• Content Count:  70
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

A worthy work in the church for unity.

A BRIEF OVERVIEW OF CHURCH RECOVERY

Revival Of Church Truth

The Watch Of God Over His Saints To Preserve Them And His Word

By R. L. DeWitt

The Church, as established in the beginning (Acts 2:41-42) grew and spread throughout the land, and the Apostles warned the saints as shown in the Epistles, of the dangers and need to “hold fast” to the Word ministered to them (Acts 20:28-30). They knew of the troubles and failures to come against the saints and the Church.

We can see church condition after the apostolic time to have descended into darkness, and a scattering of believers in Christ for years into homes and secret places; and that for faithfulness and fellowship, to avoid persecution and death by the organized hierarchy of the Roman Catholic Religion of Popery. The RCR predominated in the government with religious leaders, who mixed Judaism with the Christian testimony and their own ordinances, and controlled all religious thought by force throughout the Middle Ages --- from about 500 A.D. to the 1500's. This is all a matter of historical record (though RC teachers say they reformed).

Most people were illiterate at this time, and then a few educated priests from the RCR studied the Holy Scriptures, and began to teach that the RCR was in error ---and then had to run for their lives. This resulted in the religious police seeking them out and much persecution (see Foxe's Book Of Martyrs). One of the principal voices among the disenchanted priests was Martin Luther, who was called of God and bold to post his 95-word thesis on the door of a prominent church building, essentially stating to the Pope: "justification by faith", and not by religious works and rituals. This, as most Christians know today, brought on the Protestant Reformation movement.

The believers who rallied to this opening of the Word of God became the various major denominations we know today as independent and following their own interpretations. The Word was hand written until printing was established in the 1500’s and it began to circulate. Numerous denominated sects rose up following the religious practices they had learned in one thousand years of oppression under the RCR; yet, thankfully the gospel message was embraced.

In the early 1800's after the gospel message was thriving, God began to recover church truth as many saints were moved to leave the established and organized religious denominations with their hierarchy, rituals, and innovations. That is when the so-called "brethren movement" was formed (1827 AD) with such believers as J. N. Darby, J. G. Bellett, G. V. Wigram, W. Kelly, C. H. Mackintosh, who held firmly to the Scripture and expression of the truth of "one body in Christ". Such faith was not understood and in practice anywhere in the world.

That good recovery of church truth was a precious work of God in AD 1827, even as the revival of the gospel truth in circa 1500. As the gospel was revived in a public way through a number of faithful saints in a reformation effort to the religious world, God later moved again to also recover church truth. God's way had been lost after the apostolic period, with careless regard for the truth by those who had the responsibility to hold it and maintain it (note Acts 20:27-30). The whole church suffered by this neglect of unfaithful men.

Most believers today refer to their own local Christian fellowship by various names to distinguish themselves from other believers in Christ, which is a denial of the truth of the "one body" (Rom.12 and 1 Cor.12; etc.). It is not in accord with church fundamentals. That “brethren movement” soon had a loose and open Christian fellowship separate from them and take an “Open Brethren” name, when they stood apart from that universal testimony of 1827 in Ireland and then England, and they are fairly popular in the world; but thankfully the original testimony continued in simplicity and holding firmly to the Word, though a so-called “Exclusive Brethren” group also separated and formed later. Sectarianism is always with us.

Some of us have continued to withstand Satan’s work of divisions and uphold that intent of God for the universal Church, without a name or titles, and keep the true testimony as in Acts 2 and the Epistles. One can read some of the history around this movement , which does not take any name nor recognize organization not given in the Word of God, by visiting the web site at biblecounsel.homestead.com. It speaks of the need for a sound scriptural fellowship, recognizing the priesthood of all believers in love in the world as God intended for “unity of the faith”. Serious seekers may read more on this fellowship and the history by contacting Bible Truth Publishers in Addison, IL. (www.bibletruthpublishers.com) –RLD: CH04

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Um, do you have a question or a person view you walked away with on this?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00

A personal view is that I appreciate "unity of the faith", as I said (and did God), which can only mean holding only to God's Word for the Christain faith; and professing Christians need to bow to the Word of God, instead of continuing sectarianism by holding to man's innovations and the many new sects every year.

There is obviously an increasing move away from God's Word in the world to the preferences of religious man. I am thankful for those who also appreciate the need to be faithful to that which was given to us. God's Word will be opened in the judgment (Rev. 20:12), and the religious reasoning of men will not be regarded. I think the paper I shared is helpful.

Edited by Seriousseeker

A personal view is that I appreciate "unity of the faith", as I said (and did God), which can only mean holding only to God's Word for the Christain faith; and professing Christians need to bow to the Word of God, instead of continuing sectarianism by holding to man's innovations and the many new sects every year

I agree that His word is the final authority. Yet, since i cannot read minds, can you give us your examples of what you believe the following are? "sectarianism by holding to man's innovations and the many new sects every year"

There is obviously an increasing move away from God's Word in the world to the preferences of religious man. I am thankful for those who also appreciate the need to be faithful to that which was given to us. God's Word will be opened in the judgment (Rev. 20:12), and the religious reasoning of men will not be regarded. I think the paper I shared is helpful.

