IGNORED

Should Christians participate in Halloween?

Hall7

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,385
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  5

I don't know about you but I stay indoors during that holiday, I've always felt dark vibes going on that day and pretty much agree with what the link says below. What about you?

http://christiananswers.net/q-eden/halloween.html

The October 31st holiday that we today know as Halloween has strong roots in paganism and is closely connected with worship of the Enemy of this world, Satan. It is a holiday that generally glorifies the dark things of this world, rather than the light of Jesus Christ, The Truth.

Have you noticed how costumes and masks are getting generally more bloody, gory, and depraved each year? Unfortunately, the gruesome and grotesque and the occult are increasingly glorified in American society, not only on Halloween, but throughout the year in frequent horror movies and television programs.

My family does not celebrate it or participate in it. We do not believe that our children are “missing out,” and neither do they. Other days are used for costumes and parties. Happily, all of our children have accepted Jesus Christ as their personal Savior. We have found that Halloween provides an excellent time to remind our children that, as Christians, we are different, and not of this world (Heb. 11:13-16; 1 Pet. 2:11).

What about church “Harvest Festivals” held on October 31? Although we understand the rational and good intentions behind them, we don’t think they are the best approach. Our family tends to agree with the author of an article called “Are ‘Harvest Parties’ for Christians?” (written by a self-avowed former witch and now active Christian). Harvest parties on October 31 tend to assume that “our children need something to take the place of Halloween, since they won’t be participating in the secular and pagan celebrations. It suggests our kids are missing out on something. And indeed they are, if we allow them to spend Halloween in celebration.” There are better things to do on Halloween than partying.

halloween-costume.jpg

Also, we need to teach our children that “the fight isn’t against occultists, non-Christians, Christians who feel differently than we about Halloween, or institutions that promote Halloween, but” “against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places” (Ephesians 6:12, NKJV).

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.77
  • Days Won:  226

I've been in on other messageboards before where they discuss Halloween and they usually become a nightmare.I do not participate in Halloween.That is a choice everyone has to make for themselves.

I've been in on other messageboards before where they discuss Halloween and they usually become a nightmare.I do not participate in Halloween.That is a choice everyone has to make for themselves.

I'm sure many will disagree about not participating in Halloween because of their beliefs... The main thing I'm wondering about is if many of you feel dark forces at work on that day, my spirit is sensitive about these types of things and I'm pretty sure that many others are too.  

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,363
  • Content Per Day:  0.35

No I don't think it matters if people dress up and children collect candy. There, now both sides are present.

I'm sure many will disagree about not participating in Halloween because of their beliefs... The main thing I'm wondering about is if many of you feel dark forces at work on that day, my spirit is sensitive about these types of things and I'm pretty sure that many others are too.  

1 John 4:4 You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.

I wonder how many people will spend the evening with their lights out so kids don't come knocking at the door?

From what I have seen not very many.But those could be people who are working or attending other activities with their children.It has become quite popular to take children to Halloween carnavals or parties.

I wonder how many people will spend the evening with their lights out so kids don't come knocking at the door?

I won't deny candy to children but I will to adults lol.

If a person has a conviction to not participate in Halloween, then by all means they should abstain.

Actually, I think the whole chapter of Romans 14, speaks to many of the questions regarding the issue, including the judgement that some who inevitable comment on the topic, might want to consider before commenting on the actions of others who feel they have, in their Christian liberty, the right to participate in the holiday. At the same time, those who choose to participate, might want to consider the topic of stumbling those beleivers who are weaker in their faith.

If a person has a conviction to not participate in Halloween, then by all means they should abstain.

Actually, I think the whole chapter of Romans 14, speaks to many of the questions regarding the issue, including the judgement that some who inevitable comment on the topic, might want to consider before commenting on the actions of others who feel they have, in their Christian liberty, the right to participate in the holiday. At the same time, those who choose to participate, might want to consider the topic of stumbling those beleivers who are weaker in their faith.

As the link says: Also, we need to teach our children that “the fight isn’t against occultists, non-Christians, Christians who feel differently than we about Halloween, or institutions that promote Halloween, but” “against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places” (Ephesians 6:12, NKJV).

It isn't my intent to appear as I am judging the ones who do participate in Halloween. I suppose a better way to put that question in perspective would be "Does participating in Halloween affect our spirits as a Christian", does God mind us participating? And I completely understand that children and most adults have no idea what it's about (as far as the spiritual realm goes), but "us" as Christians, does it matter to us or not? I'm curious of what people's point of view are on that and am by no means judging anyone.

The history of Halloween came from the Celtic culture, their purpose of dressing as ghosts on that day was to keep them from being harmed by ghosts (according to their beliefs), by dressing like a ghost they believed they would blend in with the ghosts and not appear as prey to them (Or something like that). Although, I've also heard that this day is also celebrated by some witchcraft sects and is a special day to them as well. So the whole idea of Halloween sounds very obscure to me, maybe some of you can enlighten me to think otherwise. Thank you...