• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  701
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,511
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/18/1955

To insist that every literary genre in the Bible must be taken literally and to infer that those who don't embrace this devout but simplistic approach aren't "genuine" Christians is pharisaic.

It is not a matter of simply not taking something "literally."  You compared the Word of God to Aesop's fables.  That is essentially claiming that Genesis 3 is more like a fairy tale ...

More like a parable found in the NT; I compared, not equated, a sacred and a secular parable.

Perhaps I do, but talking snakes and magic apples that impart wisdom remind me of Aesop's "parables".

Slight corrections.

The Scriptures never call the fruit an apple. (Where did the apple idea come from anyway?)

And the tree was the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil ...

Well, since majoring on minors seems to be the order of the day, the tree is not called that either: in Genesis 3, it is referred to only as the tree in the middle of the garden (Amplified Bible) and/or the tree God commanded not to partake of because eating its fruit will give one the knowledge of the differences between good and evil/blessing and calamity.

Re apples and Eve, tomatoes are also blood-red -- a color traditionally associated with hazard/warning -- and were once thought poisonous.

More accurately, the phrase "good and evil" is a Hebraic figure of speech known as a merism.  It is an expression that expresses totality in terms of polarity.  It's like saying, "I searched high and low,"  meant mean that one as searched everywhere.

It wasnt about know the differences between good and evil.  It was about having knowledge of all things, good and evil ...

Genesis 3 -- Amplified Bible

3 Now the serpent was more subtle and crafty than any living creature of the field which the Lord God had made. And he [satan] said to the woman, Can it really be that God has said, You shall not eat from every tree of the garden?

2 And the woman said to the serpent, We may eat the fruit from the trees of the garden,

3 Except the fruit from the tree which is in the middle of the garden. God has said, You shall not eat of it, neither shall you touch it, lest you die.

4 But the serpent said to the woman, You shall not surely die,

5 For God knows that in the day you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing the difference between good and evil and blessing and calamity.

The first stated aim of the publishers of this Bible was to be "true to the original Hebrew and Greek". The other aims were to be grammatically correct, understandable to the masses and to give the Lord Jesus His proper place.

Have they failed?

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Perhaps I do, but talking snakes and magic apples that impart wisdom remind me of Aesop's "parables".

Slight corrections.

The Scriptures never call the fruit an apple. (Where did the apple idea come from anyway?)

Well, since majoring on minors seems to be the order of the day, the tree is not called that either: in Genesis 3, it is referred to as the tree in the middle of the garden (Amplified Bible) and/or the tree God commanded Adam and Eve not to partake of because eating its fruit will give one the knowledge of the differences between good and evil/blessing and calamity.

Re apples and Eve, tomatoes are also blood-red -- a color traditionally associated with hazard/warning -- and were once thought poisonous.

No, it's there.

Genesis 2:17

King James Version (KJV)

17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

Guest shiloh357

Slight corrections.

Well, since majoring on minors seems to be the order of the day, the tree is not called that either: in Genesis 3, it is referred to only as the tree in the middle of the garden (Amplified Bible) and/or the tree God commanded not to partake of because eating its fruit will give one the knowledge of the differences between good and evil/blessing and calamity.

More accurately, the phrase "good and evil" is a Hebraic figure of speech known as a merism.  It is an expression that expresses totality in terms of polarity.  It's like saying, "I searched high and low,"  meant mean that one as searched everywhere.

It wasnt about know the differences between good and evil.  It was about having knowledge of all things, good and evil ...

3 Now the serpent was more subtle and crafty than any living creature of the field which the Lord God had made. And he [satan] said to the woman, Can it really be that God has said, You shall not eat from every tree of the garden?

2 And the woman said to the serpent, We may eat the fruit from the trees of the garden,

3 Except the fruit from the tree which is in the middle of the garden. God has said, You shall not eat of it, neither shall you touch it, lest you die.

5 For God knows that in the day you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing the difference between good and evil and blessing and calamity.

The first stated aim of the publishers of this Bible was to be "true to the original Hebrew and Greek". The other aims were to be grammatically correct, understandable to the masses and to give the Lord Jesus His proper place.

Have they failed?

You are reading from the Amplified Bible which inserts text not in the Scripture at the liberty of the translators.   The Amplified Bible isn't a bonefide translation. It has more in common with a paraphrase than a translation.  The Amplified got it wrong.

The Lockman Foundation's claim was being made about the New American Standard Bible translation, not the Amplified.

IMO, that account is a parable to simply, but profoundly explain creation to an audience that doesn't hold advanced degrees in geology and astrophysics, for what good that does atheists who actually hold those degrees.

Well your "opinion" is wrong.   There is no literary basis for claiming that the creation account is a parable.  Parables are a specific literary genre in Scripture and this does not read like parable at all.   You need to study hermeneutics and learn the difference between literary genres.                                                                                

~

Beloved

And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: Genesis 3:4

There Is Nothing

Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Genesis 3:1(a-c )

Magical About Satan

Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it. John 8:44

Nor About Sin

And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die. Genesis 2:16-17

You See

But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept. For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. 1 Corinthians 15:20-22

And As For All Those

But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments, And love the uppermost rooms at feasts, and the chief seats in the synagogues, And greetings in the markets, and to be called of men, Rabbi, Rabbi. Matthew 23:5-7

With Advanced Degrees In Geology

O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called: 1 Timothy 6:20

And Astrophysics And Such

But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren. And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven. Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ. Matthew 23:8-10

Their Scientism Too

Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. Colossians 2:8

Will

Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost. 1 Corinthians 12:3

Pass

For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.

So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.

Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way. Romans 14:11-13

Amen

For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Matthew 5:18

~

Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:

The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:

The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27

Love, Your Brother Joe

• Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,396
  • Content Per Day:  0.90
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  12/26/1963

Who said it was a Talking Snake?

That word in Hebrew is Nachash = Serpent, but it can also mean "Shining One".  Find the physical description of him in Ezekiel; it might be illuminating.....

(Ezekiel 28:13) "Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created."

just sayin

Slight corrections.

Have they failed?

You are reading from the Amplified Bible which inserts text not in the Scripture at the liberty of the translators.   The Amplified Bible isn't a bonefide translation. It has more in common with a paraphrase than a translation.  The Amplified got it wrong.

The Lockman Foundation's claim was being made about the New American Standard Bible translation, not the Amplified.

The Foundation's claim is printed in the preface of the expanded edition of the Amplified Bible; both the Foundation and Zondervan issued the first edition of the Amplified NT in 1958 -- mine was copyrighted 1987.

That word in Hebrew is Nachash = Serpent, but it can also mean "Shining One ...

Well, if it crawls like a snake and "talks" like a snake ...

Guest shiloh357

Slight corrections.

Have they failed?

The Foundation's claim is printed in the preface of the expanded edition of the Amplified Bible; both the Foundation and Zondervan issued the first edition of the Amplified NT in 1958 -- mine was copyrighted 1987.

But the fact remains that the Amplified Bible is not a translation. It is more of a paraphrase, which makes it unreliable.   It is expands on the text and is corrupted by the personal opinions of theologians and is not a formal translation.  

Guest shiloh357

That word in Hebrew is Nachash = Serpent, but it can also mean "Shining One ...

Well, if it crawls like a snake and "talks" like a snake ...

What about Balaam's talking donkey?? Do you believe in the splitting of the Red sea, the miracles of Jesus, either?  Do those things sound like Aesop's fables, as well?