Prophecy tells us that there will be a falling away, so this is expected. Can you clarify to me what you see as some "preferences of religious man"? I take it that you believe that the statement of "books were opened" to mean that you believe one of the books will be the bible?

I just took the time to read some of the site you offered, biblecounsel.homestead.com, and found a lot of it biblical, but their silence on how the Holy Spirit sets up church is a bit off. I saw no reference to what Paul said in 1 Corinthians 12. Does your group believe in the gifts and offices the Holy Spirit sets up?

There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all. But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit
of all:
for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit, to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another
different
kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.

and ...

Now you are the body of Christ, and members individually. And God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, varieties of tongues.
Are
all apostles?
Are
all prophets?
Are
all teachers?
Are
all workers of miracles? Do all have gifts of healings? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? But earnestly desire the best gifts. And yet I show you a more excellent way.

I also find it strange that the site speaks how we should follow scripture, the Word of God, and not man, but quotes a lot of mans words.

Your skepticism is understandable when one has never known of a truly scriptural church gathering ---which is a rare fellowship in the world (and nothing is said there about perfection of individuals). Questions may be asked at the biblecounsel site for more understanding if one is a sincere seeker, and I also recommend contact with Bible Truth Publishers in Addison, IL. It holds that ALL various innovations and reasoning is perverting or at least disallowing the pre-eminence of God's Word. Scripture must be our only authority for God's ways, I believe.

I see the fellowship shown at the BC site to appreciate spiritual gifts, as you wondered, though not some of the ideas people promote about them. As to "man's words", as you say, this fellowship in the world values agreement that has been shown by esteemed Bible teachers down through history and by continued readings today to confirm and know what is true. A Godly unity has continued therein for over 180 years from the revival ---as God intends. It goes on without much interest in christendom and is not a popular pathway. Those who want the simplicity of the Christian path as given in the Bible, draw near and seek to be with those few who depend on God.

I hope this answers some of your questions and concerns. I don't claim to know it all, but much appreciate this recovery of Church truth. You may PM me if you wish. Look up always!

Your skepticism is understandable when one has never known of a truly scriptural church gathering ---which is a rare fellowship in the world (and nothing is said there about perfection of individuals). Questions may be asked at the biblecounsel site for more understanding if one is a sincere seeker, and I also recommend contact with Bible Truth Publishers in Addison, IL. It holds that ALL various innovations and reasoning is perverting or at least disallowing the pre-eminence of God's Word. Scripture must be our only authority for God's ways, I believe.

You start your reply with an assumption. Since you know nothing about me, how is it you can say this?

I see the fellowship shown at the BC site to appreciate spiritual gifts, as you wondered, though not some of the ideas people promote about them.

As in ... ?

As to "man's words", as you say, this fellowship in the world values agreement that has been shown by esteemed Bible teachers down through history and by continued readings today to confirm and know what is true. A Godly unity has continued therein for over 180 years from the revival ---as God intends. It goes on without much interest in christendom and is not a popular pathway. Those who want the simplicity of the Christian path as given in the Bible, draw near and seek to be with those few who depend on God.

Do you see your organization as the only organization that holds to the value of the Word of God? Do you believe that anyone who goes to any church as not following Gods word; therefore, not following God?

I hope this answers some of your questions and concerns. I don't claim to know it all, but much appreciate this recovery of Church truth. You may PM me if you wish. Look up always!

Actually, you have answered very little here. You just redirect me to their site, avoiding answering yourself. This creates another question as to how much of this topic you can, or will answer. As for PMing, you brought this to the public, made comments that create questions, so it is best to keep this in public view for all to see your answers. If you are unprepared to answer questions, please say so. I don't want to waste your time, or the time of anyone else.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

What recovery, Seriousseeker, we have the Bible, and it has been around for centuries.

"recovery of Church truth" invokes something in my mind, are you in "The Local Church" cult (actual title), I am not accusing you of anything, I don't know, but I do know that the phrase "the Lord's recovery is prevalent in the movement founded by Witness Lee. Please do not be offended I am just trying to understand you more.

"The Local Church" believe that the text "they called upon the Lord" quite literal and verbally, they use vain repetition and say Lord Jesus over and over again and they say they are calling upon the name of the Lord

Welcome to the board, Seriousseeker.

• 4 weeks later...

It would be better if such inquiries of me were directed to the BibleCounsel site, which can respond fully. I simply shared a ministry I find to be very much in accord with the "unity of the Faith" God enjoins us. Rather than defend traditional sectarianism, readers here should seek answers and understanding from the sources I introduced.

As to the thought about the Nee-Lee Movement, I understand it as just another innovation of men to form a sect. It reportedly came out of the so-called Raven movement (a cult that separated from that revival of 1827 AD). The history shows it all. There are hundreds of sects and denominated systems in the world, which denies unity and promotes "schism" in the "one body of Chirst" ---Christians will have to answer for that.

Again, let sincere seekers go to the sources given, and compare that ministry with the Word of God. Our "...redemption draweth nigh", then we (true "born again" believers) will see the truth and whether we were obeying and honoring God, or just promoting religious sects to please self.

Since the OP will not give answers, this thread is closed.