• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  20
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/14/1989

Hey y'all.

If any of you have read my posts, you should know that I'm sort of a new Christian (since August), and I'm not as familiar with things as some of you may be.

Today at church I was praying with some people and God really convicted me and showed me some things I didn't realize. I want to spend more time devoted to God, and I feel that now (like within the next couple days) would be a good time to fast. But I'm wondering, is it as simple as just not eating or is there more to it?

Your input is always appreciated!

God Bless

Tyler

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  439
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  7,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.93

Honey, many people are really confused about fasting. They *(super Christians) assume you must suffer horribly and it's bread and water or just water.

Absurd.

That's okay, but I do NOT recommend it, especially at first.

Medically speaking you need electrolytes.

I am able to fast for 2 days if I have unlimited use of Gatorade or other drinks with electrolytes.

This supplies the necessary minerals the body needs so you won't pass out.

Secondly, you might start out just fasting ONE meal.....or two. Go easy and work up to what you feel able to handle.

WHY?

Well, medical reasons. CONSULT A DOCTOR FIRST!!!

Why? You may have a blood sugar problem; cancer or other medical disorder requiring special care.

Fasting can be not only of food but a fast of bland food.

I knew a woman who fasted 39 days on bread and water and her desire of her heart was to break down the wall so Satan so the message of the gospel could be brought in.

She broke through the strongholds of Satan and had victory. It was hard, though. She was pretty experienced in this though.

Fasting can be a fasting of sleep and prayer....there's different kinds of fasting but the main thing is ask the LORD what HE would have you do and listen closely for HIS leading. If need be, ask for confirmation from the Lord.

Guest Thomas I believe
Honey, many people are really confused about fasting. They *(super Christians) assume you must suffer horribly and it's bread and water or just water.

Absurd.

That's okay, but I do NOT recommend it, especially at first.

Medically speaking you need electrolytes.

I am able to fast for 2 days if I have unlimited use of Gatorade or other drinks with electrolytes.

This supplies the necessary minerals the body needs so you won't pass out.

Secondly, you might start out just fasting ONE meal.....or two. Go easy and work up to what you feel able to handle.

WHY?

Well, medical reasons. CONSULT A DOCTOR FIRST!!!

Why? You may have a blood sugar problem; cancer or other medical disorder requiring special care.

Fasting can be not only  of food but a fast of bland food.

I knew a woman who fasted 39 days on bread and water and her desire of her heart was to break down the wall so Satan so the message of the gospel could be brought in.

She broke through the strongholds of Satan and had victory. It was hard, though. She was pretty experienced in this though.

Fasting can be a fasting of sleep and prayer....there's different kinds of fasting but the main thing is ask the LORD what HE would have you do and listen closely for HIS leading. If need be, ask for confirmation from the Lord.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with Cats. Work your way up as she stated. Some people will give up a favorite food item, some a whole meal, some no food for many days. There is a lot to gain from fasting and I have fasted a lot but you don't want to put yourself in a harmful situation to your body. Pray about fasting and ask God to reveal how He wants you to do it, then you will know.. :blink:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,230
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/03/1952

Derek Prince wrote three books on fasting:

Fasting

How to Fast Successfully

Shaping History Through Prayer and Fasting

I would recommend all of them. You should be able to get them at any Christian book store.

Isaiah 58 is also a must study for the person who wants to fast.

LT

• Topic Count:  439
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  7,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.93

Regardless of what books tell you, if you're under a doctor's care, be especially careful to check with the physician.

This is especially important for those on insulin or with other sugar disorders or people on blood pressure and heart medications, as some require food in order to metabolize.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  923
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  10/03/1974

I have been thinking of this too and was interested in finding out more, as many of you know i am a new Christian too, so again i know little of the matter. What I was wondering was, what is the purpose or reason behind fasting?

Can someone lead me to Scriptural references please?

Your Sister in Christ Jesus

Anne

Guest Thomas I believe
I have been thinking of this too and was interested in finding out more, as many of you know i am a new Christian too, so again i know little of the matter.  What I was wondering was, what is the purpose or reason behind fasting?

Can someone lead me to Scriptural references please?

Anne

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Anne, When we fast and pray, we are doing this to seek Gods knowledge, His will for us, to draw into a closer relationship with Him. We fast for direction in our life, for breakthrus in our struggles. There are differant places in scripture that talk about fasting.

16 Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

17 But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face;

18 That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly. Matthew 6 16:18 (KJV)

But as for me, when they were sick, my clothing was sackcloth: I humbled my soul with fasting; and my prayer returned into mine own bosom. Psalm35:13 (KJV)

And I set my face unto the Lord God, to seek by prayer and supplications, with fasting, and sackcloth, and ashes: Daniel 9:3 (KJV)

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  923
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  10/03/1974

Thanks Thomas

Much appreciated.

Anne

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  20
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  06/14/1989

Hey,

Thank your for the advice and tips. I prayed about it a lot, and I didn't fast the entire day, but rather from waking up until about 5:00 PM (I did have a bagel when I woke up, but that was planned). I just felt that God had called me to do it, since he has been revealing himself to me so much lately.

God Bless,

Tyler

Guest Thomas I believe
Hey,

Thank your for the advice and tips.  I prayed about it a lot, and I didn't fast the entire day, but rather from waking up until about 5:00 PM (I did have a bagel when I woke up, but that was planned).  I just felt that God had called me to do it, since he has been revealing himself to me so much lately.

God Bless,

Tyler

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amen Tyler , Just keep seeking God everyday and fast when God puts it on your heart to do so. Its not how much or how long we fast that matters, its the fact that we are seeking a closer relationship with our Lord. :thumbsup: