The deteriorating perception of nudity

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

The style of clothing may change over time, but the definition of "modest" remains the same.

:amen:

In our hearts we all know what modesty means ...it's written on our hearts Rom 2:15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)

Yes,if a person is arguing the point that at woman should have her breasts hanging out of her top and most of her body showing in what she is wearing their is a serious problem.Especially if that person says that they are a Christian.Maybe that person can justify a woman dressing so inappropriately because they do not want the immodest way of dress to change.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,363
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  5

JDavis is right about this. I don't understand why people think that their notions of modesty as being so 'obvious' won't address basic questions, such as, women wearing outfits considered modest today would have been shunned as harlots 200 yrs ago. The obsession with outward attire bothers me insofar as people are making judgements about the intentions and the hearts of others based on what is culturally defined. Not everything is culturally defined,but this particular thing is.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  616
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  3

Genesis 3

21 Also for Adam and his wife the Lord God made tunics of skin, and clothed them.

we see God had no problem with them being nude before the fruit incident, so it was only them that now had the problem with their own nudity, I'm not for nudity at all I'm just saying before the fall nudity wasn't an issue

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

If a woman is dressing in a provocative manner not only is she not showing respect for God, she also is not showing respect for herself.

'dressing provocatively' suggests bad intent and foreknowledge she's doing that....:( honestly i don't think most girls and women are thinking that when they put on outfits you don't like

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,740
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  07/02/1964

The style of clothing may change over time, but the definition of "modest" remains the same.

:amen:

In our hearts we all know what modesty means ...it's written on our hearts Rom 2:15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)

and had you been born 200 years ago your heart would have known something different than it know now.

what is in your mind? what picture do you see when you think of how The Lord clothed Adam and Eve?

have to admit I never really thought about it before, but the most translations use the word coat or tunic.  A tunic is basically a pull over garment and I would not suspect they had sleeves as they were living in a tropical environment and would not have needed them

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,740
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  07/02/1964

If a woman is dressing in a provocative manner not only is she not showing respect for God, she also is not showing respect for herself.

what we call normal, say a woman wearing shorts that come down to the knees or so would have been seen as very provocative not all that long ago.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  438
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

Isaiah 20:2 At the same time spake the LORD by Isaiah the son of Amoz, saying, Go and loose the sackcloth from off thy loins, and put off thy shoe from thy foot. And he did so, walking naked and barefoot.

Can you imagine if the Lord commanded someone to do this today?  Also, this is a post-Eden time period wherin a prophet is commanded to minister naked.  Not even a loin cloth.  Therefore, nakedness in itself is not always a sin and is not always immodest.

Saul got his kit off too.

He stripped off his robes and also prophesied in Samuel's presence. He lay that way all that day and night. This is why people say, "Is Saul also among the prophets?" (1 Samuel 19:24)

And David,

2 Samuel 6:14: "And David danced before the LORD with all his might; and David was girded with a linen ephod.

An ephod, by the way, is pretty much a loin cloth.  

And here we have another naked prophet.

Micah 1:8"Because of this I will weep and wail; I will go about barefoot and naked"

The Bible does not seem to imply that all these were sinning in their immodesty.  Perhaps the deterioration in the perception of nudity is in that we perceive the nudity itself to be sinful rather than our reaction to it?

Isaiah 20:2 At the same time spake the LORD by Isaiah the son of Amoz, saying, Go and loose the sackcloth from off thy loins, and put off thy shoe from thy foot. And he did so, walking naked and barefoot.

Can you imagine if the Lord commanded someone to do this today?  Also, this is a post-Eden time period wherin a prophet is commanded to minister naked.  Not even a loin cloth.  Therefore, nakedness in itself is not always a sin and is not always immodest.

He stripped off his robes and also prophesied in Samuel's presence. He lay that way all that day and night. This is why people say, "Is Saul also among the prophets?" (1 Samuel 19:24)

And David,

2 Samuel 6:14: "And David danced before the LORD with all his might; and David was girded with a linen ephod.

Micah 1:8"Because of this I will weep and wail; I will go about barefoot and naked"

The Bible does not seem to imply that all these were sinning in their immodesty.  Perhaps the deterioration in the perception of nudity is in that we perceive the nudity itself to be sinful rather than our reaction to it?

These are, dare I say it (lol) provocative points. Interesting verses.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  438
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

And David,

These are, dare I say it (lol) provocative points. Interesting verses.

Thank you Alpha.   :mgcheerful:   I would also venture to point out that the raciest book on the Bible, the Song of Solomon, gives me the impression that finding the opposite sex attractive is not a sin.  I think that it becomes lust the moment we contemplate acting on that attraction inappropriately.  And it becomes immodesty the moment that we intend to stir thoughts of intercourse with us in others.  Clothing alone doesn't make such invitations - body language, and vocal tones can be far more suggestive.