brontosaurus

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

I know this topic has come up before, but I am wanting to revisit the meaning of Grace again.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  438
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/07/1969

In a nutshell, it is God's favor.  His grace is available to all who will accept it.  His grace in us will be appreciated, thus we will live our lives for Him in gratitude.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  182
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  09/29/1977

Yes, I believe most people have a false notion of grace.

Most churches teach: grace - unmerited favor.  Or - getting good stuff we don't deserve from God.

This would put it in a similar category as "Mercy."

But that is incomplete, or at least, not specific enough:

Better definition: Grace - the POWER and DESIRE to do God's will.  It is the active force that works in our lives.  "...for it is God who WORKS in you to WILL and to ACT according to his good purpose." - Philippians 2:13

Look at every reference Paul makes to Grace and you will find that the second definition works better than the first.

Grace is given to the humble.  "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble." - James 4:6

Grace is the DESIRE - which overcomes the natural desires of the flesh...

Grace is the POWER - the supernatural rush of the Holy Spirit that quickens our senses and our abilities whenever we set our heart to do what is right.

Grace is actually the opposite of legalism.  Legalism is saying, "We HAVE to do what is right.  We HAVE to!!!"

Grace is that amazing conquering thought: "Oh my goodness!  I WANT to do what is right!  I can't believe it!  I truly WANT to do what is right more than what is evil."

That is why we are commanded to "Grow in grace" - 2 Peter 3:18

Grace is given every time we are challenged or tempted.  

"'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." - 2 Corinthians 12:19

"No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it." - 1 Corinthians 10:13

Every time grace is given, we have a choice to either use it or reject it.  

"See to it that no one MISSES the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many." - Hebrews 12:15  

If we use grace for every challenge we face, we will multiply the grace in our lives.

If we reject it, we begin to become bitter.

If you WANT to do what is right where you didn't before

and you are ABLE to do what is right where you couldn't before

You are experiencing grace...

Amen Bronto,

That is also the teaching I received from the Scriptures as well.

encouraging, Suzanne!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  438
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  12/07/1969

tsth, I was just simply answering the question that you originally asked.  That question was what was the definition of grace.  I realize that grace is far more than a simple definition, but the original question was what is the definition.  My comments after that Bible dictionary definition were additives to the dictionary definition.

Dear Martyr,

I apologize, I went round about, instead of just getting to the point.  And I apologize to you, because in my mind, I knew the standard answer would be what you posted, and I personally would have posted the very same thing, from what I have been taught in church, I was just trying to get to the significance of the real meaning of "Grace", which I'm afraid many do not recognize.  Forgive me, for not being direct right from the start.  I have just been very led to speak of what the REALITY of Grace is, in the context of us not having to live in sin, if we give Jesus Lordship in our lives, and victory over the bondage of sin.

I hope you will forgive me in offending you, I did not intend to cause offense, I just was wanting to show the distinction in grace, as I am very encouraged by this Truth, and wanted to share it!

In His Love,

Suzanne

I think the important distinction to understand, is many people use "grace" synonomously with "mercy", using "We are not under law but under grace" to mean "We will not be punished for our actions but God will overlook them, or at least be flexible and understanding with us."  And I think that is a comfortable but erroneous way of seeing one's relationship with the Lord.

(by the way, this also is not directed at Martyr or anyone in particular)

Even mercy is not automatically granted, even to a redeemed Christian.  Not until we come to the definite point of sadness in seeing how terrible any sin is, and the complete emphatic decision to turn around and discontinue that sin, will God pour out His mercy on us.  Well, that's not entirely true, God's mercy often extends even farther, causing us to repent even when we don't want to...  but it always works to enable us to live a new life, not just overlook the old.

But "grace" is something entirely different.  Grace is the VEHICLE by which we will overcome sin supernaturally, to the point where new life replaces the old life and sin is no more...

It is the PUNCH in repentence, the ENERGY of the new life, the very "spiritual air" we breathe when we are walking in the ways of God and not the ways of our flesh...

• Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Birthday:  09/27/1968

I don't think a person can understand Grace until they see and recognize their own sin.  Say you had a fatal illness and didn't know it and there was a free cure you could just have if you asked...you wouldn't get it unless you knew you had the disease!

When you realize you are going to die and you recognize your own immortality and your need for a cure and that you can't cure yourself, you are SO THANKFUL for a cure it changes your whole life!  You wouldn't mistreat or misrepresent the person who gave you the cure, you would speak well of them, LOVE them!  You owe him your life!

True repentance, I believe, is the wall standing inbetween sin and grace, this is why grace is given to the humble, the proud don't know they need it. :il: