I'm struggling with aging, and finding a job

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

I am limited in how many hours I can hold up on a job, as well as many jobs I am willing to do end up requiring heavy lifting.  I have many, great office skills but those jobs are not opening up to me, not even an interview.

Are any of you struggling with being older, and having been out of work for some time (about 4 years for me) and I am 61 so I am too young to collect my SS.  I am facing possible homeless-ness and just wonder why God hasn't answered my need for an income.  I mean, I know His ways are higher, and I have not lost my faith in Him.  Guess I just hoped to hear some success stories (job wise) and maybe how you got through your rough time, what God did for you.  Or maybe you are in my spot and we can sort of encourage each other, thanks and God bless:)

I just saw your thread a few minutes ago and I have to share the story of an older friend of mine.  We used to work together and have stayed in touch; we do lunch, that kind of thing.  Well she was laid off in 2008 and didn't find a new job 'til December 2011!  She is a strong believer though and never lost faith that the Lord would bring her through.  She was hired by a major oilfield company at 62 years of age and is very happy in her new company.  Please don't give up believing in Him; He will bring you through anything if you just lay it at the foot of the cross and trust Him.

I wil pray for the Lord to help you quickly, sister.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  102
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/28/1952

I am limited in how many hours I can hold up on a job, as well as many jobs I am willing to do end up requiring heavy lifting.  I have many, great office skills but those jobs are not opening up to me, not even an interview.

Are any of you struggling with being older, and having been out of work for some time (about 4 years for me) and I am 61 so I am too young to collect my SS.  I am facing possible homeless-ness and just wonder why God hasn't answered my need for an income.  I mean, I know His ways are higher, and I have not lost my faith in Him.  Guess I just hoped to hear some success stories (job wise) and maybe how you got through your rough time, what God did for you.  Or maybe you are in my spot and we can sort of encourage each other, thanks and God bless:)

I just saw your thread a few minutes ago and I have to share the story of an older friend of mine.  We used to work together and have stayed in touch; we do lunch, that kind of thing.  Well she was laid off in 2008 and didn't find a new job 'til December 2011!  She is a strong believer though and never lost faith that the Lord would bring her through.  She was hired by a major oilfield company at 62 years of age and is very happy in her new company.  Please don't give up believing in Him; He will bring you through anything if you just lay it at the foot of the cross and trust Him.

I wil pray for the Lord to help you quickly, sister.

Oh wow, this was so encouraging, thank you for sharing it, no, I won't give up:)  God bless you, and when you talk to your friend, tell her how much I needed to hear about how God was faithful to her:) denise, your sister in Christ

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.78
  • Days Won:  226

Not hiring older people is job descrimination.But they get away with it all the time.Unfortunately it is the kiss of death now to be 50 or older.Almost impossible to get a job unless you know someone.

I hear you bopeep, but as I was recently reminded, God is bigger than all that, and He will not let any of us down;) God bless you, denise, ysic

I am sorry that was not very encouraging.Oh yes,God is bigger than that.I do hope that you find that job that you want.I think that more employers should hire older people.Their is alot of advantages to that.I may be layed off the last of March.I am not looking forward to that. :(

Not hiring older people is job descrimination.But they get away with it all the time.Unfortunately it is the kiss of death now to be 50 or older.Almost impossible to get a job unless you know someone.

I hear you bopeep, but as I was recently reminded, God is bigger than all that, and He will not let any of us down;) God bless you, denise, ysic

I am sorry that was not very encouraging.Oh yes,God is bigger than that.I do hope that you find that job that you want.I think that more employers should hire older people.Their is alot of advantages to that.I may be layed off the last of March.I am not looking forward to that. :(

I got hit hard with real discouragement, your post here was fine BP, it is true that there is a lot of discrimination in this world.  I know you didn't mean to discourage me:)  I posted in the "women only" forum but no one home in there and I need to talk about what happened today, so rather than start another thread can you go take a look in there BP?  Maybe give me some feedback? denise, ysic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,220
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  03/18/1966

I got hit hard with real discouragement, your post here was fine BP, it is true that there is a lot of discrimination in this world.  I know you didn't mean to discourage me:)  I posted in the "women only" forum but no one home in there and I need to talk about what happened today, so rather than start another thread can you go take a look in there BP?  Maybe give me some feedback? denise, ysic

my prayers are with you celebratejesus.

thank you Desi, I am much better today. I am putting one foot in front of the other, have a couple errands that might produce some opportunities for me.  Thank you for your prayers, as I really feel secure in knowing someone is praying for me.  My Experience Works hasn't called me since I saw them last week so I will call today.  I also have a home-care place to stop by and talk to.  They have some tasks for people that are non-medical, like errands, cooking meals, just being there at times over-night, etc.  I don't know that I am a good candidate for that, but I am going to go explore the possibility.  I am hoping for the Experience Works:)  but it is of course, up to God:)  ttyl, your sister in Christ, denise :heart:

thank you Desi, I am much better today. I am putting one foot in front of the other, have a couple errands that might produce some opportunities for me.  Thank you for your prayers, as I really feel secure in knowing someone is praying for me.  My Experience Works hasn't called me since I saw them last week so I will call today.  I also have a home-care place to stop by and talk to.  They have some tasks for people that are non-medical, like errands, cooking meals, just being there at times over-night, etc.  I don't know that I am a good candidate for that, but I am going to go explore the possibility.  I am hoping for the Experience Works:)  but it is of course, up to God:)  ttyl, your sister in Christ, denise :heart:

Do not give up.Hold your head up high and go out everyday and look for that job :mgcheerful: .Just take a day at a time with God by your side.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,220
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  03/18/1966

celebratejesus, dear sister, how are things going with you?

blessings,

desi

blessings,

desi

Hi Desi,

Thank you for asking, I am doing ok:)  Just not into the forums these days. Take care girlfriend:)

blessings,

desi

Hi Desi,

Thank you for asking, I am doing ok:)  Just not into the forums these days. Take care girlfriend:)

I thought you were going to say that you had found a job  :mgcheerful: