• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  460
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/26/1990

Have any of you ever met a christian who does not believe in Hell? I just met one. I was kind of flabbergasted so I didn't ask why the person does not believe in Hell. Any of you have an idea why some Christians choose not to believe in Hell? As far as I know the Bible speaks of it frequently so yeah this one is a head-scratcher for me...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

Have any of you ever met a christian who does not believe in Hell? I just met one. I was kind of flabbergasted so I didn't ask why the person does not believe in Hell. Any of you have an idea why some Christians choose not to believe in Hell? As far as I know the Bible speaks of it frequently so yeah this one is a head-scratcher for me...

I've heard of something like this before. It went something like. Hell does not exist. Those who don't go to heaven immediately after they die go to purgatory. In purgatory they are punished for there unrepented sins until they have served there time. How long they spend in purgatory depends on the sins they committed. After there time in purgatory is up. then they go to heaven. In the end everyone will go to heaven. It's just a matter of how long some will spend in purgatory first.

If I remember correctly this is how it went. Unscriptural and completely against what I believe the bible teaches, but that's the closest I've ever heard of someone claiming to be a Christian and saying there is no hell.

Firestormx

Joseph

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  908
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,653
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

I found that the question and answers about hell must take the full make up of the human being into account to get answers.

Point being, a Christian who reads in the bible that a human being who gets tossed into the lake of fire and from that point on ceases to exist... is only considering part of the human make up.

The human body will perish in the flames of the lake of fire.

Malachi 4:3 (NIV)
3 Then you will trample down the wicked; they will be ashes under the soles of your feet on the day when I do these things,” says the LORD Almighty.

Body+Soul+Spirit+1101.jpg

The soul which acts as a buffer between the two realities of our make up (body and spirit) will cease to exist as is always the case when the spirit leaves the body.

The spirit of man is an interesting thing in that we tend to think of our spirits as totally alien to our physical form, yet the description of the spirits in Luke 16:19-31 (the rich man and Lazarus) are virtually physical (which could be anthropomorphic vernacular)...

Luke 16:19-31 (NIV)
19 “There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day.
20 At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores
21 and longing to eat what fell from the rich man’s table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.
22 “The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried.
23 In hell, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side.
24 So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.’
25 “But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony.
26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.’
27 “He answered, ‘Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my father’s house,
28 for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’
29 “Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.’
30 ”‘No, father Abraham,’ he said, ‘but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’
31 “He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’”

This is the holding chamber (sheol) before the cross of Christ and of course before being thrown into the lake of fire at the end of time:

Sheol2.jpg

After the cross the place called Abraham's Bosom is empty since the Spirit of Jesus took these spirits to heaven (Ephesians 4:8-10) And so shall any who die in Christ go in spirit to heaven (2 Corinthians 5:1-8) awaiting the resurrection of our bodies (Romans 8:23 / 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 / 1 Corinthians 15:51-58).

But notice all the physical aspects of these spirits. Sight, speech, hearing, thirst, pain, emotion, empathy...

The Bible speaks of spirits "dying" by being apart from God or in eternal hell (second death). But spirits do not actually die (or cease to exist). Note in 2 Corinthians 5 absent from the body present with the Lord. No "soul sleep" or unconsciousness or ceasing to exist.

People who make up their minds about whether or not they believe in hell must consider a broader scope than most do. The triune make up of the human being is one. The fact that spirits do not die and sin must be deal with some how:

Matthew 25:41 (NIV)
41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

Man was not the intended occupant when God created the lake of fire, but men who reject Jesus will go there.

God is dealing with sin in both realms through this realm.

Colossians 1:20 (NIV)
20 and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross.

Also Jesus warned about hell more than he promised heaven. If hell doesn't exist what's he warning about?

And again, the testimony of the rich man in Luke 16:19-31 is convincing enough.

Have any of you ever met a christian who does not believe in Hell? I just met one. I was kind of flabbergasted so I didn't ask why the person does not believe in Hell. Any of you have an idea why some Christians choose not to believe in Hell? As far as I know the Bible speaks of it frequently so yeah this one is a head-scratchier for me...

Christ Believes In Hell

And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire: Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched. For every one shall be salted with fire, and every sacrifice shall be salted with salt. Mark 9:47-49

Why Would A Christian Diss Christ

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  183
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

In my opinion, I don't think many people believe in hell because it isn't preached anymore.  When's the last time someone heard a good old fashioned fire and brimstone message?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  825
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  1

to observe the non-Christian counties in this generation,especial North Korea,you will know what means the hell,y do not have the experience living in this country,y can not understand