• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  701
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,511
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/18/1955

Do you think that prison time for spreading any ideology is persecution, or does prison time for spreading Christianity only count as persecution?

It's quite a straight forward question.  If there is anything subtle or passive aggressive in it then it was not my intention.  I think it was quite direct.  Does anybody want to answer it?  Is it so frightening to examine how we define persecution?

Define, or redefine?

Persecution is in the eye of the beholder.

In the former Yugoslavia, spreading any religious ideology was deemed to be illegal under secular law; therefore fines and imprisonment for evangelizing any ideology wasn’t seen as persecution per se.

Under the Ummah, spreading any non-Islamic ideology that results in "shaking the faith" of its Muslims is illegal under sharia (religious law) and punishable by fine, imprisonment or even summary execution. As these measures are all supported by the Quran and hadith, this also isn’t seen as persecution, but as justice, even when it’s extrajudicial.

BTW, as Worthy News is a Biblical forum, Christianity is often the focus, but not the exclusive subject, of the Worthy Features forum.

Does that surprise anyone?

Update:

Christian Tentatively Released from Moroccan Prison 

09/27/2013 Washington D.C. (International Christian Concern) - International Christian Concern (ICC) has recently learned Mohamed El Baladi has been released from the Moroccan prison where he was held after being sentenced to two-and-a-half years in prison for the crimes of evangelism and shaking the faith of a Muslim. Mohamed had been held in prison since his arrest in late August, a troubling development as Christians have not served jail time on purely religious charges in some time. The release is only until his official appeal hearing, scheduled for October 10th. The release is a surprising turn of events, since Mohamed has already been convicted of the crimes it is highly unusual for a convicted "criminal" to be released while waiting for an appeal. 

ICC learned from contacts in Morocco that on Thursday, September 26th, Mohamed was summoned to a surprise hearing. His family only learned of it when his sister went to the prison to visit him and deliver groceries, only to be told that he was in court for a hearing. It was learned later that afternoon that he was released from prison and his appeal will be heard in early October.

As he spoke with family and friends, he confirmed that he faced severe abuse and pressure to recant his faith and return to Islam. As previously reported by ICC, the police attempted to force Mohamed to share the names of other Christians, both Moroccan and foreigners, who he was connected to, and spread false rumors to incite prisoners to further abuse him. The Moroccan government is known to closely monitor the activities of the Christian community, and the pressure applied to Mohamed raised fears among some local believers that a large-scale crackdown may be forthcoming.

Based upon reports from friends who have spoken with Mohamed, it is believed his family was upset at his conversion to Christianity and had pressured for a harsher sentence to prompt him to recant from his faith. They told ICC that he was set up by an uncle with whom he had a dispute over an inheritance. The uncle reportedly hired two 16-year-old boys to speak with Mohamed and express interest in Christianity. They requested to meet with him a second time and receive Bibles. When Mohamed met them the police had been notified and arrested him for proselytizing children under the age of 18. The boys also claimed that he had attempted to bribe them to convert, which is viewed even more harshly by the law. These details match a report from Morning Star News which reported, "El Baladi was charged with proselytizing young Muslims. Article 220 of Morocco's penal code states that those inducing a Muslim to convert may be punished by six months to three years in prison" ...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  550
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  2

I would call for the outlawing of the Muslim religion. If one chooses to follow the teaching of this schizophrenic murdering madman, then go and live with the other madmen (exile). There can be no peace with that religion and it is the high scope of ignorance to tolerate this disease. It can only grow and get worse. And those who support them, in the name of freedom of religion, then go and live with them. Then tell us how free you are.

• Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

I would call for the outlawing of the Muslim religion. If one chooses to follow the teaching of this schizophrenic murdering madman, then go and live with the other madmen (exile). There can be no peace with that religion and it is the high scope of ignorance to tolerate this disease. It can only grow and get worse. And those who support them, in the name of freedom of religion, then go and live with them. Then tell us how free you are.

If Islam was outlawed completely, the World would probably be a very peaceful place.

If Islam was outlawed completely, the World would probably be a very peaceful place.

Unfortunately civilized laws are only effective against those peoples civilized enough to comply with them, but islam is a stone age law (sharia) unto itself for itself.

.... would you defend the right of Islamic people to spread their religion?

:thumbsup:

One LORD

Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me. Matthew 10:34-38

Or Another

Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake. Matthew 24:9

And Two

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning. James 1:17

Fathers

Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it. John 8:44

Which One

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. Matthew 5:44-45

Is Your 

He that is not with me is against me: and he that gathereth not with me scattereth. Luke 11:23

Dad

For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. Romans 8:15

~

Believe

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. John 14:6

And Be Blessed Beloved

And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God. 1 John 5:11-13

Love, Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Update from World Magazine:

"The family of a Moroccan Christian on trial was shocked and touched to see 11 human rights lawyers at his appeal hearing on Oct. 10 in Fez, Morocco. The attorneys, all members of the Moroccan Association of Human Rights, persuaded the judge to defer the case until late December, according to Moroccan news outlet Yabiladi.

"Moroccan authorities arrested Mohamed El Baladi, a Christian convert from Islam, in late August and charged him with proselytizing and “shaking the faith of a Muslim.” In an unusually quick trial, he was convicted within a week and sentence to a 30-month prison term before he even had legal counsel ...

"Todd Daniels, International Christian Concern’s regional manager for the Middle East, said El Baladi’s family is thrilled by the support from Moroccan human rights groups, adding that El Baladi remains free for the moment."

http://www.worldmag.com/2013/10/eleven_lawyers_plead_for_jailed_moroccan_christian