IGNORED

Hebrew Scholar Affirms YEC and Other parts of Genesis

Guest shiloh357

Guest shiloh357

Conversations on this board have a way of veering off from the OP; this thread is no exception.

But my point is that the reason for thread is not to  talk about the spiritual message of Genesis 1.  I don't understand why it has to be about that??  

And I only know of one thread that dealt with the spiritual message of the text. Every other thread kept wresting the Hellinistic intepretation of Genesis 1.

I realize that.  But again, I don't think that complaining that this thread isn't focusing on the spiritual message of Genesis 1 is helpful.  I just don't think that it has to be about that topic.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  327
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  2

shiloh357, on 14 Jan 2014 - 07:57 AM, said:snapback.png

It's more than that.  The Hebrew grammar of the text only allows for the use of "yom" to be rendered as a litreal 24 hour day in that particular text.  That is the crux of the problem.

Does this include having to believe that vs 1 was a part of Day 1? That in the first 24-hour time period God creates the entire universe, the earth, waters, and then light?

Does this include having to believe that days were marked off as 24 hours before the creation of the sun?

Does this include having to believe that evenings and mornings likewise existed before the creation of the sun?

1. Actually day 1 only includes the creation of light and the separation of light and darkness.

2. I dont know what is hard to accept about that given that this would not be a problem for an all-knowing God.  Furthermore, the sun is the catalyist for photosynthesis yet there was vegitation prior to the creation of the sun.   In the OEC view, photosynthesis might have been happening for billions of years without the aid of the sun. So I don't see the problem with believing that an all-knowing God can mark off 24 hours without the aid of the sun.

3. What does the text say?   Why add such modifers to the text if 24 hour days were not intended?

I definitely see the obsession with 6 24-hour periods trumping the spiritual message.

But If I were obsessed with OEC view of billions of years that would not trump the spiritual message???    I don't get where this can be called an "obsession."   I am simply committed to the truth of what the text says. 

I don't see where holding to the 6 24 hour day trumps the spiritual message.

OK, if I were to ask the average Christian what common Gospel doctrine comes out of Gen. 1:2 by itself, what would I be told?

Or if I were to ask the average Christian what common Gospel doctrine comes out of Gen. 1:14-19, what would I be told?

There are many who would not be able to answer those questions not because those texts don't speak to doctrinal issues, but because they have never been trained to see the doctrines in Genesis.   They have been trained to see it all as a bunch of stories that have little to no relevance to them and their lives.

Then why is everyone trying to glean a scientific interpretation out of it rather than a spiritual one?

You will have to ask them, because that isn't what I am trying to do.

Shiloh, I deeply apologize to you. I got off task when I was responding to a post. It was Enoch I was responding to. I absent-mindedly wrote Shiloh, but meant to write Enoch. Please forgive this oversight. My posting was not meant for you. You had a right to bark back at me for that. I hope you know it was not meant for you.

Moses wrote the Bible and was a Jew. You have to view it from a Jewish perspective or you will lose its intent and full meaning. The church has misinterpreted some of Jesus' parables because of this lack of understanding. Once you do, however, they burst open with meaning. G-d states there are mysteries here. You have to do a little detective work. We have been through the duality possibility. Opinions otherwise won't change it.

"Moses wrote the Bible and was a Jew."

But the Author was Jesus Christ.  I've "heard" that there is some proof that it was given to Moses 1 letter @ a time...can't support that statement.

..and he used Moses, the Prophets, the Apostles and other Jews to put it in pen.  Jesus and Paul attest to Moses and what He said. Ro. 10:5

"Moses wrote the Bible and was a Jew. You have to view it from a Jewish perspective or you will lose its intent and full meaning."

I may be misguided but I thought he wrote it to me.  I'm getting a feeling here that I either have to be a Jew or a Hebrew Scholar to be able to discern what the LORD is trying to say or distill the TRUE meaning....is that a fair assessment or am I misunderstanding the messages?

Jews were charged to bring the ways and word of G-d to the nations and teach them about the one true G-d of Israel.  The Bible is for all of mankind.  The Jews did not fully obey their charge to the nations.   You do not need to be a Jew or Hebrew scholar, but you cannot wipe out the Jewishness of the Bible or Jesus and expect to come to a clear understanding of the word.

"The church has misinterpreted some of Jesus' parables"

What "church" might that be?

In some churches, when teaching some parables, because they do not understand some of the Jewish customs of the times, have made efforts to completely interpret it on what they think it is saying.  For ex. Mt 5:22.  The eye is good, eye is bad referenced here is still talking about money.  Some want to say that it has to do with what you are looking at, instead.  The  whole parable has to do with money.  The good eye in the Jewish culture meant some one who was generous and giving.  The bad eye was someone who was closed-fist and not generous.  That is why Jesus said you cannot serve both G-d and money. 

"Once you do, however, they burst open with meaning."

I would have to agree with you.... in some instances.  Perhaps someone can speak to this. 

"G-d states there are mysteries here. You have to do a little detective work."

100% agree.....

(Proverbs 25:2) "It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter."

One last issue....I've seen alot of posts in the forum with "G-d".  Is it that difficult to add the "O" and spell it "GOD" or I am "out of the loop" and not following proper etiquette?

I deeply apologize to you. I read your post , but got confused that it was from Shiloh. I was a little sensitive to the comment about being difficult to add "O" to G-d and thought he was on my case again. The last bit was not meant for you and obviously not for Shiloh either since he did not post it. I hope you accept my apology. Please feel free to ask me anything. I promised I will read it more carefully and not let myself get confused by being distracted by other activities when posting. Sorry :(

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,396
  • Content Per Day:  0.90
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  12/26/1963

Moses wrote the Bible and was a Jew. You have to view it from a Jewish perspective or you will lose its intent and full meaning. The church has misinterpreted some of Jesus' parables because of this lack of understanding. Once you do, however, they burst open with meaning. G-d states there are mysteries here. You have to do a little detective work. We have been through the duality possibility. Opinions otherwise won't change it.

But the Author was Jesus Christ.  I've "heard" that there is some proof that it was given to Moses 1 letter @ a time...can't support that statement.

..and he used Moses, the Prophets, the Apostles and other Jews to put it in pen.  Jesus and Paul attest to Moses and what He said. Ro. 10:5

"Moses wrote the Bible and was a Jew. You have to view it from a Jewish perspective or you will lose its intent and full meaning."

I may be misguided but I thought he wrote it to me.  I'm getting a feeling here that I either have to be a Jew or a Hebrew Scholar to be able to discern what the LORD is trying to say or distill the TRUE meaning....is that a fair assessment or am I misunderstanding the messages?

Jews were charged to bring the ways and word of G-d to the nations and teach them about the one true G-d of Israel.  The Bible is for all of mankind.  The Jews did not fully obey their charge to the nations.   You do not need to be a Jew or Hebrew scholar, but you cannot wipe out the Jewishness of the Bible or Jesus and expect to come to a clear understanding of the word.

In some churches, when teaching some parables, because they do not understand some of the Jewish customs of the times, have made efforts to completely interpret it on what they think it is saying.  For ex. Mt 5:22.  The eye is good, eye is bad referenced here is still talking about money.  Some want to say that it has to do with what you are looking at, instead.  The  whole parable has to do with money.  The good eye in the Jewish culture meant some one who was generous and giving.  The bad eye was someone who was closed-fist and not generous.  That is why Jesus said you cannot serve both G-d and money. 

I would have to agree with you.... in some instances.  Perhaps someone can speak to this. 

100% agree.....

(Proverbs 25:2) "It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter."

One last issue....I've seen alot of posts in the forum with "G-d".  Is it that difficult to add the "O" and spell it "GOD" or I am "out of the loop" and not following proper etiquette?

I deeply apologize to you. I read your post , but got confused that it was from Shiloh. I was a little sensitive to the comment about being difficult to add "O" to G-d and thought he was on my case again. The last bit was not meant for you and obviously not for Shiloh either since he did not post it. I hope you accept my apology. Please feel free to ask me anything. I promised I will read it more carefully and not let myself get confused by being distracted by other activities when posting. Sorry :(

No worries. Confusing me with Shiloh is a compliment of the Highest Order in my eyes :)

Guest shiloh357

Shiloh, I deeply apologize to you. I got off task when I was responding to a post. It was Enoch I was responding to. I absent-mindedly wrote Shiloh, but meant to write Enoch. Please forgive this oversight. My posting was not meant for you. You had a right to bark back at me for that. I hope you know it was not meant for you.

That is totally okay, shar.  I was not and am not offended at you.   I hope i didn't come off as "barking" at you. LOL.   I really do enjoy talking to you.  So you have nothing to worry about.  It happens on the boards when we are posting and people get confused and think they are responding to someone else.  I have done it, myself.   No hard feelings, I promise. :emot-handshake:

100% agree.....

No worries. Confusing me with Shiloh is a compliment of the Highest Order in my eyes :)

You are soooo sweet.  Yes, Shiloh has some valuable insight.  Thanks again my brother.  G-d Bless

That is totally okay, shar.  I was not and am not offended at you.   I hope i didn't come off as "barking" at you. LOL.   I really do enjoy talking to you.  So you have nothing to worry about.  It happens on the boards when we are posting and people get confused and think they are responding to someone else.  I have done it, myself.   No hard feelings, I promise. :emot-handshake:

Thank you, Shiloh.  I really do love you.  The forum is sometimes boring when you are not on.  Thanks for understanding and may G-d richly bless you!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,239
  • Content Per Day:  0.86
  • Days Won:  6

What a great ending to this thread. Such graciousness and brotherly and sisterly love in Christ.

Well done combatants, errrrr, I mean discussers.

Spock.  You make me laugh. :)