IGNORED

Are Christians the most tolerant religious group in the world?

wonby1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  58
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  1

Looking at the US, the majority of people in the US identify themselves as Christian, however, these same people keep electing representatives who oppose Christian social issues like abortion, gay marriage, and prayer in schools etc.  

Can we then say that Christians in the US are the most tolerant people on earth, or are they just indifferent?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,712
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

I would lean toward indifferent.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

I would hope we are not the most tolerant in the world :)

We ought to be very intolerant of a lot of things!

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  105
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/08/1952

Those Christians don't want other so-called Christians telling them what to think or how to behave - and since  the vast majority of Americans are seeing what the Republicans and their Tea Party masters are doing, more of them will vote Democratic.

Looking at the US, the majority of people in the US identify themselves as Christian, however, these same people keep electing representatives who oppose Christian social issues like abortion, gay marriage, and prayer in schools etc.  

Can we then say that Christians in the US are the most tolerant people on earth, or are they just indifferent?

If you mean that they are voting for representatives who support issues such as abortion, gay marriage and a jaundiced separation of church and state which, incidentally, only ever applies to Christianity and no other religion, then you are dealing with people who might identify themselves as "Christian," but have some difficulties.  They may be Liberal/Progressive Christians who don't really believe what the Bible has to say, or believe that, over time, that things that God says are a sin just "drop off" the list occasionally as society becomes more "advanced."  They might be new or not-well-grounded Christians who have had poor teachers and don't realize a Christian can't support these issues in any way.  They might be afraid of how their family, friends, or society in general will treat them if they stand up for biblical values instead of going along with what secular society believes.  They might not even know what being a Christian actually means.  There are a great many variables.   Not everyone who calls themselves a Christian is serious about their relationship with Christ.

The church that I attend have good teachings on the issue, but I just scratch my head when I see Obama bumper stickers on their collective cars.  Granted, there is a good racial mix so I'm assuming most are blacks.  It would seem that the issue of race is more important to them than abortion, even though they attend a church that condemns abortion as murder.  It would be like electing a black Nazi just because of their race.  There may be other reasons, such as not wanting to vote GOP, but then, no one is forcing you to vote for one or the other.

As for the marriage issue, I tend to take a different stand than most in the church.  For me, I don't understand why a secular government is even involved in marriage.  What does a secular government have to say about the sanctity of marriage?  It is laughable. 

Those Christians don't want other so-called Christians telling them what to think or how to behave - and since  the vast majority of Americans are seeing what the Republicans and their Tea Party masters are doing, more of them will vote Democratic.

You must disagree with the notion that abortion is murder.  It is the only conceivable reason how you could justify voting for the party of abortion, namely the DNC.

I lean towards them not being sincere followers of Christ at all, which is really different than being a "Christian."

If the church is no different than the world, then they are not the church of God.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

If the church is no different than the world, then they are not the church of God.

Right.

What good is salt when it has lost its saltiness?

I lean towards them not being sincere followers of Christ at all, which is really different than being a "Christian."

I would have to agree.  Most people now identify themselves as believing in God, but at odds with organized religion.  These enables them to do pretty much whatever seems right in their own eyes without any chastening from the Lord.

As for myself, I'm a firm believer that we all need chastened.

Jesus set up his church for a reason.

Edited by wonby1