• Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

10 ‘Jewish Facts’ About the New Testament

11:30AM EST 1/25/2013 Ron Cantor/Messiah's Mandate

As a new believer in Yeshua (Jesus), I assumed I was no longer Jewish—that believing in this Jewish man had nothing in common with Jewishness. However after reading the New Testament, I was shocked to find out that it was a Jewish book, telling a Jewish story in Israel about Jewish people. Check out these 10 facts:

Read here

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10

I appreciate what he had to say about the names of Mary, James, and Paul.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

I also appreciated what he had to say...I was part of a Messianic congregation at one point and I loved it

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  989
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  01/13/1959

good, enlightening article... thanks for sharing it Nebula

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Interesting read, thank for sharing Nebula. Christianity is very Jewish at its roots for sure as salvation is of the Jews. Abraham was a Hebrew, one from beyond, which actually speaks of the fact that he was born again into the family of God as I understand it. All the names, Hebrew, Jew (Judah), Israelite, Christian etc, speak of that which is born into the family of God but one is not one unless their insides match their outsides. You must be born again regardless of placement in natural family/religious affiliation through birth.

One can study the beauty of ancient Hebrew, Israelite or Jewish heritage and get a glimpse of what God has been teaching people through symbolism and such but every last precept was only given unto man to bring him unto Christ ultimately. In the end, it is Christ in us, the hope of glory.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  24
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Point #2 in the article is an example of what bugs me about some of these "NT is Jewish" articles:

2. His mother’s name was not Mary or even Maria. She was not Catholic! Miriam is the same name as the sister of Moses. It is a Jewish name, and that was her name. She was an Israelite who lived long before the Vatican even existed.

I'm not sure what the point is, since the NT was written in Greek, not Hebrew or Aramaic. In the Greek, her name appears as Maria (or some form of the noun), so his is argument is with the inspired Greek text, not with the Catholic Church. Today, the name occurs in dozens of languages as some form of Maria/Marie.

He's technically right, in point #6, that "James" is not the name of the fellow who wrote the epistle, as even the Greek has Iakwbos. But again, what's the point? "James" is simply the anglicized form of Jacob, just as Seamus is the Irish form, and Giacomo the Italian form.

• Followers:  10

Point #2 in the article is an example of what bugs me about some of these "NT is Jewish" articles:

2. His mother’s name was not Mary or even Maria. She was not Catholic! Miriam is the same name as the sister of Moses. It is a Jewish name, and that was her name. She was an Israelite who lived long before the Vatican even existed.

I'm not sure what the point is, since the NT was written in Greek, not Hebrew or Aramaic. In the Greek, her name appears as Maria (or some form of the noun), so his is argument is with the inspired Greek text, not with the Catholic Church. Today, the name occurs in dozens of languages as some form of Maria/Marie.

He's technically right, in point #6, that "James" is not the name of the fellow who wrote the epistle, as even the Greek has Iakwbos. But again, what's the point? "James" is simply the anglicized form of Jacob, just as Seamus is the Irish form, and Giacomo the Italian form.

The point is perception.

Mary, as we call her, was a Jew with a Jewish name. How many portrayals of her appear as a Jewish woman?

The same for James. We forget that every single one of the Apostles and disciples and first followers of Jesus were Jews

Point #2 in the article is an example of what bugs me about some of these "NT is Jewish" articles....

The point is perception.

Mary, as we call her, was a Jew with a Jewish name. How many portrayals of her appear as a Jewish woman?

The same for James. We forget that every single one of the Apostles and disciples and first followers of Jesus were Jews

:thumbsup:

~

And Our LORD And Our God Is Forever A Jew

Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us. Matthew 1:23

So Why The Rush By So Many In The Western "Church" To Burn His Israel?

I will also gather all nations, and will bring them down into the valley of Jehoshaphat, and will plead with them there for my people and for my heritage Israel, whom they have scattered among the nations, and parted my land. Joel 3:2

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  24
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Maybe it's frustrating to me because I've never had the perception that Jesus, Mary, or the Apostles were not Jews. Not the case with some, apparently, so I'll leave this alone and let others be blessed by it! :)