IGNORED

Judge Not?

GoldenEagle

Guest LadyC

GE, i think that while some christians are quick to pass judgment, and FREQUENTLY do so hypocritically, i know without a doubt that unbelievers are going to accuse christians of judging when that is not the case at all. it's not our place to judge an unbeliever's actions. but we don't have to! God already has... it's our place, rather, to share with them the way out of the penalty phase of the judgement they're already under... i.e. a life with Christ (now and eternally) vs. eternal damnation.

you said people don't care how much we know until they know how much we care. i think that's true in many instances. i also believe that the majority are so stubbornly attached to their sin that they're never going to believe how much we care, no matter how gently and lovingly we go about it.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  460
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/26/1990

I shared the article on this thread:

with a friend and he shared the following article with me... I'd like to get your thoughts.

What is the difference between disagreeing with an idea or concept and allowing a conversation to get ugly/hateful? You can tear down a false idea without tearing down a person IMO. The problem with disagreements is we often speak past the subject and attack the person disagreeing with us... Rather than taking time to listen and understand their perspective. Seeing them as another human being with a voice. Perhaps we try to silence them without seeking to understand them?

Your thoughts?

God bless,

GE

I agree that a good debate is one that does not break down into mudslinging but I do believe that person's personal convictions tell a lot about the person and if I should be around them. A person's personal convictions, though I might not tear them down vocally, does illustrate their personality and if it is very radical I could very well a very bad opinion about the person's personality. For example, in a very extreme case there are some debates that do go into whether child consent laws should be abolished and if pedophiles actually hurt children enough to hurt them. The fact that someone would debate such a thought and be placed on the side of the supporter of pedophiles would make it hard for me not to question the person's character. If that person had a strong conviction and openly supported the laws and truly believed pedophiles were born with "it" and needed to be treated like respectable members of society (there are people like this) I probably would truly question their character. I cannot understand such perspectives and I honestly don't really want to listen...their logic would make my head hurt.

Now if you are talking about politics then I agree that each side should be treated respectfully and perspectives should be taken into account. But if you go into social issues (abortion, prostitution/human trafficking and other weird areas) then I draw the law. They will still be seen as humans but I don't think I want to know their perspective.

I guess I was just thinking an open dialogue instead of talking points regarding politics for example. But I believe that this can be applied to all of life's issues.

Question for all: When talking to someone are we actually listening to what they have to say or are we simply formulating arguments in our heads and determining our next point?

People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care...

When we share the Gospel or discuss subjects are we concerned with the other person in the discussion or simply "doing our duty" to check off our list that either A) we shared our faith as the Bible commanded or B) we can check our good deed off our "to do" list for the day?

Food for thought.

God bless,

GE

Interesting. Due to anger and antagonism towards Christianity on my campus I generally do not talk about the Gospel unless the person is curious. I don't really think in terms of "doing a duty" or a "to do list" mostly because of that previous reason. If a person asks I will tell them in the most gentle way but my family believes that if the relationship is true the holy spirit will flow through you naturally. You won't have to say you follow Christ it will just be seen. I understand the "People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care" but generally I'm around people who don't care even if I do. I generally try to pick my battles wisely in spreading the Gospel because some are for God while others could be for me and don't get me started on the whole "Your shoving your beliefs down my throat" mantra...

• Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  153
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

IMO a disciple needs a discerning spirit which comes out of maturity. With a discerning spirit, you will know when to speak and to whom you should speak to.

If you take it upon yourself to work out of your flesh then you will be prone to casting your peals among the swine.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,245
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/11/1984

IMO a disciple needs a discerning spirit which comes out of maturity. With a discerning spirit, you will know when to speak and to whom you should speak to.

If you take it upon yourself to work out of your flesh then you will be prone to casting your peals among the swine.

True thing :thumbsup:

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  538
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  2

I understand the silencing part I think

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,245
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/11/1984

John the baptist and Jesus were not pronouncing judgement when they called people to repent, for the Kingdom of God is hand. In fact they were telling people to repent because that meant that the judgement was at hand. This is the gospel that the world needs to hear, but how many of us are brave enough to walk to streets and give this message?

