annoying little inconveniences and annoyances, what came out of His mouth when He did something like hitting His thumb with a hammer, etc.

I think we all would like to know some of those things. But without the canon, how would you set about demonstrating that the information was accurate? What standard would you erect to test information that is not in the Bible?

The NT "Canon" was based on agrement with the Jewish Scriptures (Torah, Tanuk(?), etc.) and then to each other.

So what disqualifies men under the anointing of the Holy Spirit penning words from being considered revelatory words of the Lord, same as when the prophets wrote and the Apostles wrote?

Isn't it important to challenage everything we may have been taught by tradition and man with the word of God. Openly and honestly seeking his truth.

Right, that's the question that your questions brought out of me -

Is the "closed Canon" concept a tradition of man, or inspired revelation of the Holy Spirit?

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

Isn't it important to challenage everything we may have been taught by tradition and man with the word of God. Openly and honestly seeking his truth.

Is the "closed Canon" concept a tradition of man, or inspired revelation of the Holy Spirit?

Excellent question Nebula. I would say that God isnpired the respective council of Believers to determine what was His Word and what wasn't.

God bless,

GE

Excellent question Nebula. I would say that God isnpired the respective council of Believers to determine what was His Word and what wasn't.

God bless,

GE

OK, but that doesn't answer the "closed" aspect.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

Do you still think you would like me to add something here? I wanted to this am, but lost the opportunity but I see alot has

gone on since then

I'm thinking maybe you are good to go with all the other responses?

Do you still think you would like me to add something here? I wanted to this am, but lost the opportunity but I see alot has

gone on since then

I'm thinking maybe you are good to go with all the other responses?

Yes, I'm ok now. but thank you for taking the time to get back to me.

I would say that God isnpired the respective council of Believers to determine what was His Word and what wasn't.

The word of God is what everything must line up to.

SO,

If the Bible (GOD) doesn't say the canon is closed,

If the Bible (GOD) doesn't say no more new revelation.

If the Bible is not the source of this belief, then what is the source?

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

Yup..Glad you got it sorted out. :)