• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

We are instructed be be as the Berean (Acts 17:10-11),

Acts 17 describes what the Bereans did and the results of those actions but where are we instructed to be like them? Isn't this an extra biblical assertion of application that is your own personal conviction and not a biblical command as you have presented it?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Acts 17 describes what the Bereans did and the results of those actions but where are we instructed to be like them? Isn't this an extra biblical assertion of application that is your own personal conviction and not a biblical command as you have presented it?

Perhaps "instructed" is a poor choice of words. "Set as an example" would of been better. What matters is the result of such an action.

If my usage of the word "instruct" has bothered you, please accept my apology.

Perhaps "instructed" is a poor choice of words. "Set as an example" would of been better. What matters is the result of such an action.

If my usage of the word "instruct" has bothered you, please accept my apology.

No problem Alan.

Looking Looking Looking

And the brethren immediately sent away Paul and Silas by night unto Berea: who coming thither went into the synagogue of the Jews. These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so. Acts 17:10-11

~

We are instructed to be as the Berean (Acts 17:10-11),

Instructions

And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God. Luke 4:4

Sure Enough

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. 2 Timothy 3:16-17

Instructions

And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God. Luke 4:4

Sure Enough

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. 2 Timothy 3:16-17

Great verses Joe! Let us continue in them as they are meant to be continued in.

1Jo 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Careful not to rely upon our ability to 'search the scriptures daily using our intellect', mistakenly thinking that we are truly understanding the truth that they present.

Nobels don't seem to stick, there is no epistle to the Bereans and not many noble who are called.

1Cr 1:26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, [are called]:

Those Bereans were more noble, that is too bad.

Act 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

Had they not got hung up on their intellect, they might have progressed quicker.

1Th 2:13 ¶ For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received [it] not [as] the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.

None the less, God is able to bring all who will, noble or not. :)

Holy Spirit Of The Living God

But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. John 14:26

Fall Afresh On Me

~

Careful not to rely upon our ability to 'search the scriptures daily using our intellect', mistakenly thinking that we are truly understanding the truth that they present....

Heart

Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. Psalms 119:11

Talk

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word Of God. Romans 10:17

God

Talk

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

And The Truth

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. John 14:6

The Food From Above

Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts. Jeremiah 15:16

~

Dear One, If The Book Is Closed To You

And the vision of all is become unto you as the words of a book that is sealed, which men deliver to one that is learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I cannot; for it is sealed: And the book is delivered to him that is not learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I am not learned. Isaiah 29:11-12

Ask

And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you. Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full. John 16:23-24

Believe And Be Blessed Beloved

Love, Joe

Instructions

Sure Enough

Great verses Joe! Let us continue in them as they are meant to be continued in.

1Jo 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Careful not to rely upon our ability to 'search the scriptures daily using our intellect', mistakenly thinking that we are truly understanding the truth that they present.

Why are you twisting scripture?

Nobels don't seem to stick, there is no epistle to the Bereans and not many noble who are called.

1Cr 1:26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, [are called]:

Noble can mean of an exalted moral or mental character or excellence. Paul is saying that their nobility to search the scripture daily is what differs them from the Thessalonians. The fact that they searched the scriptures to see if what they are being told is true or not is why many believed and were saved. How is this a bad thing?

Noble can mean of an exalted moral or mental character or excellence. Paul is saying that their nobility to search the scripture daily is what differs them from the Thessalonians. The fact that they searched the scriptures to see if what they are being told is true or not is why many believed and were saved. How is this a bad thing?

Luke is saying :) easy oversight.

The contrast is made between unbelieving Jews who persecuted them and the Berean's who did not accept what Paul said until they themselves studied it out for themselves. The latter is not necessarily a 'bad' thing but it is that which seems necessary among the 'nobles', and you can fit any definition you want to use for any word you want to use but you ought not accuse me of 'twisting scripture' because you choose to believe a definition of a word fits. The truth is simple. Those of noble intellect are of greater danger when it comes to the things of God. The intellect is a hindrance more than a help when it comes to understanding Gods truth.

What Joe describes in his post is not a Berean mentality but a love of the word of God and soaking oneself in it. He is spot on. The Berean's had the word, did not understand it, needed one to illuminate it for them, and then on top of everything would not believe it until they studied emphatically and finally gained the increase. Their intellect was actually a hindrance although they did eventually come to a knowledge of the truth and be saved. That directly contrasted with the believers of Thesolonica who simply received the word of God in truth as it is according to Paul who commended them for such.

I was a Berean. My intellect nearly destroyed me. Thank God that I finally came to a knowledge of the truth though.

You and I can simply agree to disagree and move on. That is, if your willing to do so.

Guest ninhao

The contrast is made between unbelieving Jews who persecuted them and the Berean's who did not accept what Paul said until they themselves studied it out for themselves. The latter is not necessarily a 'bad' thing but it is that which seems necessary among the 'nobles', and you can fit any definition you want to use for any word you want to use but you ought not accuse me of 'twisting scripture' because you choose to believe a definition of a word fits. The truth is simple. Those of noble intellect are of greater danger when it comes to the things of God. The intellect is a hindrance more than a help when it comes to understanding Gods truth.

What Joe describes in his post is not a Berean mentality but a love of the word of God and soaking oneself in it. He is spot on. The Berean's had the word, did not understand it, needed one to illuminate it for them, and then on top of everything would not believe it until they studied emphatically and finally gained the increase. Their intellect was actually a hindrance although they did eventually come to a knowledge of the truth and be saved. That directly contrasted with the believers of Thesolonica who simply received the word of God in truth as it is according to Paul who commended them for such.

I was a Berean. My intellect nearly destroyed me. Thank God that I finally came to a knowledge of the truth though.

You and I can simply agree to disagree and move on. That is, if your willing to do so.

Hello Gdemoss,

Act 17:11-12 KJV These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so. (12) Therefore many of them believed; also of honourable women which were Greeks, and of men, not a few.

It appears the Bereans were considered more noble because they "received the word with all readiness of mind" which contrasted with most of the Jews in Thessalonica. Many Berean Jews believed whereas only some Thessalonian did.

Act 17:1 KJV Now when they had passed through Amphipolis and Apollonia, they came to Thessalonica, where was a synagogue of the Jews:

Act 17:4 KJV And some of them believed, and consorted with Paul and Silas; and of the devout Greeks a great multitude, and of the chief women not a few.

Act 17:5 KJV But the Jews which believed not, moved with envy, took unto them certain lewd fellows of the baser sort, and gathered a company, and set all the city on an uproar, and assaulted the house of Jason, and sought to bring them out to the people.

The Berean Jews are portrayed as being more receptive to the Gospel.

Yes, Luke was writing about Paul and Silas told him or was reported to him.

Let's examine what was said. You put in single quotes the following " 'search the scriptures daily using our intellect' ". That is adding to scripture, or twisting it to make a point. It is not an accusation. just a fact of what you said, proof within itself. Yes, they used the mind God gave them to examine what Paul and Silas were preaching. This should be the example for all. The Holy Spirit works with us to correct our errors, but He does not remove our minds to do so. In fact, I would argue that he refines how we think. Their intellect did just the opposite of what you claim.

I see, you would rather take a man at his word then to go to the source to see if what they say is true or not. When someone trusts in their own understanding alone, they will be led astray. We need His spirit to guide us as we study His words. Perhaps you depended too much on your understand so that it was a downfall for you. That does not make doing what the Berean did wrong.

I won't push anyone to discuss a subject. To leave this conversation has to be your choice.