• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Perhaps I do, but talking snakes and magic apples that impart wisdom remind me of Aesop's "parables".

Slight corrections.

The Scriptures never call the fruit an apple. (Where did the apple idea come from anyway?)

And the tree was the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. Knowledge is not wisdom. While the serpent did say it would make one wise, he can't exactly be trusted to be speaking the truth.

Guest shiloh357

Perhaps I do, but talking snakes and magic apples that impart wisdom remind me of Aesop's "parables".

Slight corrections.

The Scriptures never call the fruit an apple. (Where did the apple idea come from anyway?)

And the tree was the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. Knowledge is not wisdom. While the serpent did say it would make one wise, he can't exactly be trusted to be speaking the truth.

Did you ever wonder why Apple Inc. chose its logo be an apple with a bite taken out of it??

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  701
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,511
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/18/1955

Although Aesop's tales aren't literally true, they impart a very real truth about ourselves nonetheless. And I don't recall Paul saying anything about an apple when he wrote that in Adam's disobedience all have sinned, but in Christ's obedience we are made acceptable to God.

The comparison to Aesops' fables is spurious and frankly it is intellectually lazy.    The Bible treats the fall of man as literal history ...

To insist that every account in the Bible must be taken literally, e.g., that the Earth is only 6,000 years old -- or thereabouts -- is like tithing mint and dell while proclaiming that anyone who doesn't do likewise is "intellectually lazy".

Guest shiloh357

Although Aesop's tales aren't literally true, they impart a very real truth about ourselves nonetheless. And I don't recall Paul saying anything about an apple when he wrote that in Adam's disobedience all have sinned, but in Christ's obedience we are made acceptable to God.

The comparison to Aesops' fables is spurious and frankly it is intellectually lazy.    The Bible treats the fall of man as literal history ...

To insist that every account in the Bible must be taken literally, e.g., that the Earth is only 6,000 years old -- or thereabouts -- is like tithing mint and dell while proclaiming that anyone who doesn't do likewise is "intellectually lazy".

No, it is not like that at all.   Insisting that the biblical historical accounts are truthfully and accurately recorded is the outgrowth of faith in God and the integrity of His Word.   To insist that they are not truthfully and accurately recorded is to call God a liar and is an assault on his integrity and His authority. 

Genuine followers of Jesus don't doubt God's word.

No, it is not like that at all.   Insisting that the biblical historical accounts are truthfully and accurately recorded is the outgrowth of faith in God and the integrity of His Word.   To insist that they are not truthfully and accurately recorded is to call God a liar and is an assault on his integrity and His authority. 

Genuine followers of Jesus don't doubt God's word.

To insist that every literary genre in the Bible must be taken literally and to infer that those who don't embrace this devout but simplistic approach aren't "genuine" Christians is pharisaic.

Guest shiloh357

To insist that every literary genre in the Bible must be taken literally and to infer that those who don't embrace this devout but simplistic approach aren't "genuine" Christians is pharisaic.

It is not a matter of simply not taking something "literally."  You compared the Word of God to Aesop's fables.  That is essentially claiming that Genesis 3 is more like a fairy tale.   

That is more grevious than simply not taking an account as literal.  That you put it on the level of Aesop's fables shows an extreme hostility toward the Bible.   BTW, it was the pharisees who didn't believe the Word of God.   They put their ideas and traditions  over the Word of God.  Your comments have more in common with the Pharisees than anything I have said

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Slight corrections.

Did you ever wonder why Apple Inc. chose its logo be an apple with a bite taken out of it??

No.

• Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,396
  • Content Per Day:  0.89
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  12/26/1963

I confess I am getting tired of these types of questions; not because they are not good questions, but because there seems to me to be something below the surface....a sub-floor.  The issue is the nature of Scripture and what it means for Scripture to be inspired, yet we make it a scientific question.  It is not.  No one here would give a wit about the scientific claim that the earth is old if Genesis did not tell us it was made in 6 days--no one gets fired up about scientific claims regarding digestion, or diabetes, or how to get a rocket on the moon!

So, if someone can help me out, I will present my position (not a scientific one, but a matter of faith) for scrutiny.

I believe Scripture is inspired.  I believe the earth to be very, very, very old.  I am a OEC.  According to many people this is a contradiction.  I do not think it is.  Tell me how I am contradicting myself.  Don't appeal to science.  Science is not the issue. The issue is "the inspiration of Scripture" and what it means to be "inspired".

Perhaps this is a topic of its own, but I do not know how to start one and doubt (since I am still deemed a seeker) I could start one.

clb

"no one gets fired up about scientific claims regarding digestion, or diabetes, or how to get a rocket on the moon!"

I find it interesting that nobody "gets fired up" about how much time Jonah was in the Fish or How may days the Hebrews marched around Jericho.  They only question it in Genesis :mgdetective:

"I will present my position (not a scientific one, but a matter of faith)"

then, and only...... "I believe the earth to be very, very, very old."

And....?  What is your "Faith" based on?

"Don't appeal to science.  Science is not the issue."

So you're attempting to set the Ground Rules?  "Science isn't the issue, eh?  OK. answer the question above concerning "What is your "Faith" based on?" and I will answer your question.

"The issue is "the inspiration of Scripture" and what it means to be "inspired"."

That seems to be your issue and not mine.  "Inspired" is GOD BREATHED.

Slight corrections.

And the tree was the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil ...

Well, since majoring on minors seems to be the order of the day, the tree is not called that either: in Genesis 3, it is referred to as the tree in the middle of the garden (Amplified Bible) and/or the tree God commanded Adam and Eve not to partake of because eating its fruit will give one the knowledge of the differences between good and evil/blessing and calamity.

Re apples and Eve, tomatoes are also blood-red -- a color traditionally associated with hazard/warning -- and were once thought poisonous.

Guest shiloh357

Slight corrections.

And the tree was the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil ...

Well, since majoring on minors seems to be the order of the day, the tree is not called that either: in Genesis 3, it is referred to only as the tree in the middle of the garden (Amplified Bible) and/or the tree God commanded not to partake of because eating its fruit will give one the knowledge of the differences between good and evil/blessing and calamity.

Re apples and Eve, tomatoes are also blood-red -- a color traditionally associated with hazard/warning -- and were once thought poisonous.

More accurately, the phrase "good and evil" is a Hebraic figure of speech known as a merism.  It is an expression that expresses totality in terms of polarity.  It's like saying, "I searched high and low,"  meant mean that one as searched everywhere.

It wasnt about know the differences between good and evil.  It was about having knowledge of all things, good and evil. 

As for the apple... there was no apple mentioned either.  The fruit on the tree was a fruit that the Bible doesn't specify and it was the only of its kind.  We most likely have no fruit today that would have served that purpose.