IGNORED

Dead to the World / Alive in Christ

Guest DRS81

How do we die to self in a materialistic self gratifying world.

Do we throw away all our clothes and possessions.

How do we die to our flesh and become alive in Christ.

What actions do we take in the 21st century.

I'm having trouble understanding this in christianity,

mainly because comfort surrounds us 24 hours a day in america.

Does scripture tell us to live in poverty.

Scripture tells us to put our faith in GOD and HE will take care of all our needs. We are not expected to live in poverty; nor are we to chase after the things of this world. Matthew 6:25-26 teaches "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?"(NIV) And Colossians 3:1-3 says: "Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God."

Matthew 6:25-26

What about the starving children in Africa or being born into a 3rd world country. What do they think about Matthew 6:25-26. Are they excluded because they're not born again. Do we only get our needs met after we're born again?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  33
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/18/1978

Pick you up a copy of AV 1611 and believe every single word. Read the epistles of Paul.  These books will teach how a Christian should live. 

Edited by OneLight
Removed link - against ToS, even if it is selling bibles.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  4

How do we die to self in a materialistic self gratifying world.

Do we throw away all our clothes and possessions.

How do we die to our flesh and become alive in Christ.

What actions do we take in the 21st century.

I'm having trouble understanding this in christianity,

mainly because comfort surrounds us 24 hours a day in america.

Does scripture tell us to live in poverty.

No scripture doesn't tell us to live in poverty.  But we are told not to love money: For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.  I Timothy 6:10  To be rich is not a sin unless you forget the One who hath bless you so Richly.   Jesus tells a parable about a certain rich man, who only care was about his riches and not a thing about God in Luke 12:16-21.  Christ close by saying: 20)  But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul is required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided,?   21)  So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.  Luke 12:20-21

While we read in Matthew 25:31-45 the things that God would have us do for others as in feeding the hungry etc. we see other place where this spoken of.  For example in James 2 we see James correcting the church for honoring the rich and despising the poor, James 2:1-13  Than James tells us for us as believers to say we have faith and yet see or brother or sister in need and have this world's good to help, but send them away with nothing will James compares this to dead faith see James 2:14-17.  This work IMO is the work of love:  For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing  neither uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.  Galatians 5:6    We also see John speaking of this same manner just like James but he speak of this work as love.

I John 3:16-18

16)  Hereby perceive we the love of God, because He laid down His life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.

17)  But whoso hath this world's good,  and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?

18)  My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.

So I think one thing to do to die to self is just to make sure you are rich toward God with what little or what much you have.  And just remember that Christ Jesus gave us the best example of this: For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that thought He was rich, yet for your sake He became poor, that ye through His poverty might be rich.  II Corinthians 8:9

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  545
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

Just to add to what has already been said:

Gal 5:19,21   19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness,  idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies,  envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

We are instructed to walk in  the spirit ..in doing so we keep the flesh down and die to self:

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,  gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.

As to material things scripture tells us that we should lay up our treasure in heaven where it does'nt rust or decay.  It also tells us that where your treasure is so will your heart be also.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,994
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,692
  • Content Per Day:  11.74
  • Days Won:  226

You sacrifice everything that Christ would not want you to see or do.That includes many,many things among the world.Many are not wanting to do this.One foot on Earth and the other in Heaven.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

The blessedness of possessing nothing but owning everything.  

What a hard concept to internalize.  I am closer to it today than I once was.  I don't own anything, I am a steward of Gods things though as all things belong to Him whom we have to do.  And why would I care about earthly things anyway?  I am headed for Heaven.  Of course I enjoy having my home, clothes, computer, coffee, telephone, truck, car, coffee, shower, turtle pond, did I mention coffee?  Today, I have a rule that I live by.  I do not buy or bring into my stewardship anything that I would love more than the people who might need them more than I.  The love of God in me constrains me to give when I see my brother in need.  It is not I, for I would store it all up in my barn for fear I might need it some day, but the love of God in me allows me to give freely of all that I am steward over without fear.  There is truly no fear in love.

Paul once said that he new how to abase and how to abound.  I couldn't get with that for a long time.  There is a great danger in poverty.  There is also a great danger in great possessions.  As for me, I will settle for having a great name that I do not take in vain.  Oh, what's in a name?  Peace.