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  142
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/17/1971

Golden Eagle,

Thank you for taking the time to post that! Now I got a blessing out of all on this thread and threads like this is important for its not just a study to me its a review of our very self we all are guilty of judging deep down I think its to be done righteously yet theres times we do judge wrongly as for the verse of the speck and plank I do agree there now I feel if Im doing wrong and a more mature christian dont correct me id feel like they didnt care at all.just me . but anyhow thank you brother for this and may God bless you!

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

GE, i think that while some christians are quick to pass judgment, and FREQUENTLY do so hypocritically, i know without a doubt that unbelievers are going to accuse christians of judging when that is not the case at all. it's not our place to judge an unbeliever's actions. but we don't have to! God already has... it's our place, rather, to share with them the way out of the penalty phase of the judgement they're already under... i.e. a life with Christ (now and eternally) vs. eternal damnation.

you said people don't care how much we know until they know how much we care. i think that's true in many instances. i also believe that the majority are so stubbornly attached to their sin that they're never going to believe how much we care, no matter how gently and lovingly we go about it.

I think you make valid points sister. :thumbsup:

I shared the article on this thread:

with a friend and he shared the following article with me... I'd like to get your thoughts.

What is the difference between disagreeing with an idea or concept and allowing a conversation to get ugly/hateful? You can tear down a false idea without tearing down a person IMO. The problem with disagreements is we often speak past the subject and attack the person disagreeing with us... Rather than taking time to listen and understand their perspective. Seeing them as another human being with a voice. Perhaps we try to silence them without seeking to understand them?

Your thoughts?

God bless,

GE

I agree that a good debate is one that does not break down into mudslinging but I do believe that person's personal convictions tell a lot about the person and if I should be around them. A person's personal convictions, though I might not tear them down vocally, does illustrate their personality and if it is very radical I could very well a very bad opinion about the person's personality. For example, in a very extreme case there are some debates that do go into whether child consent laws should be abolished and if pedophiles actually hurt children enough to hurt them. The fact that someone would debate such a thought and be placed on the side of the supporter of pedophiles would make it hard for me not to question the person's character. If that person had a strong conviction and openly supported the laws and truly believed pedophiles were born with "it" and needed to be treated like respectable members of society (there are people like this) I probably would truly question their character. I cannot understand such perspectives and I honestly don't really want to listen...their logic would make my head hurt.

Now if you are talking about politics then I agree that each side should be treated respectfully and perspectives should be taken into account. But if you go into social issues (abortion, prostitution/human trafficking and other weird areas) then I draw the law. They will still be seen as humans but I don't think I want to know their perspective.

I guess I was just thinking an open dialogue instead of talking points regarding politics for example. But I believe that this can be applied to all of life's issues.

Question for all: When talking to someone are we actually listening to what they have to say or are we simply formulating arguments in our heads and determining our next point?

People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care...

When we share the Gospel or discuss subjects are we concerned with the other person in the discussion or simply "doing our duty" to check off our list that either A) we shared our faith as the Bible commanded or B) we can check our good deed off our "to do" list for the day?

Food for thought.

God bless,

GE

Interesting. Due to anger and antagonism towards Christianity on my campus I generally do not talk about the Gospel unless the person is curious. I don't really think in terms of "doing a duty" or a "to do list" mostly because of that previous reason. If a person asks I will tell them in the most gentle way but my family believes that if the relationship is true the holy spirit will flow through you naturally. You won't have to say you follow Christ it will just be seen. I understand the "People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care" but generally I'm around people who don't care even if I do. I generally try to pick my battles wisely in spreading the Gospel because some are for God while others could be for me and don't get me started on the whole "Your shoving your beliefs down my throat" mantra...

There are actually none who are for God who are non-Believers. Either people love God or hate Him. There's really no half way around it. People are far from God. Yet there is hope in Christ. :thumbsup:

True thing :thumbsup:

Sometimes planting the seeds of the Gospel is just that. In fact I think the results are always up to God. How are we to know who will accept or who will reject Christ? How are we to determine those who are swine?