• Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Learning From Young Atheists: What Turned Them Off Christianity

By Eric Metaxas , Christian Post Contributor

July 2, 2013|10:10 am

<snip>

What drove Phil away wasn't the lure of secular materialism or even Christian moral teaching. And he was specifically upset when his church changed youth pastors.

Whereas his old youth pastor "knew the Bible" and made Phil "feel smart" about his faith even when he didn't have all the answers, the new youth pastor taught less and played more.

Phil's loss of faith coincided with his church's attempt to ingratiate itself to him instead of challenging him. According to Taunton, Phil's story "was on the whole typical of the stories we would hear from students across the country."

These kids had attended church but "the mission and message of their churches was vague," and manifested itself in offering "superficial answers to life's difficult questions." The ministers they respected were those "who took the Bible seriously," not those who sought to entertain them or be their "buddy."

Taunton also learned that, for many kids, their journey to unbelief was an emotional, not just an intellectual one.

Full report here

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,384
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/22/1996

Apart of what is said I 100% agree with. . this- - - > "youth pastor taught less and played more."

I attended a youth group for some time, but quit going as we did less faith based stuff and leaned more towards "having fun." I think having fun is great and all, but the main purpose is making a connection in the generation today. A godly connection- reaching our world through the hand of our Redeemer.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

I agree.

I have a great church and the youth leader there calls a spade a spade and in the end he gets a lot of respect and admiration from the tweens for it :).

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Looking back, when I first repented and received Christ I left the church my mom attended, for one across the street where I could get something out of the sermon. Their Jr. High group was at least disciplined, friendly and Bible centered. But I kept searching till i found one that taught the basics of Christianity and answered my questions. We now have individual mentoring for that age group for those who desire it, as well as a seperate discipleship class..