• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  393
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/05/1955

I thought this was an easy passage until I started asking myself a few questions, now they have snowballed. lol

Revelation 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Why does this passage not say the following:

And the souls who were in hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Is death a physical thing that can be cast into the lake of fire?

Is hell going to be kept intact in the lake of fire?

Why say death and hell?

Besides, is not hell empty? The previous passage says so here.

Revelation 20:13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

Death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them. Who might be dead but not in hell or heaven?

Delivered up the dead from death?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  2,802
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Birthday:  06/01/1945

Revelation 20:14  And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Revelation 20:13  And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

Greetings 2bba,

Well, let me throw in some thoughts to add to your quandary:

The Lake of Fire was created for Satan and his demons. There are currently demons now imprisoned in Hell.

The "sea" is the sea of humankind, not the oceans. The last of humankind was destroyed completely in the Gog and Magog war, the last war against God's Holy One and the Saints.

The "death" may be referring to the fact that there shall never again be death for the rest of eternity and even the very idea of it shall fade from memory. All things will be made new, old things will have completely passed away. The same thing applies to Hell.

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

Guest hubertdorm
The "death" may be referring to the fact that there shall never again be death for the rest of eternity and even the very idea of it shall fade from memory.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think this is a good interpretation. Throughout the reign previously, those with mortal bodies (survivors of the Lord's coming) will still be reproducing and dying, until the battle of Gog and Magog, when the Lord finally casts the Devil and the rebellion into the lake of fire for all of eternity. Forever and ever. Amen.

Thanks for the clarification

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

Revelation 20 NKJV

14Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Revelation 20 KJV

14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Revelation 20 NSAB

14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire.

Could it be that Hell is only a temporary holding place? and once there is no further need for it then it to is cast into the lake of fire with all those not written in the book of life?

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Revelation 20 KJV

Could it be that Hell is only a temporary holding place? and once there is no further need for it then it to is cast into the lake of fire with all those not written in the book of life?

Hell is cast into the Lake of Fire.

Revelation 20:10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

...But as the devil is tormented day and night, so to are all those who were in hell and now find themselves in the lake of fire.

I wonder if hell stays intact in the lake of fire though, or if it breaks like a water balloon and only the lake of fire then exists for the lost.

Time is ended about this same period, so there will be no measurement possible of eternity - it just will always be.

• 3 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  302
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

I don't agree with Dr. Jack Van Impe on a couple of things, but I believe he was right when he talked about hell and the lake of fire on a tape that I have, he said that the greek word "hades' is translated "hell", and it is a temporary holding place for the unsaved dead where they all suffer the same, he likened hell to a "local jail" where criminals are held until the final trial, and he likened the Great White Thrown Judgment as that final trial, and the greek word "Gehenna" which is also translated hell, except when Gehenna is translated hell, it is refering to the lake of fire, and after the "final trial" the unsaved will be cast in the "final penetentury" [the lake of fire} where there will be degrees of suffering, depending on how much light a person had, how many times a person had heard the gospel and rejected it. The more a person heard the gospel and rejected it, the more they will suffer in the lake of fire. Dr. Van Impe, said that "Gehenna" is translated "hell" 12 times in the new testament ,and it is refering to the lake of fire, and "hades" is translated "hell" 10 times, and it is refering to this temporary holding place of suffering where all lost souls go immediately upon death and suffer at the same degree. At this Great White Thrown Judjment, hades [hell} will give up the dead, to be judged and then be cast into Gehenna {hell-lake of fire}. I guess you can say that the first hell gives up the dead to be judged and then be cast in to the second hell which is much worse since there will be degrees of suffering. One more thing, "hades" is translated "grave" once in the new testament in 1 Cor.15:55. I borrowed my pastor's greek lexicon, and looked at a copy of the new testament in greek that he has, to make sure Dr. Van Impe was right.